October 29, 201510 yr I have posted a bunch in this thread, kinda burned out on it. But I want to say, since I am often critical of school administrators, that I am very impressed by the responses of several of the BGP posters who are teachers/administrators. The responses have been measured, fair, realistic, and thru the lens of serving the students' needs. Kudos, and thank you for your careers of serving students.
October 29, 201510 yr Would be interesting to know how many other deputies have been terminated for violating one policy. Especially since they did it violates policy because he let go of her...Apparently not because of excessive force.
October 29, 201510 yr Author Before You Applaud Termination Of Officer, Here's The One Thing You Missed 100% false statement that the throw was the fault of the girl.
October 29, 201510 yr Author As many here know, I've been a high school teacher for twenty years. From the very first post and video, I keep asking why the need to take the girl out of the classroom at all. If she wouldn't quit texting or using her phone, you tell her to put it up and if she still doesn't, you simply deal with it through principals after the fact. Getting into an ultimatum never works in a positive manner with teenagers in a classroom. You put the kid in a place of needing to "save face" and the situation will just deteriorate from there. To me, there was just simply no need to remove her, no need to call an administrator on the spot and certainly no need for a SRO to do what he did. I don't know all of the ends and outs of this particular situation, but if I were the teacher and this happened, I wouldn't be able to sleep. No one did the right thing here. Not the girl, not the teacher or administrator and not the SRO. Good call on just letting her go as long as she wasn't disrupting the class. Just let others deal with the problem without disrupting the education of the other kids. I would hope all schools would be taking a look at this and figuring out a better way to handle it.
October 29, 201510 yr If I worked for the sheriff's department in that county, there's zero chance you could get me to take that SRO job.
October 29, 201510 yr Author If I worked for the sheriff's department in that county, there's zero chance you could get me to take that SRO job. My guess is that most officers in any department would pass on a SRO position.
October 29, 201510 yr Some have stated in this thread to take all other students out of the room as a first step in "resolving" this situation, and keeping them out till it's resolved...how long that could be who knows. A couple have said do nothing, continue with class as if nothing is going on then confront it later. Some have agreed with these techniques. I'm sorry, and maybe I'm just stubborn, blind, don't understand, or just old school, but to me these two suggestions are the absolute WRONG way to handle it. Why? Because you are giving absolute control of the situation to the disrupter, and to me that's not a good thing. You don't think other students won't tune into this and learn that disrupting the class won't get them in that much trouble and other students will look at them as "cool" for doing it. Got a big test? Hey Bubba, disrupt the class so everybody will go to the cafeteria and get out of it today. Or maybe they see that they don't have to listen to the teacher, they can get on their phones and do what they want. Hey look, Alice is still on here phone after teacher telling her 3 times to get off, and nothing happened to her. I'm getting on mine too. If you don't think some kids think this way, then you don't know kids. Some kids will keep pushing, trying to move the "line" but won't cross it if/when you stand your ground. Some will cross it and need to be dealt with accordingly. I'm not defending the actions of the SRO here...yes I think he crossed the line along the way and it could have been approached from a different angle, but even with that it STILL may very well resulted in a physical altercation. But handing control of the situation to the student is NOT the way to go about it, in my opinion. If someone can persuade me differently, I'm listening.
October 29, 201510 yr Author Some have stated in this thread to take all other students out of the room as a first step in "resolving" this situation, and keeping them out till it's resolved...how long that could be who knows. A couple have said do nothing, continue with class as if nothing is going on then confront it later. Some have agreed with these techniques. I'm sorry, and maybe I'm just stubborn, blind, don't understand, or just old school, but to me these two suggestions are the absolute WRONG way to handle it. Why? Because you are giving absolute control of the situation to the disrupter, and to me that's not a good thing. You don't think other students won't tune into this and learn that disrupting the class won't get them in that much trouble and other students will look at them as "cool" for doing it. Got a big test? Hey Bubba, disrupt the class so everybody will go to the cafeteria and get out of it today. Or maybe they see that they don't have to listen to the teacher, they can get on their phones and do what they want. Hey look, Alice is still on here phone after teacher telling her 3 times to get off, and nothing happened to her. I'm getting on mine too. If you don't think some kids think this way, then you don't know kids. Some kids will keep pushing, trying to move the "line" but won't cross it if/when you stand your ground. Some will cross it and need to be dealt with accordingly. I'm not defending the actions of the SRO here...yes I think he crossed the line along the way and it could have been approached from a different angle, but even with that it STILL may very well resulted in a physical altercation. But handing control of the situation to the student is NOT the way to go about it, in my opinion. If someone can persuade me differently, I'm listening. Wrong assumptions on your part. First, the student was not disruptive other than not leaving. As TGB said just let her sit there and let the principal handle it after the class. Secondly, you assume she would not have been in trouble at some point after class. Why do we assume that? She not only disregarded the teacher but disregarded the administrator. Punishment was forthcoming without the SRO getting involved. Other students would see that and know what the ramifications were should they choose to take the same route of noncompliance.
October 29, 201510 yr The student was not disruptive? Yeah right. The entire situation was caused by the student. I guarantee if either of my children ever act like this, they'll have bigger problems than an SRO officer.
October 29, 201510 yr Agreed with Clyde. Nothing about this situation screamed out to me that getting this student out of class was the most important thing in the world. So she ignores directions from teachers and principal. Heck, maybe she would have even thrown a temper tantrum. Guess what, she's probably not going to be in the class the next day or probably any time after that. Problem solved, Sgt. Slam doesn't have to toss around a kid, and this school isn't in the news. I am amazed there are people defending this. I guarantee every teacher/administrator/cop/authority figure has had situations where this is exactly what you wanted to do, and what the "perp" probably deserved. That doesn't mean you are allowed to do it, and if you do it, it doesn't mean you are immune from punishment for your own actions, just like the student isn't immune to punishment either.
October 29, 201510 yr Author The student was not disruptive? Yeah right. The entire situation was caused by the student. I guarantee if either of my children ever act like this, they'll have bigger problems than an SRO officer. What did the student do to be disruptive to the point of getting in the way of teaching? Was she yelling? Cursing? I haven't seen one report that said she was disruptive other than telling the teacher "no." What's the harm in letting her sit there and then punishing her after class? Instead, we get a big scene.
October 29, 201510 yr Wrong assumptions on your part. First, the student was not disruptive other than not leaving. As TGB said just let her sit there and let the principal handle it after the class. Secondly, you assume she would not have been in trouble at some point after class. Why do we assume that? She not only disregarded the teacher but disregarded the administrator. Punishment was forthcoming without the SRO getting involved. Other students would see that and know what the ramifications were should they choose to take the same route of noncompliance. Your first point is wrong. She was disruptive. 2nd point. I didn't assume she wouldn't get I trouble after the fact...actually the opposite is true, I assume and would sure HOPE that if the teacher just let het sit there after being given instruction several times to leave, that if it was handled after the fact in the office that some sort of punishment would be dealt out. But we all know kids are in the "now" and that's how many of them see/live. Seeing immediate consequences to their positive or negative actions has much more affect.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.