Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Low attendance?

Featured Replies

Plus a slew of baseball and softball games are going on, plus track meets.

 

It's possible that those events might keep a few people away. But what's keeping the BASKETBALL fans away?

 

College basketball. UK on TV and NCAA tourney in the Ville.

Free web access to the Sweet 16.

Ever-increasing cost of tickets and amenities.

Several schools without strong fan support/too far to drive.

Lack of star power.

Sunday final/extra hotel/travel day.

 

All are contributors to some degree.

  • Replies 119
  • Views 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's possible that those events might keep a few people away. But what's keeping the BASKETBALL fans away?

 

College basketball. UK on TV and NCAA tourney in the Ville.

Free web access to the Sweet 16.

Ever-increasing cost of tickets and amenities.

Several schools without strong fan support/too far to drive.

Lack of star power.

Sunday final/extra hotel/travel day.

 

All are contributors to some degree.

 

Maybe the following

 

Times of games for working fans

Gas/ticket/food money

Engine wear

They have kids in other sports

The older they get the less they care or have time for

MONEY

I just don't know what people are expecting. No one attends High School sports anymore unless:

1. You have a connection to the team

2. It's close to home

I'll say it, since no one else seems to want to...but, I think you're trying to patch a sinking boat. Things have changed, and I don't think you're going to be able to change them back. Someone mentioned the 80's in an earlier post. Do you remember what life, in general, was like back then? There were no computers (for the most part), there was no Facebook, no cell phones, and most video games were played on large stand-up machines located at some place like the gas station. Quite simply, the distractions were not present like they are today.

 

Heck, last week we had people that talked about taking two days off for work...not for high school ball...but for the NCAA tournament...on TV! Even they are presenting a different product than 10 years or so ago. You got to see one game, and if you were lucky they'd have a "look-in" (picture in picture) of some of the other games going on at the same time. Now, if you're in a bar, you can see all four games going on, on full screens, no matter where they're at!

 

People say that Indiana going to classes is what killed their tournament interest/attendance. Yes, it hurt it, don't get me wrong...but, I'd bet they'd be in a similar boat right now, even if they hadn't. There's just too much competition for the almighty dollar...but, more importantly, there's the same type of competition for our attention, too. People are getting pulled in multiple directions on a regular basis, and following high school basketball (especially if it's not your school) is just not that high on the list anymore. Now you add in the high costs, and what was a smaller base of customers just got a little smaller.

 

Attending the tournament used to almost be self-perpetuating. Your grandpa took your dad...your dad took you...you take your kids, etc. But, all it takes is for one link in that chain to break, and the whole thing falls apart. Yes, you will still have your coaches (from other teams not in the tournament), and some real die-hards who will still have an attachment to it. But, for a lot of other people out there, there's no "history" to attending it. So there's nothing to pass along...other than not going.

 

Bottom line is, I think attendance by John Q. Public is going to continue to dwindle. Down to what, I can't say. Attendance figures will fluctuate, largely in part to what teams are in the tournament, what type of rabid fan base they may have to bring, and how long they stay in the tournament. Lowering costs would help...but, if the interest isn't there...you could give the product away, and not necessarily see a huge increase.

 

Just my take.

 

This is why local games are low attended now as well.

Everybody is different. I'm going every year just like Goldie. Cost isn't an issue at all for me as I'll work it into my budget to be able to go. I love the Sweet 16 and will go every year regardless of where it is or how much it costs.

 

I'm going every year as well but can see why others don't go.

This is why local games are low attended now as well.

 

Absolutely. If people won't pay $5 to go to a game 10 minutes away...

Cant see me spending all that $$$$ when i can watch it at the house for free. Unless my home team is in it i dont think i will attend especiallt sine the games are on the web. But thats just me.

The cost of the state tournament is making it an adult only crowd. Lower arena in mid sections seats are selling but not always attending. Big torunaments through out the year dont have a lot of students at the games. The KOB at $8 a ticket has good crowds but very few students unless its a rival game or finals. Participating teams must provide a package to get students to and from Lexington or most cant get there. My school in 07 charged $20 for a ticket, T-shirt, and bus ride to and from. We took six bus loads of students. How many kids can get to and from Bowling Green 4 times in one week on their on. If schools provide a deal kids will come more. The NCAA tournament hurts attendance. Also the downtime between games has gotten out of hand. Takes 40 minutes for the next game to start

It's possible that those events might keep a few people away. But what's keeping the BASKETBALL fans away?

 

College basketball. UK on TV and NCAA tourney in the Ville.

Free web access to the Sweet 16.

Ever-increasing cost of tickets and amenities.

Several schools without strong fan support/too far to drive.

Lack of star power.

Sunday final/extra hotel/travel day.

 

All are contributors to some degree.

