Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th region Refs?

Featured Replies

No nerve but don't lie. He made a strong statement and then said he was just wondering. Have sack and stand behind your belief.

He was just asking for a friend, lol.

  • Replies 86
  • Views 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find it interesting that we are concerned about calling out refs for being good and bad but daily do this to the student athletes...most people posting anonymously. JMO

 

I just wish they were consistent - good or bad!

Edited by The Bully
wrong quote

I've never reffed basketball but i've done thousands of baseball/softball games. I assure you no one tries to be inconsistent. It happens though. Too many variables...

 

Also, I don't care at all about their feelings. Pomp, for one, has no feelings, so who cares?

When the 16th and 9th regions swapped officials for their respective tournaments, I thought the 9th officials were excellent.

Ah the obligatory, think you can do better then strap on a whistle reply. Usually a lot quicker than 28 in

 

Sorry, I was late to the party. :sssh:

Judgement calls are tough to evaluate, because its their judgement based on the angle they have. Refs each have their "area" that they are supposed to be watching, so if a play happens underneath the basket and the ref on the baseline does not have a good view and the other 2 are watching something else, then sometimes the call is not made.

 

What frustrates me is when one ref is letting a certain style of play go uncalled and one of the other refs looks into that refs "area" and makes the call that the ref in the area is passing on. They need to be on the same page in that particular game. My brother is a varsity ref and he gets mad when this happens to him. Its hard to have a consistent game this way.

 

There have been a couple of games where I've seen calls/non calls on simple things that left me scratching my head. One game Team A shot the ball, it bounced off the rim, then bounced off the top of the backboard and then went over the backboard where a player from Team A caught it on the baseline. No whistle.

 

Another head scratcher happened this weekend. Player #12 from Team A committed a foul, but the refs gave it to #42, who was clear across the floor when the foul happened. The coach from Team A was pointing it out to the refs, but they didn't budge. I was there watching Team B and couldn't believe it.

Here's the thing. The top of the 9th is pretty darned good. The problem is after about the top half dozen or so, it falls off a cliff.

 

Still overall, the 9th are better than a lot of regions

 

Agreed.

 

I personally would take the 9th over most other regions.

 

Not a fan of the 10th region officials and 16th are terrible...along with Louisville (6th/7th) officials as well... Worst games I've ever seen called were from the "best" of those regions.

When the 16th and 9th regions swapped officials for their respective tournaments, I thought the 9th officials were excellent.

 

And we would gladly let you keep those 16th officials next time. :)

And we would gladly let you keep those 16th officials next time. :)

 

Oh, please.

Oh, please.

 

I would take the 9th over those 16th officials sent up here. In my best Charles Barkley voice "Turrible!!"

 

Now that I think about it, the 15th region officials I saw at Lawrence Co were pretty bad too.

 

The more I get around the state, the more I appreciate the 9th region officials that we have up here. May not agree with some of the calls but consistent for the most part.

I truly believe that the 3 official system has dilluted the stock. Having 3 officials for each varsity game really spreads thin the quality officials that are in the 9th, which I would put at a number of less than 10. This goes for the entire state. I officiated at many levels for close to 20 years, and it's not an easy job and it can be thankless. When you have one quality official out of a 3 man crew, it's very easy for the game to get ugly, especially with the style of play these days. Tough job for the quality/head official to get a 3 man crew on the same page. Way too much inexperience at the varsity level than there should be. The Freshman/JV level seems to have become a starting point for new officials, many of which seem to have minimal knowledge of the game. I honestly feel that new officials need to cut their teeth at the elementary/middle school level, not HS. I blame the system, not the officials themselves. Could be way of base here to some, but this is just my opinion.

I love to see that Brian Sandlin is back in the 9th region, he calls a great game. He had been in the 8th for several years.

 

He calls a pretty good game, but I wouldn't say great by no means.

I find it interesting that we are concerned about calling out refs for being good and bad but daily do this to the student athletes...most people posting anonymously. JMO

 

I just wish they were consistent - good or bad!

Couldn't agree more... Well said.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.