District Tie breakers

BossHog72

Again, for me the fairest way is to decide tie breakers through district games especially seeing how district games are the only games that matter when deciding who wins district outside of tie breakers anyway. so use district games which meansd COMMON opponents to decide tie breakers also.

Now if you were going by overall record to decide district seedings then I could agree with the tie breaker that is being used today because that would mean out of district games actually do matter. But with district seedings being determined soley off of district games then you should also use district games as tie breakers because it is all against common opponents.

Again, I really don't care about running the score up but if that bothers so many people then you use a cap just like I stated earlier. You take points scored up to 50 points a game, that settles the running up the score issue.

Even college football uses computer ratings (which obviously include non-conference results) to break in-conference ties (and not if Florida or LSU beat UK worse).

By doing in-conference as the end-all, be-all in tiebreakers, you start playing for a SCORE over a RESULT. And that's not a good thing.

The 50-point cap is one thing, but then you're ignoring the defensive reserves getting benched in a blowout because the shutout is so stupidly important. I don't care if the JV or freshman get scored on in the final 3 minutes or not -- the game is already decided.

But that should NOT determine a seed.

While it might seem like the fairest way to do it, there are flaws and issues.

Do I think in-district results should determine district standings? Yes.

But how, exactly, do you fix the flaws in the data that can be exploited (while STILL encouraging sportsmanship and NOT running up the score in the last week of district play)?

I'm not sure it can be done, at all, or if there is a blatantly easy solution that I'm missing.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because district games is the only thing that decides district winners that aren't a tie, then use district games as tie breaker by using points for and against as tie breakers since all district teams all play common opponents. That is how I would do it. That way bad teams out of district can't be the determining factor because it's tough year to year to judge who will be bad especially coming off good years the year before.

Wouldn't that encourage blasting outmanned district opponents?

Wouldn't that encourage blasting outmanned district opponents?

No, that's why there is a cap on the score that counts into tie breakers. Set the cap at whatever you want but the cap prevents any intentional running the score up. Actually more than there is today.