Kentucky Has Third Highest Female Incarceration Rate in the World !

Science Friction

I don't know, Jim, but I'd say a lot of them are due to meth or meth-related offenses. I know we have a huge problem with that. Seems like in our local papers, there is a meth roundup every week or two and seems like a pretty good number of those are women. Just a guess , though. Maybe in Texas they just send the women straight to the execution chamber. :idunno:

This is true. Meth seems to be an equal opportunity drug, as is smack, and we're thick with it in Ky. Certain other crimes tend to be guys' territory.

That list has the Rate for KY at 220 per 100,000, that would mean with a total population of 4,413,000 in Kentucky there should be around 9,700 hundred women in Kentucky Jails in Prisons...Correct?

Even if you just use the number of women in Kentucky, approximately 2,242,000, there should be 4,931 women in Kentucky Prisons and Jails...Correct?

AS of November 15th there were only 2,552 women in Kentucky Prisons and Jails http://corrections.ky.gov/about/Documents/Research%20and%20Statistics/Monthly%20Reports/Inmate%20Profile/2015/Inmate%20Profile%2011-2015.pdf ...far below what is being reported in that link.

That list has the Rate for KY at 220 per 100,000, that would mean with a total population of 4,413,000 in Kentucky there should be around 9,700 hundred women in Kentucky Jails in Prisons...Correct?

Even if you just use the number of women in Kentucky, approximately 2,242,000, there should be 4,931 women in Kentucky Prisons and Jails...Correct?

AS of November 15th there were only 2,552 women in Kentucky Prisons and Jails http://corrections.ky.gov/about/Documents/Research%20and%20Statistics/Monthly%20Reports/Inmate%20Profile/2015/Inmate%20Profile%2011-2015.pdf ...far below what is being reported in that link.

From the PPI study:

We choose to use U.S. Census data because we wanted to be sure to include all the forms of incarceration in the United States. (The Bureau of Justice Statistics has not published state-level estimates of the U.S. jail population — which makes up 30% of the total mass incarceration pie — since 2006.) We used U.S. Census 2010 data that shows the total number of people in each state who are confined in local, state, and federal adult correctional facilities. The women's population was calculated by aggregating female population reported for all age groups in these adult correctional facilities.

This powerful census dataset comes with one quirk worth discussing: the Census Bureau counts incarcerated people as if they were residents of prison locations rather than their home communities. In the case of state prison systems that send a large number of people to prisons in other states, or in the context of federal prisons, this Census Bureau residence determination can influence a state's incarceration rate calculated with that data. A significant portion of West Virginia (61%), Connecticut (51%) and Minnesota's (43%) female prison population appear to be women in federal facilities located within the state's borders. We did not attempt to factor out these populations for two reasons. First, as a practical matter, systematically disentangling the Census Bureau's reported incarcerated populations into discrete jurisdictional categories is impractical. And secondly, federal prisons are not sited randomly; states which host federal prisons are active partners in buoying incarceratio

From the PPI study:

We choose to use U.S. Census data because we wanted to be sure to include all the forms of incarceration in the United States. (The Bureau of Justice Statistics has not published state-level estimates of the U.S. jail population — which makes up 30% of the total mass incarceration pie — since 2006.) We used U.S. Census 2010 data that shows the total number of people in each state who are confined in local, state, and federal adult correctional facilities. The women's population was calculated by aggregating female population reported for all age groups in these adult correctional facilities.

This powerful census dataset comes with one quirk worth discussing: the Census Bureau counts incarcerated people as if they were residents of prison locations rather than their home communities. In the case of state prison systems that send a large number of people to prisons in other states, or in the context of federal prisons, this Census Bureau residence determination can influence a state's incarceration rate calculated with that data. A significant portion of West Virginia (61%), Connecticut (51%) and Minnesota's (43%) female prison population appear to be women in federal facilities located within the state's borders. We did not attempt to factor out these populations for two reasons. First, as a practical matter, systematically disentangling the Census Bureau's reported incarcerated populations into discrete jurisdictional categories is impractical. And secondly, federal prisons are not sited randomly; states which host federal prisons are active partners in buoying incarceratio

That's all well and good but as of right now this moment there are considerably less incarcerated women in Kentucky than that list is trying to say.

There are less than a 1000 females at FMC Lexington a Federal Medical Facility, I don't think there is another Federal Female Institution in KY.

So even adding the 1000 federal inmates the number that group uses appears to be considerably off from what the current numbers show.

That's all well and good but as of right now this moment there are considerably less incarcerated women in Kentucky than that list is trying to say.

There are less than a 1000 females at FMC Lexington a Federal Medical Facility, I don't think there is another Federal Female Institution in KY.

So even adding the 1000 federal inmates the number that group uses appears to be considerably off from what the current numbers show.

Not sure J-dad. I may try to see what I can find out. Maybe some sorry Census workers in KY....Hey wait, I worked in the 2010 Census. :)

I'd say it was lazy or results driven fact finding, for it to be that far off.

It took me 20 seconds to find out how many women were in KY jails and Prisons as of last week. Took less than a second to see what the census said the KY POP was...I'd say they were out to make a point and used what ever numbers they could to make this look bad.

That said, From Stolen Checks and Credit Cards, Til Tappers, Internal Theft and Shop Lifters...I'd guess the male/female split was 70% female and 30% male over 30 years.

Some interesting Stats here...Crimes Women Are More Likely Than Men To Commit