Paul DePodesta has a new job

As the Cleveland Browns' Chief Strategy Officer in the front office. Paul is best known as the based on character played by Jonah Hill in "Moneyball." He started in the CFL front office as an intern and then landed a job with the Cleveland Indians in scouting and talent evaluation. Most recently he was in the Mets front office.

My question is "Is there an analytics system to be used in football which could propel the Browns to success?" Only time will tell.

Haslam is up to something. He has been consulting with various football people and as soon as the 16th game was over he cleaned house and has been putting pieces in place immediately. Next hire is a coach.

People in Cleveland are skeptical (with good reason) but it appears Haslam is doing his best to right the ship. (Yea, yeah, I know. So far he hasn't been successful)

My question is "Is there an analytics system to be used in football which could propel the Browns to success?" Only time will tell.

I'm intrigued by the possibilities as an NFL fan, but I'm not convinced football is data rich enough for statistical analyses to overcome human biases in scouting departments. In other words, a good scout ought to be able to identify talent/skill in a way that isn't easily quantifiable in football. "Moneyball" is the opposite story, but baseball is saturated in hard numbers.

I also read there are other teams in the NFL who have already turned to analytics including the Patriots, so maybe it's not a bad thing. Just seems a little too desperate for me for some reason.

Saw something on Twitter that basically said the best organizations have been using these analytics in the NFL for years, so it's not like the Browns are getting some type of head start with this idea like many are reporting.

The Browns will be the first NFL team to go all in on the analytics approach. They are basing everything in their organizational structure around using analytics. I have been using baseball analytics in fantasy leagues for over 10 years and it definitely has value in baseball. I don't know enough about football analytics to say what value it has but obviously people dedicated to the sport now believe that it can be used. Does anyone on this site have a clue about how analytics work in football? That is probably a good idea for a new thread