October 28, 201510 yr I do know I have attended SRO training. I have not LEO and you are correct you can't cover everything in Policy and Procedures. However, this really wasn't that difficult to diffuse. You wait her out. As long as she is sitting there it doesn't matter what she says. Now if she attacks him, that would be different, but I doubt any training has an officer throw them like a rag doll. Believe me, I do understand how difficult situations like this can be. I have seen them. I absolutely respect and admire law officers, but not when they do this. So you are OK with her striking the officer? You are OK with her interfering with, let's say, my child's education just to placate her? That's the problem with school systems these days, you allow the inmates to run the asylum to a large extent. Too afraid of lawsuits.
October 28, 201510 yr So you are OK with her striking the officer? You are OK with her interfering with, let's say, my child's education just to placate her? That's the problem with school systems these days, you allow the inmates to run the asylum to a large extent. Too afraid of lawsuits. Where did I ever say that I am ok with anything she did. But from what I saw on the video is something that never should have gotten to this level. In my experience in 15 minutes I would have had her out of there in my office. She probably would have called me every name in the book, maybe threatened me, etc. There are many days of education that are wasted that take up much more time than this would have. But that is another topic another day maybe. Now as a Superintendent, I have to fire an employee, deal with the NAACP (which is not a joyful time in these situations), deal with her lawyer that is going to tell me he/she is going to own house blah blah blah. Deal with the media who will try and make me and the district look incompetent. Spend tens of thousands of your dollars to defend this unnecessary stuff and disrupt school no telling how many weeks. You bet I would wait her out. They hate that by the way. I would have liked for the principal to deal with her by giving her as strong as consequence is necessary and if it warrants expulsion (probably doesn't) I'd do it. Now somebody close to her is going to get paid. You can bet on it. That is wrong on many levels, also.
October 28, 201510 yr Where did I ever say that I am ok with anything she did. But from what I saw on the video is something that never should have gotten to this level. In my experience in 15 minutes I would have had her out of there in my office. She probably would have called me every name in the book, maybe threatened me, etc. There are many days of education that are wasted that take up much more time than this would have. But that is another topic another day maybe. Now as a Superintendent, I have to fire an employee, deal with the NAACP (which is not a joyful time in these situations), deal with her lawyer that is going to tell me he/she is going to own house blah blah blah. Deal with the media who will try and make me and the district look incompetent. Spend tens of thousands of your dollars to defend this unnecessary stuff and disrupt school no telling how many weeks. You bet I would wait her out. They hate that by the way. I would have liked for the principal to deal with her by giving her as strong as consequence is necessary and if it warrants expulsion (probably doesn't) I'd do it. Now somebody close to her is going to get paid. You can bet on it. That is wrong on many levels, also. Again, this is allowing the inmates to run the asylum. That is one of the more troubling problems with our school systems.
October 28, 201510 yr Again, this is allowing the inmates to run the asylum. That is one of the more troubling problems with our school systems. Sorry you don't understand, but they are not running most and shouldn't here. This really was common sense. But egos sometimes get in the way of that. Again, this was not very difficult to handle. Done it bunches as have others. Don't necessary like it, but it is what it is.
October 28, 201510 yr If she was a skinny blonde girl does anyone think he would have thrown her across the room? I don't. You can't be serious, I'm so sick of this rave baiting. If she acted the same way, I'm sure he would act the same.
October 28, 201510 yr Sorry you don't understand, but they are not running most and shouldn't here. This really was common sense. But egos sometimes get in the way of that. Again, this was not very difficult to handle. Done it bunches as have others. Don't necessary like it, but it is what it is. I understand perfectly. Once you expel the student, which in my experience is the end result many want, myself and others get to deal with them. Let's not act like all students that act in the manner the young lady in the video are just misunderstood teens. If they were, there would be no need for the multitude of diversion programs for teens or for the juvenile detention centers. You have a more Utopian view while I hold a more realistic view IMHO.
October 28, 201510 yr I understand perfectly. Once you expel the student, which in my experience is the end result many want, myself and others get to deal with them. Let's not act like all students that act in the manner the young lady in the video are just misunderstood teens. If they were, there would be no need for the multitude of diversion programs for teens or for the juvenile detention centers. You have a more Utopian view while I hold a more realistic view IMHO. Believe me it is not Utopia. Never even had that view. I do believe schools are for kids not adults and that it is really tough to get adults to agree what students need, academically, behaviorally and socially. The last thing most educators want to do is expel a student. Students mess up and some mess up badly. There must and has to be a safety net for them. I do know this you will not punish some of these students out of these behaviors. The idea that educators are not tough enough or "real" as you believe you are is just not true. Someone handling it differently is fine and I am ok if that person wants to deal with something that is unnecessary. I made stands many times that if I had to do it over again would have done much differently. Sometimes against my personal beliefs. Not because I was wrong, but because I tried to hammer a nail when all I needed to do was put a little glue on it. I learned a long time ago that for me, I won't judge someone until I walk in their shoes and then really not judge these too much. There is probably a lot more to this than any of us will know. But probably this wasn't this young ladies first time doing something like this and there has been ways to handle her. Not stop her behavior but manage her. I read and have no idea if it is true that this policeman has had what the news outlet described as three other allegations of violence against a black person sine 2005. He was acquitted of all. Does make one wonder about him, though. Believe me I have lived your reality, but if having faith young people might change is wrong then count me guilty.
