THE Decision

doomer

Since I moved in with my sister last year, her dog Levi has become mine. She isn't a dog person, and he took to me riGht away, and he's spoiled rotten now.

All that said, he's about 12 years old now and I can see he's beginning to show signs that he may have arthritis, at least. He is the sweetest dog and very gentle. I and my dog Buddy will be devestated if anything happens to Levi. They are most improbable pair, especially since Levi doesn't like any other dog at all. But somehow, Buddy charmed him and the are like a doggy dynamic duo, rarely separated.

I hope when the time comes, I'm able to make the best decision for Levi, and not what I want for myself.

This thread....Tough to read this stuff. Little lump in the throat and misty eyes. Glad I have an office all to myself right now.

I have the luxury of being retired and not having a public office, but I don't apologize for getting emotional about my pets.

I echo spindocs sentiments. The fact you have researched this beyond your own emotional attachment and are seeking consensus and or feedback reflects how great of a pet owner you are. You'll know since you are more in tune with your pet than anyone else.

From a practical standpoint....I'm panting right now after a light jog since I gained too much winter weight :) After having to euthanize two pets within the last year our indicators were loss of appetite and not being able to control the bowels. I've seen friends in denial let their pets go for way too long and as a result their pets did not have much of a quality of life when they departed.

My thoughts are with you and yours in this difficult time of transition. In the meantime, lavish that pet with the love I'm sure you always do and be mindful of the moment as I'm sure you always are.

I evaluate my dog on a daily basis, watch how he walks and try to determine if his hips are worse....

I have come to the conclusion that as long as he still wags a tail, wants to have his belly rubbed, continually begs for my attention and doesn't whine, it's still ok.

Sometimes I have to help him up to stand and walk, and it was not good on the ice the past couple months.

He is the most loyal, loving animal I have ever been around. When it's time, I truly believe I will see it in his eyes, but for now, I keep crushing up 2 aspirin every AM, pat his head, rub his belly and enjoy every minute he's here...I will decide all the rest on another day.

Sounds like we are at the same place....day-to-day.

Ugh.....I can't read this thread. My oldest husky is getting older. Having some hip problems. Nothing too serious yet but her age shows more everyday. A choice will have to be made one day but I am currently in denial. We aren't close and when that time comes we'll just know it. I dread that day. I feel your pain, doomer.