Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kids today-How they differ from then til now.

Featured Replies

What is crazy how calls come in to 911 with someone saying that they have an out of control (you pick an age between 6-16) year old and need the police. An "Out of Control 6 Year Old" are you frickin kidding me? But it happens on a pretty regular basis.

 

I shake my head every time I hear this one coming across the scanner. And it comes across the scanner A LOT.

  • Replies 62
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Parents seem more concerned with being thought of as cool or as a buddy than actually parenting and raising kids to respect others and themselves.

Parents seem more concerned with being thought of as cool or as a buddy than actually parenting and raising kids to respect others and themselves.

 

That is usually a reflection of the quality time they get to spend. I am not saying that is right, but it is one of the byproducts of both parents working. Of course, I am talking in broad general terms as this topic has to be.

Parents seem more concerned with being thought of as cool or as a buddy than actually parenting and raising kids to respect others and themselves.

 

Yes, sir!

Parents seem more concerned with being thought of as cool or as a buddy than actually parenting and raising kids to respect others and themselves.

 

Think this^ would cure a lot of societies ills. For kids and adults.

In a time that this is likely not popular, I think they need more whoopins. Not the AP bullwhip switches. But a single hand on a padded butt cheek would stop an awful lot of sass. Again, likely not popular.

In a time that this is likely not popular, I think they need more whoopins. Not the AP bullwhip switches. But a single hand on a padded butt cheek would stop an awful lot of sass. Again, likely not popular.

 

The reason kids act like they do today is because they don't get those whooopin's that they need and deserve... Some of the fits I see kids throwing public, I'm embarrassed for the parents.

Kids call their coaches and other adults by their first name.

 

Never happened when I was a kid. My dad would have knocked me back in time if it even crossed my mind.

 

This one doesn't bother me. It's the "how" that matters. My kids have always called my close friends by their first name.

 

Heck, I had a catcher call me by my first name. Kid from Minnesota. After a close pitch that I called a ball he politely said "where was that, Greg?" Made me laugh.

Kids are pretty savvy with technology, however with all of their exposure to technology, it would appear that they have not become any brighter.

 

It, along with various other factors seem to have had the opposite effect making them more ignorant in general.

 

It's would be a disservice to lay a blanket statement over this entire generation of youth claiming that they're all lacking, as every once in a while you will see examples of brilliance.

 

In many respects it all seems to boil down to their upbringing, and who they might have had exposure to from past generations.

 

If their only influence from their elders are folks who have little perspective, from say anything before the 1980's, and that's their major influence, and those people attempting to guide them are by and large those who came from those earlier stages of a lost generation, then strong elements of being lost are being past to present day recipients of the lost factor to reinforce even deeper lostness than before. A perpetual progression of ignorance if you will.

 

Today's kids haven't written the book on ignorance, however they are magnifying the storm of it that's been brewing for some time now.

 

To suggest that everyone "back in the day" had their heads screwed on tight would also be a bit of an inaccurate assessment as well as there have always been varying degrees of "having it together" versus "not having it together" depending on what your definition of "having it together" is, which I think we all can agree is subjective, however for the sake of discussion, I believe that we in general have a similar notion of what that is within our microcosm here, and others of our age range from the general public who have had exposure to a past that prompts us to have the perspective to see the difference, versus kids today who have no awareness of the past to have much of a perspective.

 

Some kids raised in the 70's had older parents and grandparents around in stable family arrangements making a difference in their lives, while others perhaps either had younger parents, or where products of broken homes etc..., and depending on which, the descendants of those different dynamics carried on, passing down either desirable or undesirable undisciplined traits to the next and the next and the next generations.

 

Of course not only upbringing plays the primary role in behavior, as peer groups too obviously play a very large significant role in that as well.

 

Obviously it's all a little bit too complex to be able to give one concrete answer to the present day phenomenon of mass youth ignorance as there are so many various factors involved with each kid having so many various family histories establishing whatever values that were established before them.

 

Many of us understand the word "discipline" and have been exposed to its benefits related to navigating through life and being responsible. As generations have gone by there's been a diminishing of solid discipline, and again as that lack of discipline gets past along to more recent generations, so does the semblance of sound responsibility to the point that the present day generation is largely unaware of how discipline could benefit them.

