9/11 responders bill defeated by GOP

I'm not against the bill. I asked an honest question.

I haven't read the entire bill or what all is attached to it. In theory it sounds like a great idea. But it's my experience whenever democrats propose a spending bill there are hidden expenditures or people who benefit. Does anyone have the text or highlights of the bill.

Who do the Federal taxpayers owe first veterans of the military or municipal employees ?

Well, one way would be to cut back on that foreign aid we keep sending out and set aside that money for purposes like this.

image.jpeg

I agree. I know that chart is a few years old but you could easily find 7 billion.

Also interesting that the President who is against Israel provides more aid to them than the previous administration.

Again, as a retied FF/Paramedic, I am for the bill.

I am also for it being paid for. We can't simply keep adding to the national debt. We're nearly $20 trillion in the hole already.

Sage advice from my Grandmother, when you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.

Are there certain things like, say , a war that warrant expenditures despite what it does to debt?

Typical. No answers.

You're the one who said if we can't pay for it we shouldn't spend the money. You even quoted Grandma.

So I assume you are saying in your response that you don't ALWAYS mean what you typed. So that tells me you have priorities which makes sense. It's not a black and white, cut and dry issue even though your generalization would seem to imply you think it is.

So that tells me that you're cool with national security issues adding to the debt but not all healthcare issues for these folks.

To be clear, NO judgement is being passed. As I said, it's not black and white. My point, obviously, was to to show that your blanket statement was not really what you meant.

You're the one who said if we can't pay for it we shouldn't spend the money. You even quoted Grandma.

So I assume you are saying in your response that you don't ALWAYS mean what you typed. So that tells me you have priorities which makes sense. It's not a black and white, cut and dry issue even though your generalization would seem to imply you think it is.

So that tells me that you're cool with national security issues adding to the debt but not all healthcare issues for these folks.

To be clear, NO judgement is being passed. As I said, it's not black and white. My point, obviously, was to to show that your blanket statement was not really what you meant.

I'll make it simple for you Clyde, if we can't pay for it we don't need to add it to the debt.

Is that clear enough for you?

Why won't the Dems agree to any spending cuts to offset the cost?

Not much has been written in the breakdown of this go around for this bill, but the last version in 2010 was a black eye for the Senate Republicans, who failed to pass a bill that passed the House rather easily. They chose to filibuster this bill because the democrats couldn't come to terms with tax cuts in the 2011 budget talks.