October 29, 201510 yr Believe me it is not Utopia. Never even had that view. I do believe schools are for kids not adults and that it is really tough to get adults to agree what students need, academically, behaviorally and socially. The last thing most educators want to do is expel a student. Students mess up and some mess up badly. There must and has to be a safety net for them. I do know this you will not punish some of these students out of these behaviors. The idea that educators are not tough enough or "real" as you believe you are is just not true. Someone handling it differently is fine and I am ok if that person wants to deal with something that is unnecessary. I made stands many times that if I had to do it over again would have done much differently. Sometimes against my personal beliefs. Not because I was wrong, but because I tried to hammer a nail when all I needed to do was put a little glue on it. I learned a long time ago that for me, I won't judge someone until I walk in their shoes. Just curious, were you the type of principal and administrator who had the back of your teachers? The way you are speaking you really sound like you side and give the benefit of the doubt to the student. I really am not judging but trying to figure it out, because if that's how you ran your schools j understand your thinking now, and I can say as a teacher I would not feel comfortable if I didn't think my principal did not have my back 100% I have had some really bad situations with students and never once had my principal ever questioned if it was me or the student telling the truth and luckily he always moved to get those dangerous students out of school. I would never feel comfortable or want to work in a school where my administrators gave benefit of the doubt to students over educators. If I am wrong about you I apologize but that post really gave me that feeling.
October 29, 201510 yr I would think the vast majority teachers did believe I backed them and some thought I was too tough on students. I do know the students that I see out and about said I was one they didn't want to see. If you did the deed you were going to pay the consequence that the policy say we deliver. It is tough when you don't have video evidence. When it got to brass tacks, i believed the adult the vast majority of time. But if teachers continue to have different students say the same thing about a teacher and those students are rarely if ever in trouble, I would bring the teacher in and tell them I would no longer back them in this situation and informed them how to handle it. I had a very short memory, however. Once students were given their consequence, then it was a new day for them. I had the most problems with teachers that just could not let go of things students did. I knew absolutely how difficult teaching was because I was in every classroom every day and talked to two students in those classrooms and asked what they were learning that day. I had a really good idea which teachers were effective and which were problems. I had many teachers that hardly ever sent students to the office, it was very rare that they were not backed. I also had teachers that sent 10-20 a day. That is an adult issue, especially when no other teachers had issues with that student. Was I liked, didn't really care, but believe I was respected by students, staff and parents. I remember saying to teachers at times, I am not here for your personal happiness. That may seem harsh, but our job was to educate students, not make teachers happy. In this instance, what I saw this SRO do is and would be unacceptable when there is in my mind and experiences a better way to handle it. I find t hard to believe that any training would have a person do this when someone did no more than she. Finally, when you do deliver a consequence, especially when it is a gray area, people will disagree. I could sleep at night if I did what I thought was right for the student, punished or not. Many, many times I had much more information than any one else, except the parent. If adults were mad, I could sleep very well. I do understand why people would think I was taking the side of the student here. Really that student should be dealt with appropriately and firmly. But the adult was way way out of bounds. Finally, I truly believed everyone should be treated fairly and sometimes, rarely, being consistent just wasn't fair. That was tough for more than a few to understand. But again, in my experiences are that people would rather be treated fairly. I realize and understand life isn't always fair, but if I could help make it fair I would.
October 29, 201510 yr I admit that I haven't read all 18 pages of this thread. IMO, the girl was a punk who knew how to push the right buttons of both her teacher and the officer. Clearly she has no respect for either. I don't have any sympathy for her. Unfortunately, the officer took her bait. If the issue was her refusing to leave the classroom, why didn't the officer simply pull her out of the room by pulling the desk out with her in it? That would have been easy for him to do, and would make her look "tough stand" look stupid.
October 29, 201510 yr As many here know, I've been a high school teacher for twenty years. From the very first post and video, I keep asking why the need to take the girl out of the classroom at all. If she wouldn't quit texting or using her phone, you tell her to put it up and if she still doesn't, you simply deal with it through principals after the fact. Getting into an ultimatum never works in a positive manner with teenagers in a classroom. You put the kid in a place of needing to "save face" and the situation will just deteriorate from there. To me, there was just simply no need to remove her, no need to call an administrator on the spot and certainly no need for a SRO to do what he did. I don't know all of the ends and outs of this particular situation, but if I were the teacher and this happened, I wouldn't be able to sleep. No one did the right thing here. Not the girl, not the teacher or administrator and not the SRO.
October 29, 201510 yr Sheriff said the SRO's act of throwing the student is what got him fired. It violated policy. Would be interesting to know how many other deputies have been terminated for violating one policy.
October 29, 201510 yr It is unbelievable your defense of this officer. There is no way I can see the defense of this guy, none. Again, if he or ANYONE did this to a student under my care as a principal or administrator, they would be removed and charged to the max that I could. This is a complete lack of training and understanding of what to do. You don't put your hand on kids unless you are in danger or others are. That is not the case here. If you think it is, I have no clue what you are seeing. You have described what you have seen, but I have not seen that. The sheriff fired him, that is pretty telling to me if the SRO should have done that or not. I am amazed that he is being seen in another light than abusing a kid. I shouldn't be, however, because there are those that think violence is the answer. The sheriff didn't fire him for putting his hands on a child. Which you're stating should never be done by an officer unless there's a known danger, that's simply not the truth.
October 29, 201510 yr If she was a skinny blonde girl does anyone think he would have thrown her across the room? I don't. And what information are you basing that assumption on?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.