Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th region Refs?

Featured Replies

I do not know Brian Sandlin. First year seeing him call games. I think he calls a very nice game. Communicates well with the coaches. Yes, he's got a little flash him on his calls but I don't have a problem with that unless he starts moonwalking across the floor to report a foul.

 

My counsel would be to stop talking to the fans so much. NOTE: It has ZERO to do with how he calls his games. No impact whatsoever.

 

However, the guy whose job it is to be impartial cannot be joking around and having fun with fans prior to the game. It give some fans reason to say "hey, we didn't get that call because he is so friendly with the other team's fans." Again, not real but perception matters. Less talking eliminates this possible claim of bias.

 

Again, I think he's a strong official.

  • Replies 86
  • Views 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

 

I personally know Sandlin and know that he has more love for officiating then anyone I have ever met. Sounds like a personal thing against Sandlin because everyone else seems to agree that he is one of the best in the 9th. And I would be willing to bet the coaches would take him on their game any day.

 

I don't know Sandlin personally and have no ax to grind with him. I based my original comments on several years of observation. He would be a better ref if he just officiated the game and quit worrying about the people in the stands.

 

I don't know Sandlin personally and have no ax to grind with him. I based my original comments on several years of observation. He would be a better ref if he just officiated the game and quit worrying about the people in the stands.

 

Apparently I have ruffled the refs feathers. I understand he has called around trying to find out who the BigZig is. Stick to calling the game and quit reading BGPs if you can't handle the criticism. I'll say hi the next time I see you calling a game.

Apparently I have ruffled the refs feathers. I understand he has called around trying to find out who the BigZig is. Stick to calling the game and quit reading BGPs if you can't handle the criticism. I'll say hi the next time I see you calling a game.

 

BigZig ain't hard to find.

 

BigZig ain't hard to find.

 

;-) no I'm not. Lol

Sandlin should have stayed in the 8th Region. Pompous showboat who is always trying to interact with the crowd. Capable of calling a good game but he thinks we all came to watch him.

 

Brian Sandlin and I go way back and I have seen a lot of games this year. He has officiated a couple of the games that I have seen. He is easily the best in the 9th. I think there are many officials in the 9th that do not work their feet to be in great position to make calls, therefore many calls are made from emotion and many are made before the play has a chance to complete. Very frustrating to watch. It is especially frustrating to watch the two man crews for the younger ages. Many of those officials are out of shape and cannot keep up with the athletes on the court. Brutal officiating.

Brian Sandlin and I go way back and I have seen a lot of games this year. He has officiated a couple of the games that I have seen. He is easily the best in the 9th. I think there are many officials in the 9th that do not work their feet to be in great position to make calls, therefore many calls are made from emotion and many are made before the play has a chance to complete. Very frustrating to watch. It is especially frustrating to watch the two man crews for the younger ages. Many of those officials are out of shape and cannot keep up with the athletes on the court. Brutal officiating.

 

The 9th is lucky to have some fine refs. Sandlin calls a good game, but is a bit of a show boat. Don't think he is easily the best. I'd put Sean Knollman right up there with the best.

Only two things bother me when it comes to officials(maybe 3):

 

1. Not knowing the REAL rules.

2. Being so fat you cannot keep up. Saw 2 at Henderson Co JV game this week that couldn't hardly bend their legs due to being so fat. One guy often never made it past halfcourt.

3. Sensitive ears.

 

Missed calls happen. If you've never been in the fire you don't get it. You don't see everything.

I think Brian Sandlin is an outstanding official. I'm not trying to pick a fight with the legendary BZ, but having one of most qualified officials in the state back in our region is great for the game. Adding him to upper echelon of the 9th region men and women is good news.

I've seen people commenting on the number of really good officials in the 9th. Without even looking at a list I can easily name 12 to 14 that if they show up at your game you're getting a good game called. I'm sure I'm leaving some out.

I've seen people commenting on the number of really good officials in the 9th. Without even looking at a list I can easily name 12 to 14 that if they show up at your game you're getting a good game called. I'm sure I'm leaving some out.

 

Compared to other associations around the state, that's pretty solid. Agree?

IMO, the northern KY area has some of the best basketball going on and the 9th and 10th region refs do an outstanding job managing the games going on up here. If you watch a game objectively, you would see what a fine job they do but most people in attendance have their school's rose colored glasses on and can't get past that.

 

Do refs miss some calls? Absolutely; they aren't perfect. Coaches and parents aren't doing their kids any favors by blaming the officials for losses or calls they don't agree with.

Compared to other associations around the state, that's pretty solid. Agree?

 

No idea as I am not well-versed on the rest of the state.

Here is a ninth region call that happened this week. Mason girls playing Highlands and Mason was pressing and a Highlands player had the ball and brought it around and elbowed Mason's PG above the eye nearly knocking her out and opening a gash over her eye that tot several stitches to close. I will let you guess if a foul was called or not!

Here is a ninth region call that happened this week. Mason girls playing Highlands and Mason was pressing and a Highlands player had the ball and brought it around and elbowed Mason's PG above the eye nearly knocking her out and opening a gash over her eye that tot several stitches to close. I will let you guess if a foul was called or not!

 

If your point is officials miss calls you are correct.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.