Documentary Recommendations

Rich Hill is hard to put my finger on. It follows the live's of four boys in a poor, rural Missouri town as they deal with their lives and growing up. It's depressing, but I guess hopeful in their resiliency too.

This has been on my list since its debut but I just haven't gotten around to it.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just watched "The Wrecking Crew" which is the nickname of the 60s/70s studio musicians in L.A. that played on seemingly every hit record.

You'll like it for its history and if you're of a certain age you'll like it because the songs were those that you grew up on.

Available through Itunes.

Ummm...what?!?!

It is a pretty decent documentary covering three different topics that are all related.

Lots and lots of high ranking government officials putting what I would call their stamp of approval on this documentary.

Going Clear is a pretty unsettling look at Scientology. I thought I had a low opinion going in, but was actually surprised by how kooky and corrupt the "church" is.

Mistaken for Strangers. With as much buzz as The National has had over he past few years, I hadn't gotten around to giving them much of a listen. While that's still true, the doc was great. The singer's brother goes from being a metalhead living in his parents' basement to joining the tour of one of the biggest indie rock bands in the world.

...a good number of REALLY good ones mentioned thus far, but here are some more worth checking out, if you ask me.

Don't Look Back - D.A. Pennebaker's famous documentary created after following Bob Dylan for nearly an entire year while on his 1965 concert tour in the UK. (

)

Into The Abyss - Werner Herzog goes back to look at the details of a murder, and the perpetrators' death row imprisonment while also looking at the bigger picture of the US's death penalty as a whole. (

) (Full Length Film)

Muscle Shoals - A look at a tiny Alabama recording studio that has pumped out some of the best American Music ever. (

)

Hitler's Children - The children/grandchildren of some of the most infamous nazis, Heinrich Himmler, Amon Geoth, Hermann Goering, Rudolf Hoess are interviewed, and openly discuss the lasting impact of being the descendants of some of the worst war criminals in the history of the world. (Trailer)

Helvetica - A surprisingly interesting documentary on a....typeface. No, seriously, it's really interesting. (

) (
)

Objectified - The maker of the documentary "Helvetica" created another documentary on the fact that every manufactured object in life, literally every manufactured thing, has been designed by someone. (

)

Word Wars - The world of competitive Scrabble playing is looked at. Hilarious. (

)

Marwencol - On April 8, 2000, Mark Hogancamp was attacked outside of a bar by five men who beat him nearly to death. After nine days in a coma and forty days in the hospital, Mark was discharged with brain damage that left him little memory of his previous life. Unable to afford therapy, Mark creates his own by building a 1/6-scale World War II-era Belgian town in his yard and populating it with dolls representing himself, his friends, and even his attackers. (

)

Exit Through The Gift Shop - street artist Banksy produced a documentary that tells the story of Thierry Guetta, a French immigrant in Los Angeles, and his obsession with street art, and also documents his interaction with many of the other famous street artists. (

)

Restrepo - The film explores the year that two documentarians spent in Afghanistan's Korengal Valley with an Army platoon responsible for defending Outpost Restrepo, named after a platoon medic who was killed earlier in the campaign. The Korengal Valley is considered one of the most dangerous battlegrounds on earth. LANGUAGE WARNING: (

) (Full Length Film)

Without question...... It' Time : The Brad Gaines/Chucky Mullins Story. The SEC Storied documentary "It's Time," centered on the the inspirational friendship between former Vanderbilt football player Brad Gaines and former Ole Miss football player Chucky Mullins

Have Kleenex handy.

http://www.olemisssports.com/blog/2014/09/espns-chucky-mullins-documentary-premieres-thursday.html

Saw that one, I think on ESPN.

...a good number of REALLY good ones mentioned thus far, but here are some more worth checking out, if you ask me.

Don't Look Back - D.A. Pennebaker's famous documentary created after following Bob Dylan for nearly an entire year while on his 1965 concert tour in the UK. (

)

Into The Abyss - Werner Herzog goes back to look at the details of a murder, and the perpetrators' death row imprisonment while also looking at the bigger picture of the US's death penalty as a whole. (

) (Full Length Film)

Muscle Shoals - A look at a tiny Alabama recording studio that has pumped out some of the best American Music ever. (

)

Hitler's Children - The children/grandchildren of some of the most infamous nazis, Heinrich Himmler, Amon Geoth, Hermann Goering, Rudolf Hoess are interviewed, and openly discuss the lasting impact of being the descendants of some of the worst war criminals in the history of the world. (Trailer)

Helvetica - A surprisingly interesting documentary on a....typeface. No, seriously, it's really interesting. (

) (
)

Objectified - The maker of the documentary "Helvetica" created another documentary on the fact that every manufactured object in life, literally every manufactured thing, has been designed by someone. (

)

Word Wars - The world of competitive Scrabble playing is looked at. Hilarious. (

)

Marwencol - On April 8, 2000, Mark Hogancamp was attacked outside of a bar by five men who beat him nearly to death. After nine days in a coma and forty days in the hospital, Mark was discharged with brain damage that left him little memory of his previous life. Unable to afford therapy, Mark creates his own by building a 1/6-scale World War II-era Belgian town in his yard and populating it with dolls representing himself, his friends, and even his attackers. (

)

Exit Through The Gift Shop - street artist Banksy produced a documentary that tells the story of Thierry Guetta, a French immigrant in Los Angeles, and his obsession with street art, and also documents his interaction with many of the other famous street artists. (

)

Restrepo - The film explores the year that two documentarians spent in Afghanistan's Korengal Valley with an Army platoon responsible for defending Outpost Restrepo, named after a platoon medic who was killed earlier in the campaign. The Korengal Valley is considered one of the most dangerous battlegrounds on earth. LANGUAGE WARNING: (

) (Full Length Film)

Muscle Shoals was great. Loved it.

Restrepo is one of the best documentaries I've seen.

I watched An Honest Liar last night. Not quite sure what to make of it yet. It told two stories, albeit quite interrelated, but they never really congealed together.

It takes a look at a magician - The Amazing Randi - and his long quest to expose fraudsters and con-artists who were using "magic" to dupe the public. It simultaneously tells the story of his personal life with a bit of a twist at the end.

I watched An Honest Liar last night. Not quite sure what to make of it yet. It told two stories, albeit quite interrelated, but they never really congealed together.

It takes a look at a magician - The Amazing Randi - and his long quest to expose fraudsters and con-artists who were using "magic" to dupe the public. It simultaneously tells the story of his personal life with a bit of a twist at the end.

Was actually getting ready to post this, you beat me to it. I watched it a few nights ago. I found it interesting and knew a little about the Amazing Randy and his "fight" with Geller. Never really knew how accomplished of a magician he was in his own right though. I found it interesting, but I saw that "twist" coming from a mile away.