March 30, 201511 yr I am wondering if there are others that face THE decision with their pet. I have a 15 year old lab. She has a bad back, hips and front shoulder. She looks pitiful walking around, but she still seems happy, she still eats well, but more slowly, and she still wants to follow me around everywhere (which is a bad thing now). She pants a lot when moving around which I know is a sign of discomfort, but she is tough as nails and never yelps. I don't want her to suffer, but I also don't want to put her down too soon. I went on line and found a good checklist HHHHHMM that was somewhat helpful...Hurt, Hunger, Hydration, Happiness, Hygiene, Mobility and More (good days than bad). It is scaled on 1 worst to 10 good. If your pet has more 5's or better than not, accordingly it is OK to manage the issue. My girl is on carprofen and tramadol. She had 3 pluses, 3 minuses and an in the middle on the scale above. I recently had this decision with my other 15 year-old, but in addition to hips, she also contracted a kidney infection, and it was clear she was no longer happy, and we couldn't seem to clear it up. I am wondering if anyone else is/has made this decision, and how did you decide? Thanks. (She's the one in the back of the pack by the way in my avatar.)
March 30, 201511 yr Wow Doomer, wish I had good advice for you. I've been in that situation before, and probably waited too long. But you are probably the most well informed pet owner I know, so all the advice I can give you will pale to your handle on the situation. All I can add is that you'll be in my prayers over your decision.
March 30, 201511 yr I can't imagine being in this situation (and I know it'll one day come) with our dog. Thoughts and prayers that you'll have peace with whatever decision you make.
March 30, 201511 yr Reading this I just had my little Buddy come over and hop up in my lap. Tough decision that no pet owner ever wants to make...your in my thoughts and prayers.
March 30, 201511 yr Thankfully I haven't been in this position yet. I don't have much to add other than I feel for you and will say a prayer about the decision.
March 30, 201511 yr As long as the dog is not suffering I think you are okay waiting. For me, I had to make this tough choice once when I knew my dog wasn't right (but didn't appear to be suffering) but the dog got aggressive with me once and that was way way out of character.
March 30, 201511 yr It's been 11 months since I had to have my bulldog put to sleep. She didn't go of old age, but rather an illness that no one could seem to identify and she just couldn't beat. She would have good times and bad, but her last few days just told me all I needed to. She did little more than lay down and not move during those days and refused food and water for the most part. The final night I let her outside to go to the restroom and she went and hid in some bushes. I felt like that was essentially her trying to go off to die. I think she knew, and that helped me make the decision. I can tell you that in reflecting on the experience afterward, you will probably know whenever you decide to do it that you've made the right decision, but you will probably still experience a sensation that it was too soon. But judging from the way you're researching and clearly care for your dogs, you'll make the right decision, whatever that may be.
March 30, 201511 yr Author It's been 11 months since I had to have my bulldog put to sleep. She didn't go of old age, but rather an illness that no one could seem to identify and she just couldn't beat. She would have good times and bad, but her last few days just told me all I needed to. She did little more than lay down and not move during those days and refused food and water for the most part. The final night I let her outside to go to the restroom and she went and hid in some bushes. I felt like that was essentially her trying to go off to die. I think she knew, and that helped me make the decision. I can tell you that in reflecting on the experience afterward, you will probably know whenever you decide to do it that you've made the right decision, but you will probably still experience a sensation that it was too soon. But judging from the way you're researching and clearly care for your dogs, you'll make the right decision, whatever that may be. Thanks for the help and my condolences.
March 30, 201511 yr Always a tough call. We have had MANY pets euthanized over the years. A couple of them passed literally on the day of the appointment. Always try to get the vet's opinion first. Here's the toughest thing I ever did. I don't think I've told it on here; and maybe to 2 or 3 people total. Family pet, black lab/shepherd mix. Wonderful, gentle dog. At the age of 13 began losing hair, developing tumors. Started having occasional seizures, a couple a day, gradually increasing to several, losing bodily functions each time. Around midnight on a Friday, the seizures grew in frequency and intensity. Crying in misery when awake. Too late to call the vet, About 2 in the morning I got a blanket, laid with him in the floor and wrapped it around his head. He was too weak to resist. His last minutes on earth were with me holding him and telling him I loved him. Then I went to the bedroom and told the wife that he was gone. Still haven't told her the full story. Maybe not coincidentally, it seems that I have something in my eye as I'm typing. I don't envy you the position you're in, but I'm sure you will do the right thing.
