Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Arizona execution lasts nearly 2 hours

Featured Replies

Yeah, not really. Part of the reason the guillotine fell out of favor is because it was taking three and four drops of the blade to finish the job. High-grade gory.
I was joking.....but....

 

You don't think in this day and age we could make one that would work swiftly in one drop?

  • Replies 181
  • Views 13.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to be against the death penalty and against torture. Now I am for both. This situation doesn't bother me at all.

 

 

#crimedontpay

At least in Kentucky, there are 3 drugs that are used sequentially in lethal injection situations for executions. Since it concerns drugs, we talked a little bit about it during a lecture while I was attending pharmacy school about 2 years ago. Some of the doses they are using to achieve the effects desired in the prisoner aren't being dosed correctly as often enough the prisons deliver them into the prisoner at rather set dose each time. What works for one guy may not work as well as another. Many of the drugs they use need weight-based dosing to work properly so this might be a part of what happened here.

 

I've seen some reports where the people hired by the prison system to mix the "cocktail" are completely unqualified to do it properly. Whichever one messed up an execution earlier this year had hired a guy who had actually been stripped of his license by the state.

I've seen some reports where the people hired by the prison system to mix the "cocktail" are completely unqualified to do it properly. Whichever one messed up an execution earlier this year had hired a guy who had actually been stripped of his license by the state.

 

That's what we were told as well. There might be a need then for a pharmacist in situations like this to make sure they are dosing things appropriately but then again I don't know of too many people volunteering to take up that duty in the pharmacy community.

That's what we were told as well. There might be a need then for a pharmacist in situations like this to make sure they are dosing things appropriately but then again I don't know of too many people volunteering to take up that duty in the pharmacy community.

 

The lethal injection procedure is overseen in many states by a doctor. I have absolutely zero clue how they legitimize getting by the whole Hippocratic Oath thing, though.

 

Then again, what's a pesky little oath anyhow?

I was joking.....but....

 

You don't think in this day and age we could make one that would work swiftly in one drop?

 

It's a remnant of an age gratefully forgotten, when the French nation tried to destroy itself. Just seeing that guillotine makes me shudder.

I used to be against the death penalty and against torture. Now I am for both. This situation doesn't bother me at all.

 

 

#crimedontpay

 

Spoken like a former criminal.

The lethal injection procedure is overseen in many states by a doctor. I have absolutely zero clue how they legitimize getting by the whole Hippocratic Oath thing, though.

 

Then again, what's a pesky little oath anyhow?

 

I completely understand where you're coming from there. I will say this tough that while the Doctors are experts in the field, the real drug experts are Pharmacists. So if there is any question about a drug and how it should be used/dosed appropriately, its them you should go to. But then again, there are doctors who know what they are doing and how it should be done so I don't want to lump all of them into one basket.

 

Personally, I just couldn't justify killing another human being as a health professional (I'm in my last year of pharmacy school but close enough :p). Even Physician-Assisted suicide as well as Euthanasia (both terms are different) are very controversial to me because I couldn't rationalize doing something like that although I do understand that the individuals in question may have motivations for doing so like burdens on the family, financial reasons, etc.

 

However there will always be at least one guy in the health professions that would be okay doing these types of things although I'd disagree with him.

I completely understand where you're coming from there. I will say this tough that while the Doctors are experts in the field, the real drug experts are Pharmacists. So if there is any question about a drug and how it should be used/dosed appropriately, its them you should go to. But then again, there are doctors who know what they are doing and how it should be done so I don't want to lump all of them into one basket.

 

Personally, I just couldn't justify killing another human being as a health professional (I'm in my last year of pharmacy school but close enough :p). Even Physician-Assisted suicide as well as Euthanasia (both terms are different) are very controversial to me because I couldn't rationalize doing something like that although I do understand that the individuals in question may have motivations for doing so like burdens on the family, financial reasons, etc.

 

However there will always be at least one guy in the health professions that would be okay doing these types of things although I'd disagree with him.

 

Absolutely agree with you on your whole post. And TOTALLY agree that the Pharmacists are the real drug experts. My sister-in-law and one of my wife's best friends are both Pharmacists, and after hearing them talk about their experiences in the medical field, I can't see how that isn't 100% true. :thumb:

Spoken like a former criminal.

 

 

:lol2: :lol2:

 

No felonies. A few petty misdemeanors. Nothing that would make me a tough guy in the pen.

 

#wontdropthesoap

I don't agree with it, but I don't feel the least bit of sympathy. Seems like it was God's will

I don't agree with it, but I don't feel the least bit of sympathy. Seems like it was God's will

 

You really think God willed for some guards to strap a guy down to a table, stick an IV in his arm and a backup IV in the other, pump deadly toxins into his body with the intent of executing him, and then be "surprised" when the guy gasped and squirmed on the table for two hours as he died?

You really think God willed for some guards to strap a guy down to a table, stick an IV in his arm and a backup IV in the other, pump deadly toxins into his body with the intent of executing him, and then be "surprised" when the guy gasped and squirmed on the table for two hours as he died?

 

Sounds like something Jesus would have said.

I keep wondering when the looney Tea Partiers are going to come out against the death penalty. After all, it's costing the government more money than life imprisonment.

 

Fun fact, a California study found that simply incarcerating an inmate on death row for 1 year costs, on average, $90,000 more than incarcerating an inmate in general population.

 

The same study also found that with 11 executions spread over 27 years in California, taxpayers have paid over $250 million for each execution.

 

No reason to call me looney .

Sounds like something Jesus would have said.

 

"Let him who is with a badge among you be the first to stick an IV."

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.