Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Merril Hoge says whoever drafted Johnny Manziel should be fired

Featured Replies

I don't disagree with the concept, but sooner or later you need a quarterback.

 

I let a journeymen QB take the snaps until the critical positions are filled. Especially O Line.

  • Replies 47
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to be tough to fire the guy who drafted him. I am pretty sure the story is that the owner is the one who pushed to draft him.

I don't disagree with the concept, but sooner or later you need a quarterback.

 

Sooner...without a good QB, it is almost impossible to win in the NFL.

I don't think Manziel will ever be that good in the NFL. However, I think teams putting rookies in so early and expecting instant results is ruining QB's. You never see teams let a guy sit on the bench for a year or two to learn anymore. And most of these QB's are on bad teams anyway so it is a recipe for disaster...young QB surrounded by mediocre to bad talent.

I still believe in Johnny, believe it or not.

Wilson is a game manager surrounded by an abundance of talent, Manziel is surrounded by rookies and unproven players.

 

I wouldn't go that far. He has talent around him. Josh Gordon is a stud, he has one of the best LT in the game with Joe Thomas. Has Cameron Jordan on back-up as well. The defense is a solid unit. Only reason I'm making this point is because Bortles is a QB who is literally surrounded by nothing but rookies and unproven players. All that being said I am curious what will happen given an entire offseason under the belt of Manziel. Will he take the time to hit the play book all offseason or continue his Johnny Football life.

I don't think Manziel will ever be that good in the NFL. However, I think teams putting rookies in so early and expecting instant results is ruining QB's. You never see teams let a guy sit on the bench for a year or two to learn anymore. And most of these QB's are on bad teams anyway so it is a recipe for disaster...young QB surrounded by mediocre to bad talent.

 

Yes and no. I think if a QB is good enough that he will be good regardless. I'll throw out my teams QB's for comparison. Blaine Gabbert as a point I don't think would ever be a true NFL QB. Watching him play I knew he was going to be a bust if he sat 2 years or started immedietly. Now, Bortles on the other hand, he's surrounded by rookies EVERY where. Yet, I can see flashes where given enough time will be a franchise QB.

If I'm building (or rebuilding) an NFL team, I start by spending high draft picks on OL. 2nd I build the DL, run stoppers and edge pass rushers. It seems so obvious to me to build from the LOS out.

 

Unless you get that one in 10 year chance to draft an Andrew Luck.

Here is the real problem with Johnny. Pat Kirwin says that when scouting QB's, you take their % completion rate in college and subtract 10 for the pros. Johnny was a 50% passer in college, that equates to 40% in the pros. He is just not accurate enough, plain and simple.

I agree. Add Manning to coming right of college and being successful.

 

Even Peyton struggled his rookie year. It took him 1 year to become really good. His rookie year he threw more interceptions 28 than td's 26 and had a 3-13 record. But, after that year, he was pretty darn good.

Johnny Manziel is Tim Tebow, without the rings in college and a much worse attitude...

Sooner...without a good QB, it is almost impossible to win in the NFL.

 

Is Wilson a good QB? Stick him on the Browns or Redskins, and tell me how many games he wins! Seattle has PROVEN that you don't need a HOF QB to win a SB, and , I believe they win again this year!

Is Wilson a good QB? Stick him on the Browns or Redskins, and tell me how many games he wins! Seattle has PROVEN that you don't need a HOF QB to win a SB, and , I believe they win again this year!

 

Tampa Bay (Brad Johnson) and Baltimore (Trent Dilfer) proved you don't need a HOF QB to win the Super Bowl. These teams and Seattle have/had what the Browns do not, though, great defenses.

 

Having said that, Russell Wilson seems to have a lot more going on upstairs than either Johnson, Dilfer, or Manziel.

 

Personally, I think it's waaaaaayyyyy to early to predict how Johnny Football will eventually do in Cleveland, Big Time or Bust.

Johnny Manziel is Tim Tebow, without the rings in college and a much worse attitude...

 

and shorter!

Here is the real problem with Johnny. Pat Kirwin says that when scouting QB's, you take their % completion rate in college and subtract 10 for the pros. Johnny was a 50% passer in college, that equates to 40% in the pros. He is just not accurate enough, plain and simple.

 

Manziel was incredibly accurate in college. That number is totally wrong. He actually led the the SEC (or nation, can't remember) in accuracy from the pocket.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.