 

Again you can't lay a blanket statement over things, but I've at times witnessed school teachers in today's world who would have never qualified as school teachers many years ago. Of course I have no way of knowing how widespread unqualified teachers are in today's world, but I think we can all agree that in our youth teachers were extremely influential to us. If many of today's kids have a significant lack of guidance from some of today's teachers, that too can play a large role in any effectiveness of leading a child towards a responsible sensible existence.

 

Many of today's kids are being raised by parents that were deeply rooted in what I'd like to call the "Jerry Springer" generation, and it's sad to think that he had that much of an effect, and not giving him all the credit for a deteriorating society, but boy did he sure help to up the ante.

 

I realize that I've pretty much been all over the place with this dissection related to the topic and that my scattered thoughts will never be considered for an article in any psychology publications analyzing today's youth, but without even going into more depth than I already have, those are just the general thoughts on the matter that have started to swim around my mind since discovering that a thread had been started related to such topic.

 

My apologies to Guru for overloading the BGP servers by using the "Reply with quote" option on a bbf post, but..... well said bbf.

 

Also, bbf you aren't related to Jack Handey by chance are you?

image.jpg

I remember begging teachers, when I got in trouble at school, not to call my parents. I knew what I had waiting for me at home was by far worse than any detention or punishment the teacher could give me. Now a days if a teacher says they will call the parents, the kid laughs and says go ahead and call.

I remember begging teachers, when I got in trouble at school, not to call my parents. I knew what I had waiting for me at home was by far worse than any detention or punishment the teacher could give me. Now a days if a teacher says they will call the parents, the kid laughs and says go ahead and call.

 

 

Are you a teacher? I never experienced that at all.

I remember begging teachers, when I got in trouble at school, not to call my parents. I knew what I had waiting for me at home was by far worse than any detention or punishment the teacher could give me. Now a days if a teacher says they will call the parents, the kid laughs and says go ahead and call.

 

My wife is an elementary school teacher. It is now quite common that when a kid gets in trouble in school, the parent/ guardian will come to her school (or call the school) to inquire as to why the teachers are "picking" on his or her child. So many parents/guardians these days seem to think their kids are incapable of doing any wrong and are constantly seeking to lay the blame anywhere except where it belongs. Amy has literally had kids punch, bully, name call, steal etc. (with corroboration of the acts by other teachers and/or other students), and yet some parents still refuse to accept that their kids would ever do any wrong. I've heard some pretty amazing things over the years about these situations. Of course, as expected, she never divulges names to me.

Parents seem more concerned with being thought of as cool or as a buddy than actually parenting and raising kids to respect others and themselves.

 

I don't know why people don't get it. You're not their friend, you're their parent.

 

Kids need and crave discipline. But it has to start when they are babies and carry on from there.

 

 

In a time that this is likely not popular, I think they need more whoopins. Not the AP bullwhip switches. But a single hand on a padded butt cheek would stop an awful lot of sass. Again, likely not popular.

 

The best thing you can do for your kids is dicipline them and hold them responsible. Raise them to be strong and independent. They will love you for it.

 

A propper amount of fear of authority figures is healthy. Kids should have some fear of what will happen when they do something wrong.

 

My wife is an elementary school teacher. It is now quite common that when a kid gets in trouble in school, the parent/ guardian will come to her school (or call the school) to inquire as to why the teachers are "picking" on his or her child. So many parents/guardians these days seem to think their kids are incapable of doing any wrong and are constantly seeking to lay the blame anywhere except where it belongs. Amy has literally had kids punch, bully, name call, steal etc. (with corroboration of the acts by other teachers and/or other students), and yet some parents still refuse to accept that their kids would ever do any wrong. I've heard some pretty amazing things over the years about these situations. Of course, as expected, she never divulges names to me.

 

I have heard this type of stuff repeatedly from teachers. Instead of supporting the school, the teacher, and holding their child accountable they look for someone to blame.

 

So needless to say since the child sees his/her parent not respecting the school as an authority figure, the child is not going to respect the school as an authority figure.

Bullet Points are your Friend, BBF

 

- Dig it.

 

- Good Point.

 

- Noted.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.