Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky 88 Eastern Kentucky 67

Featured Replies

Good to see people come back down to earth on this team, after some of the stuff said after the Duke game lol. This team has the talent to make a run, but has a lot of things to improve on a long the way. The lack of shooters scare me though. Cal always has the athletes, however the teams for Cal that really were not good shooting teams from the outside struggled. Two of the three worst shooting teams from the outside failed to make the final four. I do think this team will get better from the outside though when Murray gets more consistent, then Ullis and hopefully Willis.

We'll see how well Cal can coach during the course of this season. He may have to mix and match and try new things. It should be a fun challenge for him and the staff.

Kentucky's major issues are pretty easy to identify...

 

- they have no physical presence in the post; aka no muscle

 

- Skal and Murray have been largely disappointing based on the expectations we were given

 

- They don't "get it" defensively yet

 

- They can't shoot

 

This team is going to lose (more than you expect) as they go through the learning process.

 

They'll be fine in February and March.

 

Skal looks like that 7'5" guy that is just put onto a roster because he is tall. Way behind the curve, but he should improve. Too skilled not to.

 

Murray, I feel, has not been put into a position to flourish. He is a PG now forced into playing off the ball. Just looks out of place.

I know he's not the best defensive player by any means but I think Cal is going to have to utilize Willis a lot more than he has, give him more minutes and give him the green light similar to what Murray has been given. He's the type of player that seems to have to get into that so-called "comfort zone". He may miss a couple of shots but then he may hit four straight. Maybe I'm wrong. I've never coached above JV but it appears that one of the deficiencies of this team is the ability to knock down shots. Willis gives them a legitimate threat from deep range, but he can't be looking toward the bench every time he misses a shot. He has to be as relaxed as he is in practice sessions.

Just spit balling here but:

 

What if Cal moved Skal to a High Post type offense and take advantage of his smooth shot from 12 to 15 feet? Have the Murray's and Briscoe's crash the board and use Poythress and Lee for post up duty.

 

Don't know.

Just spit balling here but:

 

What if Cal moved Skal to a High Post type offense and take advantage of his smooth shot from 12 to 15 feet? Have the Murray's and Briscoe's crash the board and use Poythress and Lee for post up duty.

 

Don't know.

 

I've been thinking along the same lines.

Just spit balling here but:

 

What if Cal moved Skal to a High Post type offense and take advantage of his smooth shot from 12 to 15 feet? Have the Murray's and Briscoe's crash the board and use Poythress and Lee for post up duty.

 

Don't know.

 

Sounds like something worth a try. What's being attempted right now isn't working very well. Skal simply isn't a low post banger.

I saw parts of the game. A W is a W but UK didn't look like what I expected.

 

As I always do, I'll clarify that I am not a UK fan at all. However, I am interested to see how they look after Camp Cal. That will tell everyone a lot more about them.

Ulis is the only difference in this becoming the 2013 debacle. If he doesn't stay healthy this year could be ugly.

Kentucky is now No. 332 out of 351 Division I teams in 3-point shooting %

Ulis is the only difference in this becoming the 2013 debacle. If he doesn't stay healthy this year could be ugly.

 

While I think we definitely need some work, that seems like a drastic to me. I mean, Julius Mays was one of our better players that year.

 

And 2013 wouldn't have been a total debacle had our best player not torn his ACL. I believe they would have been a tournament team had that not happened.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.