February 4, 201511 yr I'm firmly of the belief that this team just sleep-walks through games. They played very well the 1st half, then just decided to pack it in and call it a night in the 2nd half. The better the opponent, the better they play. Frustrating game, but at the end of the day it's 22 down, 18 to go.
February 4, 201511 yr Have yet to figure out how 7 footers can't rebound Towns had 11 and 15 points late in the game. With that stat line its hard to say he can't rebound. I do get what your saying, its easy to nit pick a team, but the truth of the matter is they are still undefeated. They must not be that bad. I'll take the bait and give you my answer to your question though. Our bigs do rebound well on the offensive glass, however they give up some on the defensive side. My explanation for that is they are usually looking to block the opponents shot. When multiple bigs go for the shot block, It sets the team up poorly to rebound on defense. While the other team is boxing out, our bigs are in the air going for the ball. Honestly I don't think its a problem, they do lead the NCAA in blocked shots. But I can see a fans frustration with it. It's a pretty easy fix, but you would sacrifice a couple of help side blocked shots per game.
February 4, 201511 yr It's games like this that Poythress would have been a factor. He wasn't much of an offensive threat unless he was dunking, but he definitely wouldn't have been pushed around or play soft around the basket like tonight's crew. They missed Lyle tonight too.
February 4, 201511 yr Once again cats sprint from the gate and coast in to the finish. Game was never in doubt. I would expect more sustained play in the next 2 games.
February 4, 201511 yr Like others on here I am troubled by this team getting out rebounded by smaller teams. There may be a logical answer as JDE states but I would like to see them correct this stat before they get into the tournament especially on the defensive end.
February 4, 201511 yr Most interesting thing at Rupp tonight would have been the conversation between Joe B. and the Big O!
February 4, 201511 yr The problematic issue is they are struggling on the glass and not blocking shots either. When UK has been dominant the group of bigs has pretty much all played well. When they have had some issues they are only getting a big night from one of the group. UK has more talent in the front court than anyone in the country, but as a whole they are not playing up to that talent level on a consistent basis. If/when they do there are very few if any teams that can beat UK. When they play like they did tonight, the door is open...
February 4, 201511 yr Most interesting thing at Rupp tonight would have been the conversation between Joe B. and the Big O! Big O > every Wildcat ever...
February 4, 201511 yr Big O > every Wildcat ever... The Big O > Every player ever except maybe 3 or 4.
February 4, 201511 yr The problematic issue is they are struggling on the glass and not blocking shots either. I assume you are speaking on tonight's game only? They didn't get many blocks tonight, but they have throught the season. Also in recent games. They went for the blocks tonight, didn't get many, and it showed in the rebound margin. Not every game is the same and no one can expect a team to play great every game. It's funny how people complain about this team being boring, because they coast their way to 20 point wins. Then when they don't win by 20, the sky is falling lol. I'm not directing that at you, but it is funny to read all of the complaints people have of an undefeated and dominant team. Poor kids can't win for winning.
February 4, 201511 yr Stats ..... http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/uk0203.html Towns is looking better each game it seems, his work in the post coupled with Andrew H.'s play was key. UGA, next to U.K. is jmo the best coached team in the conference. UGA playing w/o their best player, big man played U.K. about as well as anyone has. U.K. just couldn't get anything going in the 2nd half and a large part of that was due to the adjustments made on defense by UGA and U.K.'s poor 2nd half shooting. When the Cats did get a good look, it didn't fall. I would say that the disappointing aspect of this game to me wasn't the shooting bc a team will have nights the shots just won't fall. Rebounding, or lack there of concerned me. UGA owned the boards on both ends tonight, the Cats had only 5 off. boards. Most of the 2nd half found U.K. getting only one shot per trip down the floor, a big part of the U.K. dominance should imo always be the off. rebounds / put backs. Certainly no pushing a panic button here though, just voiced some concerns just in this game. UGA has a good ball team imo. This was another SEC Win and any conference win is a good win. On to alligator alley on Saturday night and as anyone should know, Billy D. will have the Gators sky high and I believe that UF will play their very best basketball of the season vs the Cats. 22 - 0, 8-0 and on to Gainesville .......... Succeed and Proceed.
February 4, 201511 yr I assume you are speaking on tonight's game only? They didn't get many blocks tonight, but they have throught the season. Also in recent games. They went for the blocks tonight, didn't get many, and it showed in the rebound margin. Not every game is the same and no one can expect a team to play great every game. It's funny how people complain about this team being boring, because they coast their way to 20 point wins. Then when they don't win by 20, the sky is falling lol. I'm not directing that at you, but it is funny to read all of the complaints people have of an undefeated and dominant team. Poor kids can't win for winning. They blocked 5 shots combined in the past 3 games. Of late they have struggled on the glass and since the South Carolina game have not blocked many shots. I'm simply calling it as I see it. I don't expect anyone to play great every game, but I'm going to point out what I'm watching when I post about the games I've watched. Right now UK isn't playing at their highest level as a group on the interior. I expect more from a team with an absurd amount of talent down low. Put the Blue Blocker spin on it however you feel fit. My evaluation is rock solid...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.