Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Gymnasium Sizes

Featured Replies

Monsters. I think I once read 19 of the 20 biggest high school gyms in America are in Indiana.

 

I think the one that Indiana is missing is around Dallas,Tx. atb 7200 seats..

  • Replies 100
  • Views 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Monsters. I think I once read 19 of the 20 biggest high school gyms in America are in Indiana.

 

I have been in some of them, amazing! Imagine playing or coaching in these gyms, wow!

I have been in some of them, amazing! Imagine playing or coaching in these gyms, wow!

 

My uncle swore he once played in one down in Texas that held 11,000

I have been in some of them, amazing! Imagine playing or coaching in these gyms, wow!

 

I was in the one in New Castle,,,,,,HUGE !!!!!!!!!!

My uncle swore he once played in one down in Texas that held 11,000

 

The one that was previously mentioned in Texas is Alfred J. Loos Fieldhouse, built in 1965, so maybe it was there.

The real question is how often do these gyms fill up. I would imagine not very often. I understand the idea of having a large facility, but if it averages 50% capacity for the season, what is the point?

I was in the one in New Castle,,,,,,HUGE !!!!!!!!!!

 

NewCath played there 3 weeks ago.

The real question is how often do these gyms fill up. I would imagine not very often. I understand the idea of having a large facility, but if it averages 50% capacity for the season, what is the point?

 

They do help with graduations and other large community events.

 

Most of these gyms were built during the consolidation years of the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Many communities were upset to see their small schools disappear. By building large schools, large gyms, auditoriums, shop classrooms, music classrooms, etc. schools wowed their new constituents by overwhelmingly showing how much better things would now be. New schools today, at least in our area, have shied away from monster gyms and are much smaller.

I was told when Montgomery County was building the Arena that 4200 is the maximum the KDE will allow a school to build now. Can anyone with KDE knowledge confirm that?

Wonder who has the smallest gyms. In the 8th it's Eminence. Small and hard to find a seat that does not have an obstructed view.

Wonder who has the smallest gyms. In the 8th it's Eminence. Small and hard to find a seat that does not have an obstructed view.

 

Think Cordia's would have to be the smallest based on the picture I saw in another thread.

Burgin pretty small, but not a bad seat in the house.

Knott Co. Central lost around 100 seats when Handicap area was expanded

FullSizeRender.jpg

Either Hopkinsville or Madisonville hosted the 2nd region tournament from 1969-2014 and 1937-1958. When first opened (1969,) the new gyms would hold 5,000 at Hoptown and 4,000 at Madisonville. Both were modified in the 1990's to comply with OSHA seating rules. The KHSAA now says seating capacity at Hopkinsville is 4,800 and at Madisonville 3,800.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.