02/18/15 – State Wrestling Tournament Postponed

theguru

Everyone I've talked to involved with the youth event is denying any such discussion took place. One of said people is a member on here and someone I'm inclined to believe.

Which is why I stated in the other thread was a stupid thing for the KHSAA to say. First, how did they expect to pack two days of wrestling into one day? Second, why would they think that another group would want to reschedule? Three, with the youth wrestling, the wrestlers will get there by car with parents and many coaches, not by busses, most, if not close to all will show up. BUT, with the weather due here this weekend, many schools still would not have sent out busses for a Sunday event. Let's say they KHSAA got what they claimed that they attempted to do (with a Sunday event), and they still had many people not being able to attend or they had to reschedule it yet again, it wouldn't have looked good for them at all.

The schedule now is almost perfect! except being mid-week. But, it gives a few weeks for this weather pattern to break. The KHSAA should be glad that the Horse Park was able to accommodate them in a few weeks.

Hopefully all of the wrestlers will stay on top form.

From the Desk of the KSWA:

By now I am sure all of you are aware of the decision made by the KHSAA to postpone the high school state championship that was scheduled for this weekend. Most of you have also likely read the official notice posted on the KHSAA website by Commissioner Julian Tackett on Wednesday. Because I have been contacted by a number of coaches regarding this matter, I would like to respond to and clarify some of the comments made by Mr. Tackett.

02/18/15 ? State Wrestling Tournament Postponed | Kentucky High School Athletic Association

Our organization (KSWA) exists to introduce young kids to the great sport of wrestling and grow their interest in the sport. Our youth state tournament was moved to Frankfort years ago (and followed the KHSAA to Lexington) to support the KHSAA event and generate interest at all levels of wrestling. As coaches, our ultimate goal for each of these kids is to one day see them walk out on the mat and compete for a high school state championship. With that in mind we obviously want to see the KHSAA State Championship be as successful as possible for the kids who have come through our programs and are now at the high school level. To suggest that our organization would be uncooperative with the KHSAA is inaccurate and paints a very different picture of the situation than what is reality. In fact, at no point were there any official conversations between us and the KHSAA regarding the KSWA changing plans for our event (youth state on Sunday). That is a decision that would require the input of the entire board and we were never asked to take that step.

The bottom line is the KHSAA had to make a difficult decision; one that would be unpopular with a large group of people no matter which direction they chose. So they decided to use the KSWA and the Youth State Tournament as a scapegoat that made it necessary to postpone their event for 3 weeks. I have personally tried to contact Mr. Tackett to get clarification on his posted comments, but received no answer. This is consistent with the response I received over the last couple years when attempting to communicate with him regarding the KHSAA involvement in middle school sports. I encourage any and all who have concerns to reach out to Mr. Tackett Kentucky High School Athletic Association | KHSAA ? Student-athletes of Today, Leaders of Tomorrow and the KHSAA as concerned coaches, parents, and fans to better understand the situation for yourself.

Jason Moore

President, KSWA

• 3 weeks later...
From the Desk of the KSWA:

By now I am sure all of you are aware of the decision made by the KHSAA to postpone the high school state championship that was scheduled for this weekend. Most of you have also likely read the official notice posted on the KHSAA website by Commissioner Julian Tackett on Wednesday. Because I have been contacted by a number of coaches regarding this matter, I would like to respond to and clarify some of the comments made by Mr. Tackett.

02/18/15 ? State Wrestling Tournament Postponed | Kentucky High School Athletic Association

Our organization (KSWA) exists to introduce young kids to the great sport of wrestling and grow their interest in the sport. Our youth state tournament was moved to Frankfort years ago (and followed the KHSAA to Lexington) to support the KHSAA event and generate interest at all levels of wrestling. As coaches, our ultimate goal for each of these kids is to one day see them walk out on the mat and compete for a high school state championship. With that in mind we obviously want to see the KHSAA State Championship be as successful as possible for the kids who have come through our programs and are now at the high school level. To suggest that our organization would be uncooperative with the KHSAA is inaccurate and paints a very different picture of the situation than what is reality. In fact, at no point were there any official conversations between us and the KHSAA regarding the KSWA changing plans for our event (youth state on Sunday). That is a decision that would require the input of the entire board and we were never asked to take that step.

The bottom line is the KHSAA had to make a difficult decision; one that would be unpopular with a large group of people no matter which direction they chose. So they decided to use the KSWA and the Youth State Tournament as a scapegoat that made it necessary to postpone their event for 3 weeks. I have personally tried to contact Mr. Tackett to get clarification on his posted comments, but received no answer. This is consistent with the response I received over the last couple years when attempting to communicate with him regarding the KHSAA involvement in middle school sports. I encourage any and all who have concerns to reach out to Mr. Tackett Kentucky High School Athletic Association | KHSAA ? Student-athletes of Today, Leaders of Tomorrow and the KHSAA as concerned coaches, parents, and fans to better understand the situation for yourself.

Jason Moore

President, KSWA

If you are playing along at home, this continues to be a consistent theme with press release and public information coming out of KHSAA. Yes, Mr. Tackett gets to be that face, but honestly, can we get some professional public relations help on retainer for these things when Mr. Tackett addresses the public ?