LaSalle (OH) New Coach

doubledeuce

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I brought him up in the CovCath thread. He would have gone there as well if the money matched. TMC just lost the greatest recruiter that they ever had.

This is not true. Joe Schlager was the greatest recruiter the college has had for football. His recruiting produced the guys who got the program going. He recruited higher level transfers, guys who gave up football to be students and later regretted it (after talking with Joe) and traditional HS seniors. He has a saying (now is the DC at Badin HS in Hamilton), "it ain't about the X's and O's - its about the Jimmy's and Joe's"

Yeah. I figured that the school would still move forward with a camp .. It's just he had spoke to me through winter up until January about my son , and who knows if this new guy even knows anything about my son . But that's just the way things go .. It will all workout , in the end .

Coach Hilvert leaving Thomas More was a combination of wanting coach in the GCL (he applied to the job when it was open two years prior, as well) and frustration with some of the obstacles in place at Thomas More.

He had the job two years ago. He turned it down to stay at TMC. I know that to be a fact.

This is not true. Joe Schlager was the greatest recruiter the college has had for football. His recruiting produced the guys who got the program going. He recruited higher level transfers, guys who gave up football to be students and later regretted it (after talking with Joe) and traditional HS seniors. He has a saying (now is the DC at Badin HS in Hamilton), "it ain't about the X's and O's - its about the Jimmy's and Joe's"

The 27 year old military guys you mean? Look at what Hilbert brought to the Mount and then to TMC while staying with high school aged kids. He was special.

The 27 year old military guys you mean? Look at what Hilbert brought to the Mount and then to TMC while staying with high school aged kids. He was special.

I've been involved with Thomas More for 20 years. Under Coach Schlager, there were three of those "27 year old military guys" in 1995 when I was a freshman. He recruited a mix of Transfers and traditional 18 year old freshman. In the beginning, there were transfers like QB John Paul Case (from Akron) and guys who were sitting at home after having quit D1 and traditional college students who wanted to play college football.

Hilvert did a great job and I don't take anything away from him but truth be told, we wouldn't even be talking about Thomas More Football in 2015 if it wasn't for the efforts of Joe Schlager. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I've been involved with Thomas More for 20 years. Under Coach Schlager, there were three of those "27 year old military guys" in 1995 when I was a freshman. He recruited a mix of Transfers and traditional 18 year old freshman. In the beginning, there were transfers like QB John Paul Case (from Akron) and guys who were sitting at home after having quit D1 and traditional college students who wanted to play college football.

Hilvert did a great job and I don't take anything away from him but truth be told, we wouldn't even be talking about Thomas More Football in 2015 if it wasn't for the efforts of Joe Schlager. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I agree on his importance. Getting guys like Mike Woolfe and the 1st Chris Wells helped tremedously. Those were great teams. I was just giving you a hard time on the Military guy talk. I just look at what Hilvert brought to the Mount, and to get anybody to go there in the early-mid 2000s took a man who could sell ice to an eskimo.