 

All of this. :thumb:

I'll say it, since no one else seems to want to...but, I think you're trying to patch a sinking boat. Things have changed, and I don't think you're going to be able to change them back. Someone mentioned the 80's in an earlier post. Do you remember what life, in general, was like back then? There were no computers (for the most part), there was no Facebook, no cell phones, and most video games were played on large stand-up machines located at some place like the gas station. Quite simply, the distractions were not present like they are today.

 

Heck, last week we had people that talked about taking two days off for work...not for high school ball...but for the NCAA tournament...on TV! Even they are presenting a different product than 10 years or so ago. You got to see one game, and if you were lucky they'd have a "look-in" (picture in picture) of some of the other games going on at the same time. Now, if you're in a bar, you can see all four games going on, on full screens, no matter where they're at!

 

People say that Indiana going to classes is what killed their tournament interest/attendance. Yes, it hurt it, don't get me wrong...but, I'd bet they'd be in a similar boat right now, even if they hadn't. There's just too much competition for the almighty dollar...but, more importantly, there's the same type of competition for our attention, too. People are getting pulled in multiple directions on a regular basis, and following high school basketball (especially if it's not your school) is just not that high on the list anymore. Now you add in the high costs, and what was a smaller base of customers just got a little smaller.

 

Attending the tournament used to almost be self-perpetuating. Your grandpa took your dad...your dad took you...you take your kids, etc. But, all it takes is for one link in that chain to break, and the whole thing falls apart. Yes, you will still have your coaches (from other teams not in the tournament), and some real die-hards who will still have an attachment to it. But, for a lot of other people out there, there's no "history" to attending it. So there's nothing to pass along...other than not going.

 

Bottom line is, I think attendance by John Q. Public is going to continue to dwindle. Down to what, I can't say. Attendance figures will fluctuate, largely in part to what teams are in the tournament, what type of rabid fan base they may have to bring, and how long they stay in the tournament. Lowering costs would help...but, if the interest isn't there...you could give the product away, and not necessarily see a huge increase.

 

Just my take.

 

This is definitely the gold standard post on the topic. We live in a great and wonderful age, but it is not without its drawbacks, and this is one. It's still sad, but it certainly seems to be reality.

  • Author

Here are a couple that were texted to me, they were announced over radio. Wednesday night was 12,124. Thursday night was 10,853. Friday afternoon was 11,178. 11,432 for the finals. Once again these were sent to me during the games via text msgs.

 

I live very close to Evansville Indiana. I watch Evansville news and sports. When they show highlights from season basketball games the gyms are nearly full. When it is sectional time their gyms are packed. I know our regional tournament was a sellout the night Henderson played Hopkinsville. The finals also drew a good crowd.

 

Would changing the format to a super regional ( regions 1-4) (regions 5-8) and so on, would that help?

Everybody is different. I'm going every year just like Goldie. Cost isn't an issue at all for me as I'll work it into my budget to be able to go. I love the Sweet 16 and will go every year regardless of where it is or how much it costs.

 

I am one of these diehards as well. I cant imagine a time where I wont want to attend - I love it. But it is a major expense in regards to money and time. I don't mind spending either to attend. But you have to be COMMITTED to go for the entire tournament as I do. Willing to take vacation, willing to spend considerable dollars for a hotel, food, etc.

 

I think @CincySportsFan summed it up pretty well. Too many entertainment options available today that weren't available 15-20 years ago. My college-aged son goes with me every year, but would not go if I were not footing the bill for the week. He would stay home, watch the games he wanted via the internet, and have all week to watch the NCAA games of his choice. It's great father/son time - that I cherish dearly - and he does as well. But he (and his generation) do not have the driving motivation to attend this event that I do. It's just a different time.

 

When I stop going (hopefully not for a long time) - that will be 4 less tickets that get sold. I cant imagine my son will carry on my annual pilgrimage to "The Greatest Show in Hoops" once I decide to stop going. Even the phenomenal creamy-whips wont be enough to lure him in.

Here are a couple that were texted to me, they were announced over radio. Wednesday night was 12,124. Thursday night was 10,853. Friday afternoon was 11,178. 11,432 for the finals. Once again these were sent to me during the games via text msgs.

 

I live very close to Evansville Indiana. I watch Evansville news and sports. When they show highlights from season basketball games the gyms are nearly full. When it is sectional time their gyms are packed. I know our regional tournament was a sellout the night Henderson played Hopkinsville. The finals also drew a good crowd.

 

Would changing the format to a super regional ( regions 1-4) (regions 5-8) and so on, would that help?

 

It's an interesting idea and might help the financials but personally, I'd take a diminished Sweet 16 over that format forever and ever.

I'm going every year as well but can see why others don't go.

 

With that username, you'd better.

Also, possible that with so many snow days, some of the schools participating did not want to cancel school on the day their team played.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.