March 30, 201511 yr As long as you are making the decision for the best of the pooch and not for you....which is very difficult.....then there is no wrong decision, and you will know. Two examples.......my "Shasta" got to the point that I knew it was time......so I was going to take her the next morning (my Birthday.) She must have known, because that night, she laid down on her favorite blanket, went to sleep and didn't wake up. Made the decision for me... This past Saturday at the farm, my Lab and a friends older dog ran off......Mine made it back two anxious hours later....Still looking for his older one.......Even walked 5 miles this morning. Thinking another dog or Coyote jumped them and my lab was quick enough to get away, but he wasn't..... feel sick about the fact that we can't find him....harder then making the decision. Sounds as if the pooch has always been there for you.....when it is time, you will know when you need to be there for it.
March 30, 201511 yr When I had to make the decision for my LuckyDog it had to be done in minutes. He had previously undiagnosed cancer of the spleen, and by the time we found it the tumors were rupturing and bleeding out into his stomach cavity. I will never, ever, ever forget having to make that decision in the vet's office right that instant. I chose to have him euthanized, because he was so unbelievably uncomfortable. The vet did tell me that dogs don't feel pain the same way we do. And he did give me an option to take him home and let him pass there. But I was such a coward that day. I was wholly unprepared for what they told me. Just the day before, my regular vet had told me it was probably an infection causing his pale gums and heavy breathing. When his stomach began distending, I called them and they told me to take Lucky tot he emergency vet. That's when I found out about the cancer. I chose to have him euthanized, and I didn't stay to be with him. I will never, ever, ever, EVER forgive myself for walking out that door without him, or at the very least, staying with him till the end. He was utterly devoted to me and I failed him at the end.
March 30, 201511 yr Author When I had to make the decision for my LuckyDog it had to be done in minutes. He had previously undiagnosed cancer of the spleen, and by the time we found it the tumors were rupturing and bleeding out into his stomach cavity. I will never, ever, ever forget having to make that decision in the vet's office right that instant. I chose to have him euthanized, because he was so unbelievably uncomfortable. The vet did tell me that dogs don't feel pain the same way we do. And he did give me an option to take him home and let him pass there. But I was such a coward that day. I was wholly unprepared for what they told me. Just the day before, my regular vet had told me it was probably an infection causing his pale gums and heavy breathing. When his stomach began distending, I called them and they told me to take Lucky tot he emergency vet. That's when I found out about the cancer. I chose to have him euthanized, and I didn't stay to be with him. I will never, ever, ever, EVER forgive myself for walking out that door without him, or at the very least, staying with him till the end. He was utterly devoted to me and I failed him at the end. You gave him a great life with great care...and you saw to it that his pain was eased.
March 30, 201511 yr This thread....Tough to read this stuff. Little lump in the throat and misty eyes. Glad I have an office all to myself right now.
March 30, 201511 yr 2 years ago my boy Jack got liver disease that progressed really quickly, thank God. If it had taken longer I would have erred on the side of waiting too long. Jack spent his last 2 nights sleeping on the couch, which he wasn't allowed to do normally and by the 3rd day of him really being so weak I wrapped him up in a towel and carried him to the car and to the vet. Like McPapa I have tears in my eyes right now. He just looked at me that day, like "i can't take this anymore, please help me".
March 30, 201511 yr I evaluate my dog on a daily basis, watch how he walks and try to determine if his hips are worse.... I have come to the conclusion that as long as he still wags a tail, wants to have his belly rubbed, continually begs for my attention and doesn't whine, it's still ok. Sometimes I have to help him up to stand and walk, and it was not good on the ice the past couple months. He is the most loyal, loving animal I have ever been around. When it's time, I truly believe I will see it in his eyes, but for now, I keep crushing up 2 aspirin every AM, pat his head, rub his belly and enjoy every minute he's here...I will decide all the rest on another day.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.