Mercy (KY) at Notre Dame (KY) 9/3 predictions

After seeing NDA drop in the last poll, I sincerely hope the votes were cast prior to the Sacred Heart match.....NDA should be #1 .

We've now had NDA vs SH, SH vs Mercy, and SH vs Assumption to make some comparisons. In each match so far, the team that limits errors has prevailed. Mercy had 43 scoring errors and Assumotion 46 versus SH. SH had 30 against NDA. Mercy and Assumption both looked out of sync against SH--Mercy trying to replace what they lost, and Assumption....well let's just say I wouldn't want to be a participant in their next practice.

Mercy did handle NDA during their earlier scrimmage, but we all know scrimmages don't tell the whole story. Hentz was out, and does a coach reveal all of his tricks in the preseason? I suspect that if Mercy cannot limit their errors, it will be a bad evening for the Jags.

It will be interesting. NDA should be number 1 until someone in-state knocks them off. Watched NDA play Cardinal Gibbons and will agree they are much better with Morgan in the line up. Mercy is improving and will be more in sync. Home court advantage will help NDA along with the revenge factor. I suspect the NDA crowd will be in full force to support the Panda's. Mercy's youngsters should be used to playing in a hostile, loud environment by now, so the impact should be minimal. I will be cheering for Mercy! Go Jags!

NDA should win 3-0. Will probably win 3-1.

They are clearly the best in the state. I have seen Assumption and Mercy and I would say there are some public schools that could give them a run for their money (I.e. Henry Clay, Dunbar, possibly Ryle).

1. NDA

2. SHA

3. Assumption

4. Mercy

5. Henry Clay

I wouldn't say clearly the best in the state, but would rank them #1 over SHA by a narrow margin.

After seeing all four teams play, here is how I would rank.

1. NDA - no losses and handled every team they have played easily minus SHA. But a win is a win. They will advance out of their relatively easy region and be at state with a mission (vengence) of "PTS" again I am sure. They seem to be the most in sync team of the four by far and have a lot of balance. Can Hentz and Co. will them through this year?

2. SHA - only lost to NDA and by a narrow margin. Looked superior to Assumption and Mercy in both matches despite not playing very well at times. I would say they are the early favorites in Region 7. They may have the most top to bottom talent and the highest ceiling, but can they play cohesively and make a run through state (of which none of them have done before as they were knocked out in round one last year by NDA). With only one senior, they should be a force both this year and next.

3. Assumpiton - I will rank them ahead of Mercy at this time despite what I saw last night. They looked like they had no fire power on offense most of the night and a surprising lack of ball control from what is usually a DS factory. With such quality coaching, it will get better.

4. Mercy - they are young but quickly getting better. I would say due to being so young and the first year under a new coach that it will take more time to come around. They could end up leap frogging Assumption by years end if the Rockets dont get it together. Fortunately for them, they get a virtual bye into state due to their regional strength.

Looking forward, as always, to seeing the best 4 teams in the state traverse the season playing each other, trying to make a quality showing in large national tournaments and to see which of SHA/AHS makes it to the state knock out round for all the marbles.