Owen County 65 North Oldham 48

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Owen the favorite to win the 8th?

Not out and out favorites, no I don't think so. I'd say split between them and Oldham, with South Oldham a dark horse capable of beating either on any given night. Owen finds/will find themselves (in my opinion) with them having the best player on the floor, and several other teams having the next best 3-4 players. I personally think this will be the case with Anderson Thursday. Williams has been able to throw them all on his back a lot of games and carry them to victory. That recipe will catch up to them eventually, and it might happen in the region tournament.

With all that said...Williams is one heck of a high school player and he doesn't shy away from taking over when he needs to and willing his team on to victory.

Not out and out favorites, no I don't think so. I'd say split between them and Oldham, with South Oldham a dark horse capable of beating either on any given night. Owen finds/will find themselves (in my opinion) with them having the best player on the floor, and several other teams having the next best 3-4 players. I personally think this will be the case with Anderson Thursday. Williams has been able to throw them all on his back a lot of games and carry them to victory. That recipe will catch up to them eventually, and it might happen in the region tournament.

With all that said...Williams is one heck of a high school player and he doesn't shy away from taking over when he needs to and willing his team on to victory.

Come on Big V, they're 14-0 in the region, played a fairly difficult schedule, ranked 11th in the state by BGP (which is the only one that matters). They're the favorites.

Anderson OT win vs Carroll, and Owen has not had a problem with Carroll, running clock I think. If the good Anderson shows up it could be interesting with them and Anderson. But I will tell you Owen has 1 great player and in my opinion after watching them you are not giving their other guys credit. One of them was all region performer last year, and I am sure Toftness will be this year. Beating Oldham and South Oldham on back to back nights would be tough for any team, the draw is important! However South gave up 85 points last night to Eminence. It is a wild year in Ky.

Come on Big V, they're 14....

Prohibitive favorites? No, I don't think so. I don't think their schedule has been all that tough...the 4 in my opinion good quality teams they have played (Trinity, Ballard, South Laurel and Murray) they are 1-3. 9 of their 14 region wins are against Trimble Co, Carroll Co (2), Gallatin Co (2) Henry Co (2) and Eminence (2). far far from any murderers row. They have yet to play any of the teams rated on BGP as top 4 in the region, but that will change Thursday night when they play Anderson (4th rated team in region 8) at Anderson. And I believe they play South Oldham Saturday. These next two games will be a much better barometer as to where they stand in the 8th I think.

They are co-favorites with Oldham because of Williams. Oldham is the more complete team. South is small but can get crazy from 3 land. Anderson is young and inconsistent but can beat any of them on a given night as proven by the beat down they gave South a couple weeks ago. The region is faaaaaaaar from just handing it to Owen and in my mind they are not the out right favorites.

Edited by True blue (and gold)
quote tags

Anderson OT win vs Carroll, and Owen has not had a problem with Carroll, running clock I think. If the good Anderson shows up it could be interesting with them and Anderson. But I will tell you Owen has 1 great player and in my opinion after watching them you are not giving their other guys credit. One of them was all region performer last year, and I am sure Toftness will be this year. Beating Oldham and South Oldham on back to back nights would be tough for any team, the draw is important! However South gave up 85 points last night to Eminence. It is a wild year in Ky.

Never know what Anderson team will show up...the one who can win region, or the one who lost to Gallatin County in triple ot. If you open the dictionary and look up the word "inconsistent", Webster is now printing this years Anderson Co team photo beside it.

Carson deserves better than keyboard musclemen like this.

Carson Williams has been widely praised on this site throughout his high school career. As a sophomore, he was named to the 10-player all BGP team. When few were paying attention to Owen County, Williams and the Rebels were getting a lot of push here. His commitment to NKU was met with much joy on this board, which you can read about here: http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-boys-basketball/carson-williams-commits-308872.html.

He deserves praise and that's largely what he has received here.

Prohibitive favorites? No, I don't think so. I don't think their schedule has been all that tough...the 4 in my opinion good quality teams they have played (Trinity, Ballard, South Laurel and Murray) they are 1-3. 9 of their 14 region wins are against Trimble Co, Carroll Co (2), Gallatin Co (2) Henry Co (2) and Eminence (2). far far from any murderers row. They have yet to play any of the teams rated on BGP as top 4 in the region, but that will change Thursday night when they play Anderson (4th rated team in region 8) at Anderson. And I believe they play South Oldham Saturday. These next two games will be a much better barometer as to where they stand in the 8th I think.

They are co-favorites with Oldham because of Williams. Oldham is the more complete team. South is small but can get crazy from 3 land. Anderson is young and inconsistent but can beat any of them on a given night as proven by the beat down they gave South a couple weeks ago. The region is faaaaaaaar from just handing it to Owen and in my mind they are not the out right favorites.

There are three favorites in the 8th Region. Owen County is one of them and favorite #1. South Oldham is #2. Oldham County is #3.

Last year folks criticized Owen County's schedule. They stepped it up big time this season and their schedule still gets criticized. And they are 4-3 against quality teams. You left out Taylor County, North Laurel and Morgan County and they still will face South Oldham and Oldham County. Any team that is a favorite to win their region should be considered a quality team IMO and those three teams you left out are all top teams in their region. I'll also add that Owen County doesn't have any bad losses.

I believe Oldham County is 4-5 against quality teams and I didn't include Valley in that tally and I am unsure if I should so I left them out.

Owen is definitely the favorite, with a few teams that could beat them on a given night but the mix will have to be right because Owen will not quit. They have to much moxie. The draw is important and winning on back to back nights is extremely tough. It will be a great tournament to watch. Carson is by far the best player in the region.

There are three favorites in the 8th Region. Owen County is one of them and favorite #1. South Oldham is #2. Oldham County is #3.

Last year folks criticized Owen County's schedule. They stepped it up big time this season and their schedule still gets criticized. And they are 4-3 against quality teams. You left out Taylor County, North Laurel and Morgan County and they still will face South Oldham and Oldham County. Any team that is a favorite to win their region should be considered a quality team IMO and those three teams you left out are all top teams in their region. I'll also add that Owen County doesn't have any bad losses.

I believe Oldham County is 4-5 against quality teams and I didn't include Valley in that tally and I am unsure if I should so I left them out.

North Laurel? Good record, pretty terrible schedule, just can't say how good they really are and I haven't seen them play to give any sort of "eye" test. Taylor Co was pretty sad through the mid part of the season and was just not playing well, not sure how solid a win that is either. Saw Morgan Co play, not a bad little team with a very good player so if you want to count that as a quality win, ok. Undefeated in region, but again a very weak region schedule so far, beating up on the bottom feeders for the most part, playing Carroll, Gallatin, Henry and Eminence, all twice each with a game against Trimble as well, having yet to play any of the current top 4 teams as listed by BGP, which will change tomorrow night and Tuesday with Anderson and South Oldham.

If you want to list region favorites as 1A Owen and 1B Oldham, with a close 2 to South, I can do that. And you are always dangerous when you have the best player in region, and possibly the state.

Don't forget the Henry Clay victory, my good man.