September 16, 201412 yr My apologies to Guru for overloading the BGP servers by using the "Reply with quote" option on a bbf post, but..... well said bbf. Also, bbf you aren't related to Jack Handey by chance are you? Not to my knowledge.
September 16, 201412 yr I'm guessing every generation has made the statement as to how the current younger generation has it so easy, isn't as disciplined, is lazy, spoiled etc. I can remember my father's "when I was a kid" speeches. Society is rapidly evolving. I think much of the change is a result of each generation trying to do a little better than the generation before in terms of raising there kids. Thank goodness we have moved away from thins like corporal punishment. I still remember corporal punishment and the kids went through remained knuckleheads...it didn't change or prevent any behaviors. I still see many, many great kids out there. And yes there are more than a few knuckleheads as well, but I don't think the percentage has changed much. I think evolution, and change is good, so we don't continue to make the same mistakes we did in the past. I'm not psychic, but I guarantee the next generation will say the same things about their children.
September 16, 201412 yr Are you a teacher? I never experienced that at all. As a coach do you know how many times teachers come to me about stuff in the class room and say, can you talk to the parents, ive tried calling/texting/emailing with no response. Biggest change I have seen is that parents just dont care anymore, not the way they used to. Every year there are 1 or 2 kids that have no idea whos picking them up, how they are getting home, whos house they might be staying at. Kids are different, but I agree its really in the parents.
September 16, 201412 yr Are you a teacher? I never experienced that at all. I'm not a teacher but several family members and good friends are teachers. Not saying all kids and parents are like that but every teacher I know have said the parents stick up for the kid more so than not.
September 16, 201412 yr I'll also say this... A dependency on technology is not a problem limited to young people. Kids want to be like adults, and lots of adults spend their lives looking down at cell phones.
September 16, 201412 yr There is no difference in the kids. The difference is in their parents. Yes and no. The biggest difference is in what parents, teachers and others are afraid to do. Discipline your kid? Someone might report you for child abuse. Discipline a kid in school? Lawsuit or even worse, the accusation you did something inappropriate.
September 16, 201412 yr My 14 year olds can't write in cursive because they haven't been taught. They sign their names in print I print only because my cursive is atrocious
September 16, 201412 yr Yes and no. The biggest difference is in what parents, teachers and others are afraid to do. Discipline your kid? Someone might report you for child abuse. Discipline a kid in school? Lawsuit or even worse, the accusation you did something inappropriate. Unless you are defining discipline as spanking (or some other form of physical punishment), I don't think anyone would have an issue. There are other ways to hold children accountable for their actions. But yes, if you choose to punish your child physically, the possibility exists that you could be held accountable.
September 16, 201412 yr I remember begging teachers, when I got in trouble at school, not to call my parents. I knew what I had waiting for me at home was by far worse than any detention or punishment the teacher could give me. Now a days if a teacher says they will call the parents, the kid laughs and says go ahead and call. I remember when my son was in the 6th grade he gave a teacher a hard time one day in class. I had him write an apology letter to the teacher and the class for waisting valuable class time. I also went to the class with him the next day while he read the letter to the entire class.
September 16, 201412 yr I interact with teens on a routine basis. I find the vast majority of them to be good kids. Most are pretty respectful. I disagree with how they hold rock stars and sports stars in esteem. In discussing a salary a player was making - perhaps Votto - I overheard one say, "He's worth it", refering to the plus-hundred million dollar salary he receives. This tells me that they are out of touch with reality (or maybe its me), which doesn't bode well for their futures. They are whiz-bangs on their mobile devises, play only organized sports, and few fish or hunt. They tend to be cloistered and pampered. They all seem to have pockets full of money. I used to have this thing called an allowance, and if I wanted extra money for a special purchase, etc., I had to earn it. I also eat out a LOT. It irks me to see unruly youngsters in restaurants or in shopping venues, that parents continually threaten, but never-ever follow up with. I think to myself, "That kids is going to be a problem when he/she grows up." I am very much a "Spare the Rod and Spoil the Child" advocate. Time outs don't work. A little basic fear of a painful punishment never hurt me, and wouldn't hurt them, but unfortunately our society has become a bunch of "Bleeding Hearts," bringing on ourselves the entitlement mentality, or being afraid to discipline their own children, and putting that responsibility on others.
September 16, 201412 yr Growing up everyone I knew mowed yards, raked leaves and shoveled snow to earn money. I've lived in my house 29 years and can't remember more than 3-4 times someone stopped by asking to perform one of those chores and I know twice they were adults. To be fair, I think there's a 1000 times more landscaping companies that are doing that professionally today, than when I was a kid. Honestly, I can't remember of anyone who used to do that (mow lawns for a living). Nowadays, I know two or three myself. Likewise, my first two jobs were 1.) baling hay for the local farmer, and 2.) bagging groceries at the grocery store. Heck, it's hard to even find those two jobs around today.
September 16, 201412 yr I guess I don't understand why so many people believe that discipline must be and is only effective in the form of spanking or causing some sort of physical pain. In no other aspect of our lives do we feel that is effective, nor proper. Imagine if you had an employer that employed spanking whenever you made a mistake. I get it I guess, many of us were raised that way (including myself). But I remember a conversation I had with my father when my kids were young, and I was struggling with getting my kids to listen....he said his biggest regret as a father was spanking my brother and I when we misbehaved. That has stuck with me.
September 16, 201412 yr This topic reminds me of the conversation between Carl the janitor and the principal in the Breakfast Club. On my phone or I'd post the clip.
September 17, 201412 yr This topic reminds me of the conversation between Carl the janitor and the principal in the Breakfast Club. On my phone or I'd post the clip. Awesome scene from an awesome movie..:thumb:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.