Need some advice...

OlDog75

Need a little advice. Has anyone here had a vitrectomy done on an eye? I was treated for retinal tears by Vitreo Retinal Surgeons back last November. I’ve had two bleeding episodes a few months ago that is caused by the vitreous gel pulling away and pulling on the tiny blood vessels on back of eye, thus causing the bleeding and milky vision for a few weeks. I haven’t had any bleeding in over a month and I see pretty clearly even with the “floaters”. I also have the beginning of a cataract and they want to take care of that at the same time as the vitrectomy. I needed a new prescription for contacts so I had to see my regular eye doc today and I told him what the VRS surgeons wanted to do. He suggested that I wait to see if I have any more bleeding. The cataract is just in the very beginning stage and is really not a hindrance at this time. The vitrectomy will put me out of work for about a month and will take a long time to recover. I cannot afford to be off that long from my job and since I work part time I do not qualify for Family Medical Leave. I don’t want to lose my job. If I did, don’t know how I will cover the expenses that my health insurance won’t cover. I just don’t know whether to go ahead with it or as my regular eye doctor suggested, wait and see if I have any more bleeding if at all.

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) covers only larger employers, those with at least 50 employees. And, it covers only employees who meet these three requirements:

•You must have worked for your employer for at least a year.

•You must work at a location that has at least 50 of your company's employees within a 75-mile radius.

•You must have worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12 months immediately before you take leave.

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) covers only larger employers, those with at least 50 employees. And, it covers only employees who meet these three requirements:

•You must have worked for your employer for at least a year.

•You must work at a location that has at least 50 of your company's employees within a 75-mile radius.

•You must have worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12 months immediately before you take leave.

Thanks doomer for the info. Unfortunately I don't qualify. They make sure part timers don't get anywhere near that 1250 total at my place of employment.