Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tony Dungy: I wouldn’t have taken Michael Sam

Featured Replies

The media hype is an obstacle but he chose to make out with his boyfriend during the draft. Maybe he brought a lot of the media hype onto himself?

 

I would have steered clear of Sam too.

  • Replies 97
  • Views 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's the current Arthur Ashe award winner. I suspect that will be the peak of his fame. Good for him. I seriously doubt he'll be a significant player in this league.

The fact that Dungy is being criticized for being honest sickens me. It just proves his point. Sam isn't worth the headache or distraction as he's viewed as marginally capable of playing in the NFL.

Tony probably should have addressed it differently, but I will give him a pass on his track record alone. He is not controversial and has done loads of good for many people and dealt with a family tragedy that was public extremely well. I don't believe his Evangelical Christian views would be carried to the workplace by him.

 

Bottom line, he should have just said in my evaluation of him he is not an NFL caliber player.

 

Why should he have to say that? Did he say anything about Sam's sexuality? Nothing he said was controversial IMO.

It's sad when even the politically correct answers or being nice in how you address something isn't good enough for the public.

This is a witch hunt in which the liberal media wants to take things said about Sam and make people into bigots. Over the past two decades it would be hard to find someone as classy as Dungy in any sport.

Kind of funny that they didn't run the comment until way later. That kind of garbage drives me nuts.

I don't think the statement says much to clear it up. He's not against the right for gays to play.

 

What we do NOT know is if he would have taken Jadaveon Clowney if Clowney was gay. Would his talent be worth the media distractions?

 

Until he answers that hypothetical we don't know where he stands.

 

Note: For the record, I don't care what Tony's feelings are. If he thinks being gay is sinful that's fine. Has no impact on me.

Edited by Clyde

Apparently Sam has said, "I'm glad Dungy isn't the coach of the Rams."

 

I don't have a link yet but now he's really put himself out there. He better make the team.

Apparently Sam has said, "I'm glad Dungy isn't the coach of the Rams."

 

I don't have a link yet but now he's really put himself out there. He better make the team.

 

Tony Dungy clarifies comments on Michael Sam of St. Louis Rams - ESPN

 

With the way Sam comes off in this interview, it's going to be funny when he's out of the league or creates some other type of distraction that the Rams have brought on. He's not an NFL talent should feel lucky to have come along at a time where he can basically be the mascot for a social cause, not criticizing well respected coaches who state the obvious in a way that his own personal opinion when he says Sam isn't talented enough to warrant all the attention he'll bring.

Anyone else think its a little funny that Dungy says that he would be too much of a distraction and becomes part of the distraction?

Apparently Sam has said, "I'm glad Dungy isn't the coach of the Rams."

 

I don't have a link yet but now he's really put himself out there. He better make the team.

 

Did you actually hear the comment when Sam made it? He was actually, to the contrary, quite likable and was laughing when he said it. He followed it up with he has a lot of respect for Coach Dungy and everyone in America is entitled to their opinion, then said, he was only focused on trying to make the team. I don't think his response could have been better given the fire-storm that Dungy created yesterday. He wasn't the least bit snide in his comments.

Did you actually hear the comment when Sam made it? He was actually, to the contrary, quite likable and was laughing when he said it. He followed it up with he has a lot of respect for Coach Dungy and everyone in America is entitled to their opinion, then said, he was only focused on trying to make the team. I don't think his response could have been better given the fire-storm that Dungy created yesterday. He wasn't the least bit snide in his comments.

 

When I read PP92's post, I immediately thought it was a very dumb thing for Sam to say.

 

After seeing the actual clip, I thought he played it off great and it was a great way to get a lot of the awkwardness out of the way.

After seeing the actual clip, I thought he played it off great and it was a great way to get a lot of the awkwardness out of the way.

 

Agreed :thumb:

I guess I'm in the BGP minority on this one - still.

 

Coach Dungy says that Sam deserves a chance.

 

 

NIMBY.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.