Low attendance?

94,437 total attendance. Lowest since 1994. Cannot blame this on who was in the finals. Average was 11,800 for each session. I don't think any one session reached 13,000.

Suggestions on how to increase the attendance? Or is there a change in the future?

These are the figures that I have received.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard several coaches complaining about no longer being able to get tickets through their schools. I know several coaches who no longer attend who used to go every single year just because they were given tickets by their schools.

A few schools didn't bring many fans and that also contributed. Doss had about 50 to 75 fans in each of the two games they played, and Bowling Green didn't have many more.

Bowling Green was surprisingly low for a team that made it to the Semifinals and the championship game. I can't believe they didn't have more fan support than what I saw today! A school with over 1,000 enrollment. That's a shame.

Would a change come from Rupp Arena or the KHSAA? Meaning, if attendance continues to dip would Rupp decide it isn't worth it and no longer bid on hosting the Sweet 16 or would the KHSAA initiate the change?

Once upon a time it was rotated.

A few schools didn't bring many fans and that also contributed. Doss had about 50 to 75 fans in each of the two games they played, and Bowling Green didn't have many more.

Bowling Green was surprisingly low for a team that made it to the Semifinals and the championship game. I can't believe they didn't have more fan support than what I saw today! A school with over 1,000 enrollment. That's a shame.

Being on Central TIme may have played havoc:D

I was disappointed in the BG turnout and having graduated from there I kept a few of my friends updated on BG throughout the tournament. Some watched online as well. Plenty of people I graduated with no longer live in BG and a few of the ones that do are affiliated with other schools so they root silently in spirit. As for the folks at BG now I can't answer why they didn't show up but it was surprising that more didn't come. I'm really not sure what to make of it. Calloway County may have brought more people in their two games than BG brought for all four of their games.

I mentioned in one of the game threads that the BGHS students literally no-showed one of their region tournament games. I don't know if their success is starting to spoil them (I've seen it before at other schools), but they're just not showing up. Bowling Green is good at literally every sport - it may be adding up and they just don't show up unless they really feel like it.

So the fact that they made the finals didn't help numbers for sure.