Owen County 65 North Oldham 48

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

North Laurel? Good record, pretty terrible schedule, just can't say how good they really are and I haven't seen them play to give any sort of "eye" test. Taylor Co was pretty sad through the mid part of the season and was just not playing well, not sure how solid a win that is either. Saw Morgan Co play, not a bad little team with a very good player so if you want to count that as a quality win, ok. Undefeated in region, but again a very weak region schedule so far, beating up on the bottom feeders for the most part, playing Carroll, Gallatin, Henry and Eminence, all twice each with a game against Trimble as well, having yet to play any of the current top 4 teams as listed by BGP, which will change tomorrow night and Tuesday with Anderson and South Oldham.

If you want to list region favorites as 1A Owen and 1B Oldham, with a close 2 to South, I can do that. And you are always dangerous when you have the best player in region, and possibly the state.

So other region favorites mean nothing to you in terms of quality wins and South Oldham beating Oldham County by 10 already doesn't grant them favorite status over Oldham County.

Duly noted.

Come on Big V, they're 14

Prohibitive favorites? No, I don't think so. I don't think their schedule has been all that tough...the 4 in my opinion good quality teams they have played (Trinity, Ballard, South Laurel and Murray) they are 1-3. 9 of their 14 region wins are against Trimble Co, Carroll Co (2), Gallatin Co (2) Henry Co (2) and Eminence (2). far far from any murderers row. They have yet to play any of the teams rated on BGP as top 4 in the region, but that will change Thursday night when they play Anderson (4th rated team in region 8) at Anderson. And I believe they play South Oldham Saturday. These next two games will be a much better barometer as to where they stand in the 8th I think.

They are co-favorites with Oldham because of Williams. Oldham is the more complete team. South is small but can get crazy from 3 land. Anderson is young and inconsistent but can beat any of them on a given night as proven by the beat down they gave South a couple weeks ago. The region is faaaaaaaar from just handing it to Owen and in my mind they are not the out right favorites.

I say South Oldham is a bit tougher to guard than Oldham. South beat them by double figures last month. It could come down to Owen County and South Oldham. South will have to decide whether to triple team Williams and risk giving up open looks to some good shooters, or play him straight up and take away the perimeter guys. North tried to triple him last night and he still went for 30+ and 17 rebounds. Great game coming up with Owen County and South Oldham, will be a fun contest!

So other region favorites mean nothing to you in terms of quality wins and South Oldham beating Oldham County by 10 already doesn't grant them favorite status over Oldham County.

Duly noted.

South Oldham is really good, their three-point shooting is best in the 8th Region. I think South is a little better overall than Oldham. Oldham has five solid players, but not quite as good as the kid for South who made about 10 threes in a game last week. I do not want to butcher his name, but he is really good when left open, and it doesn't matter if he's 30 feet out. You have to get on him, or it's a three!

Not out and out favorites, no I don't think so. I'd say split between them and Oldham, with South Oldham a dark horse capable of beating either on any given night. Owen finds/will find themselves (in my opinion) with them having the best player on the floor, and several other teams having the next best 3-4 players. I personally think this will be the case with Anderson Thursday. Williams has been able to throw them all on his back a lot of games and carry them to victory. That recipe will catch up to them eventually, and it might happen in the region tournament.

With all that said...Williams is one heck of a high school player and he doesn't shy away from taking over when he needs to and willing his team on to victory.

Since South already beat Oldham Co by 10, I'd certainly say that they can beat them. :lol2:

Duly noted.

And Oldham could very well play South tonight and beat them by 15. As you have said this is one crazy season...so what's your point?

The bold part is what amazes me about some people. They simply ignore already played, head to head match...

Nobody is ignoring a dang thing. I think Oldham is the better team on a given night. On that night they lost. Anderson beat South by 30 but I don't see BGP chomping at the bit to move them above South in the region rankings.

Edited by True blue (and gold)
fixed quote tags

And South HAS to hit a lot of 3's to win against good competition. They all have holes for sure.

You are correct. Any high school team will have a weakness or two, even the best. South doesn't rebound particularly well, their quickness is also an issue. But they can knock down three-pointers like crazy. South could pull off some unexpected wins in the regional because of their outside shooting. That is why I can't wait for their game with Owen County coming up on the 13th. Two totally contrasting styles of play, both with strengths that offset the other's.