Documentary Recommendations

I started another thread on this Documentary but if you want to learn how our Government deals with Whistleblowers you should definitely check it out:

http://bluegrasspreps.com/television-films-music/silenced-netflix-316525.html

Well that was damn depressing on many levels.

I'll need to think more about the CIA guy and his case but Drake's is really bad. ThinThread, according to him, MAY have helped stop 9.11 . Plus you have the personal cost to him in both dollars as well as marriage and strain. Not to mention what the stress has done to his health.

He had a great comment about the "trend line" we are now on regarding the usurping of our privacy rights by the govt vs what the Constitution allows.

I know it's uncool to question "national security" vs "privacy rights" but what we now have is the govt defaulting to "national security reasons" for all operations/activities they are involved in. Question it and they'll make an example out of you by ruining your life.

God Bless America!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not a full length feature, but I caught a great Frontline last week that was actually aired a couple years ago. It was about the Obama administration's failure and/or unwillingness to prosecute people who engaged in widespread fraud ahead of the 2008 financial collapse.

It was called "Untouchables" and you can watch it for free on the PBS website.

Well that was damn depressing on many levels.

I'll need to think more about the CIA guy and his case but Drake's is really bad. ThinThread, according to him, MAY have helped stop 9.11 . Plus you have the personal cost to him in both dollars as well as marriage and strain. Not to mention what the stress has done to his health.

He had a great comment about the "trend line" we are now on regarding the usurping of our privacy rights by the govt vs what the Constitution allows.

I know it's uncool to question "national security" vs "privacy rights" but what we now have is the govt defaulting to "national security reasons" for all operations/activities they are involved in. Question it and they'll make an example out of you by ruining your life.

God Bless America!

Really scary and slippery on so many levels.

Is it about Dirk the person or is it an instructional video?

Biography on Dirk. Interesting stories about his journey to the NBA and how his shooting coach Holger Geschwinder had unorthodox drills/training methods. And off the court interviews with many former teammates, coaches, etc.

Interesting to a basketball fan, at least.

• 6 months later...

Of late I've watched:

Welcome to Leith - Town of about 70 in rural North Dakota that a white supremacist attempts to overtake said town. Just happened a few years ago. Crazy.

Last Man on the Moon - Profile of Eugene Cernan. Some awesome footage from the Apollo missions.

The Resurection of Jake the Snake - Needless to say Jake the Snake fell on hard times after his wrestling career. Diamond Dallas Page attempts to save his life. About half an hour in to this one.

Jaco. A doc about the greatest bass player that ever lived.

It's on netflix.

[video=youtube;xYE-tm8UBSM]

Good. I listened to Flea and Robert Trujillo talk about it on a podcast and I've been meaning to check it out.

The Resurection of Jake the Snake - Needless to say Jake the Snake fell on hard times after his wrestling career. Diamond Dallas Page attempts to save his life. About half an hour in to this one.

This one wasn't bad. It's hard watching someone struggle with addiction.

Anvil! The Story of Anvil - a 2008 rockumentary film about the Canadian heavy metal band Anvil. The film is directed by screenwriter Sacha Gervasi, in his directorial debut, and features interviews with other musicians who have been influenced by the band, including Slash, Tom Araya, Lemmy, Scott Ian, and Lars Ulrich.