Bluegrasspreps' Class 2A Rankings 08-24-15

Ram

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mayfield at #1 will totally make sense when you see them play. Same old stuff every year from folks and to my recollection, Mayfield has the same results....every year.

I think they are #1 , I was questioning someone saying they were at best third and was waiting for the Cardinal Posse to run over them.

Agree with this overview. When a 2A team plays a top ranked 6A team and hangs with them despite having two of their top players out of the game, you have to provide ample credit. CAL should maintain their ranking in my opinion, one spot after Desales. Gentle reminder guys, whoever wins the Desales/CAL match up usually wins the state title. Gaining experience against larger, stronger teams will only pay off later in the season. Kudos to the CAL coaches for putting it all out there to better their team.

Mayfield makes total sense to me as well, it is still early. Not sure who is #1 , but I do know who plays a lot tougher schedule. Same doubters every year with the same results. DeSales is the real deal, but we will see. Good luck to all teams.

I will say this. You could choose either one, and make a good case. The Colts are the defending champs. I've said all off season I was cautiously optimistic. Mayfield regardless how good they have been, still has to prove themselves in this class. I know they have played up in classes, but honestly the teams in the far west just aren't that impressive. My gauge will be when they play Corbin. I think that would be a great game that I would love to see. I like what I saw from the Colts Friday night. They looked like a championship team. Very business like. They are big, and that defense is dominate again. The other thing I liked is that they have the numbers, not just the number of bodies, but of contributors. They will wear most 2a schools down. What happens if Mayfield, late in the year loses someone. How is their depth? It's an honest question, that I don't know. How will they navigate through the playoffs, having to play A OC, and a Murray again, then following that up with a DeSales, or CAL squad. I know what DeSales brings to the table. They have been doubted by the last 2 years, but when the playoffs come, those numbers really help in our favor. Again. I'm cautiously optimistic about this team. lol

I will say this. You could choose either one, and make a good case. The Colts are the defending champs. I've said all off season I was cautiously optimistic. Mayfield regardless how good they have been, still has to prove themselves in this class. I know they have played up in classes, but honestly the teams in the far west just aren't that impressive. My gauge will be when they play Corbin. I think that would be a great game that I would love to see. I like what I saw from the Colts Friday night. They looked like a championship team. Very business like. They are big, and that defense is dominate again. The other thing I liked is that they have the numbers, not just the number of bodies, but of contributors. They will wear most 2a schools down. What happens if Mayfield, late in the year loses someone. How is their depth? It's an honest question, that I don't know. How will they navigate through the playoffs, having to play A OC, and a Murray again, then following that up with a DeSales, or CAL squad. I know what DeSales brings to the table. They have been doubted by the last 2 years, but when the playoffs come, those numbers really help in our favor. Again. I'm cautiously optimistic about this team. lol

this isn't a bad take overall. I bolded one part though, just to point out that Mayfield already has more 2A championships than DeSales. We proved ourselves in 2A long ago.

On a side note, this conversation is the same every year. The only thing that changes is the name of the other team. It's "DeSales" now. Prior to that, it was "Beechwood" Honestly, every single thing said now sounds like DeSales' fans are copying and pasting posts from years past and teams that learned painful lessons.

Been going on for forty plus years for Mayfield fans.

DeSales sounds like a good team, it should be a real good game. At least you won't have to endure another nail-biter with Murray like last year.

I'm sure some Desales fans feel slighted seeing their 2 time state champions behind the newcomer and that can lead to unorthodox comments like have been made here but there is a reason why polls place the newcomer at the top. As has been mentioned, this is nothing new to Cards fans. MF is time tested to be resilient no matter the year or class as our 11 state titles, in different class demonstrates. It is not by accident that we are now rank in the top 5 nationally in all time wins. While others come and go MF has managed to stay the course and there is nothing pointing to that changing anytime soon. Desales fans certainly are not the first nor will they be the last to learn that MF is in rare air as football programs go Moving up to 2A changes nothing other than the names on the uniforms across from us. We will win some and lose a few but the program is as healthy as ever and the Cards will leave their mark just as they have done for decades.

Actually putting CAL ahead of Mayfield makes no sense to me. You talk about the winner of CAL and Desales have won state, but, truth is, only Desales has won state. CAL has never been their. While it's quite possible that had CAL defeated Desales the last 2 years when it counted, they may have won it all, hence, the MAY. Certainly no guarantee. And, imo, until they actually step foot on Feix Field with their uniforms on, there's no comparison. I'm not saying they aren't capable of beating Mayfield, Desales, OB Catholic or any of the other highly ranked teams, but, at this point in time, they don't deserve to be ranked ahead of them.

Sadly you do not realize they play football outside of Louisville. Corbin is far from the best team on our schedule and being defending champs does not mean anything to the defending 3 time champs. We were proven in 2A the day it was announced we were moving there. I can honestly say MF is time tested. Get out of that dirty city air and come and watch WKY football, its loaded with top teams and brings titles back west often. As for navigating through the playoffs, sure it will be tough but we schedule to prepare for it and honestly we are some of the best at it. Desales has a great football program of late and I can think of no one else I would rather see MF play if we are both so fortunate to make it that far.

What do you mean by 'won't have to endure another nail biter with Murray?" You guys haven't won it yet and I'm sure Murray, DeSales, Owensboro Catholic and others can give you all you want.

i meant it as a friendly poke. DeSales barely got past Murray last year, with some considerable help from the officials. But this year they don't have to sweat out a nail biter with Murray, cause they will get us instead. So I was obliquely digging at them by pointing out that they BARELY beat Murray, which means they are not nearly as high and mighty as they appear to think, and reminding them that barely beating Murray and beating Mayfield are two very different things.

if you think Murray is gonna give us all we want........eh.