April 14, 201511 yr Author Sad isn't it? Yes.... I can't believe no one even attempted to lay a bunt at Lester after the debacle of his pick off moves. How is no one on that team smart enough to give that a try? He probably would have thrown it into RF.
April 14, 201511 yr They need to wash their hands of Diaz, Parra, Gregg, and Badenhop. Bring up LeCure, Contreras, Holmberg, and Sampson to pair with Hoover, Cingrani, and Chapman. It's too early to say good bye to Badenhop. He had succes last year in Boston and he's a ground ball pitcher which can be useful especially in GABP. Diaz is second behind Chapman in terms of pure stuff and on that alone he deserves a few more opportunities possibly in blowouts to boost his confidence. He's missing his spots right now. I'd love to see some fresh faces and I think Contreras and Sampson could be good replacements to call on without calling on the top prospects and taking them out of their minor league rotations. Sampson and Contreras both have live arms and I'd be all for giving them a shot especially Sampson who has a ton of upside. Holmberg on the other hand has been horrible and can stay where he's at.
April 14, 201511 yr I say put Lorenzen and Iglesias in the bullpen for the year. You can worry about stretching them out as starters next year.
April 14, 201511 yr I say put Lorenzen and Iglesias in the bullpen for the year. You can worry about stretching them out as starters next year. Or when Cueto is gone at the deadline.
April 14, 201511 yr I say put Lorenzen and Iglesias in the bullpen for the year. You can worry about stretching them out as starters next year. Other teams do this but the Reds seem afraid to. They did it with Chapman though didn't they? The Cardinals did it last year with Martinez and he helped them a great deal. The Reds pen could potentially go from horrible to really good if they did this. Lorenzen, Iglesias, Howard and Sampson should all be considered to fix the pen. Howard has bullpen experience and although he's still only in A+ there was talk of him possibly pitching for the Reds last season when the pen was struggling. Parra was a starter at one point in his career, I'd stretch him back out a little in bullpen sessions and make him the long man. Hoover, Badenhop and Diaz should be the middle men. Lorenzen, Iglesias, Cingrani and Chapman should be late inning guys with all capable of closing when Chapman needs a day off.
April 14, 201511 yr Completely agree with @nkufan23 and @LRCW Iglesias is your answer in the bullpen. Ride Marquis out while you can then call up Holmberg. I thought he looked decent towards the end of the year and didn't have a terrible spring. He is what he is, a 5th starter...
April 14, 201511 yr Other teams do this but the Reds seem afraid to. They did it with Chapman though didn't they? The Cardinals did it last year with Martinez and he helped them a great deal. The Reds pen could potentially go from horrible to really good if they did this. Lorenzen, Iglesias, Howard and Sampson should all be considered to fix the pen. Howard has bullpen experience and although he's still only in A+ there was talk of him possibly pitching for the Reds last season when the pen was struggling. Parra was a starter at one point in his career, I'd stretch him back out a little in bullpen sessions and make him the long man. Hoover, Badenhop and Diaz should be the middle men. Lorenzen, Iglesias, Cingrani and Chapman should be late inning guys with all capable of closing when Chapman needs a day off. Cardinals have done that with Wainwright, Wacha, Lynn, Kelly, Martinez, Gonzalez in recent years and works decent for those guys. Gives them big league exposure but doesn't ask too much of them or over expose them. I love the strategy. The only guy I can remember who never saw a decent stint in the pen recently was Shelby Miller.
April 14, 201511 yr Well this has sucked. The Reds lineup actually has come up with hits during games to get them a lead going to the 8th inning and then the bullpen blows it. You would have to think it would get better and can't stay at this horrible rate, but you just never know with how bad the bullpen looks right now. Especially walking lead off guys all the time.
April 14, 201511 yr Um, why was the infield playing in? At least the middle infielders should've been back... Love my Reds. But that game was fundamentally terrible.
April 14, 201511 yr Badenhop and Diaz need not go anywhere yet... Gregg and Parra can go. At this point, who is your 8th inning guy? Cingrani? Hoover?!? :scared:
April 14, 201511 yr Cardinals have done that with Wainwright, Wacha, Lynn, Kelly, Martinez, Gonzalez in recent years and works decent for those guys. Gives them big league exposure but doesn't ask too much of them or over expose them. I love the strategy. The only guy I can remember who never saw a decent stint in the pen recently was Shelby Miller. I love the way the Cardinals run their organization. Never realized they've used that many of their stud pitching prospects in the pen before making them full time starters. Makes sense in my opinion, the best 12 or 13 pitchers should be on your roster regardless of long term plans. The Reds clearly aren't utilizing their best arms right now and it is killing them. I seem to remember Price making the statement that the best 25 would be on the team, if that's true the Reds have some changes to make.
April 14, 201511 yr I love the way the Cardinals run their organization. Never realized they've used that many of their stud pitching prospects in the pen before making them full time starters. Makes sense in my opinion, the best 12 or 13 pitchers should be on your roster regardless of long term plans. The Reds clearly aren't utilizing their best arms right now and it is killing them. I seem to remember Price making the statement that the best 25 would be on the team, if that's true the Reds have some changes to make. Logical inputs lead to logical outputs. What combo can help the most? Is Raisel Iglesias, right now, that much better than Marquis or Homberg? Is the gap big enough that you force yourself to use Kevin Gregg? As I said before, give me Holmberg/Marquis and put an impact reliever in the pen. Roll the dice that this very strong offense can keep you in the game. If they do, you're less likely to blow the thing while trying to get the ball to the best closer in the game. What good is he if you can't get him the lead and what good is a quality start for the 3-4 other good pitchers on the team if it can't be protected?
April 14, 201511 yr Walks - ugh. No bunt Votto over - ughh Position of IF in the 10th w/ 1 out - ughhh Hanging an 0-2 off speed pitch to Alcantara after he swung himself into a hole at pitches in the dirt - ughhhh I am a glass half full kinda guy. Great that the Reds are over .500 given the way they have played so far.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.