Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tony Dungy: I wouldn’t have taken Michael Sam

Featured Replies

I think Dungy should be allowed to have an opinion. The ESPN reporter who played for the Giants said he has the same opinion but no one even noticed

 

He's allowed to have his opinion. And then others are allowed to have an opinion about Dungy's opinion.

  • Replies 97
  • Views 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
??? Who's making jokes about that?

 

50% of the dudes under 35 on twitter. "...I wish he had hit the hole that hard last year..." type of stuff. Lots of it.

50% of the dudes under 35 on twitter. "...I wish he had hit the hole that hard last year..." type of stuff. Lots of it.

 

I don't follow twitter...just another reason right there not to I guess. Ironically he was my first pick in last years fantasy draft. If there was true justice in the world he probably wouldn't' be playing this year.

He's allowed to have his opinion. And then others are allowed to have an opinion about Dungy's opinion.

 

That's fine but the way things are these days, that's two different things.

The ONLY reason that this is a big deal is due to how vocal Dungy is about his faith. People believe that he can't make an unbiased decision, and, in turn, are actually biased against anything that he says whether for the good or the bad.

 

If Bill Parcels or Bill Cowher or some other coach said what Dungy said, do you think there would be the same uproar? I think there would be. It isn't about Dungy. It is about the media generating hits on their website. They can take a topic that will get people stirred up, so the headline writer twists and fires it up.

Haven't read the entire thread so I apologize if I've missed this same post.

 

The "he's allowed to have an opinion" stuff is a waste of space. It's like saying "he's allowed to live."

 

My issue: He claims he wouldn't take him because he is a distraction ie the media covering him are a distraction to the team. He didn't, as far as I can tell, say "don't take Tebow - he's a distraction" or "don't sign Vick after prison - media circus to follow." Why? Religious beliefs. I could care less (for my friend MTGL) what his beliefs are. 1000% irrelevant. My issue is simply consistency. Sams is less of a media circus than either Tim T or Vick.

 

Just be consistent OR just stand up for your beliefs no matter what the reaction is.

The media hype is an obstacle but he chose to make out with his boyfriend d.

 

If two quick smooches and a hug qualify as a "make out" session then we've all "made out" with our Moms.

50% of the dudes under 35 on twitter. "...I wish he had hit the hole that hard last year..." type of stuff. Lots of it.

 

If Michael Sam turns out to be a talent like Rice all of a sudden the distraction isn't a big deal. The bigger the talent the more a distraction doesn't matter.

If two quick smooches and a hug qualify as a "make out" session then we've all "made out" with our Moms.

 

I never ate cake out of moms mouth on TV.

Haven't read the entire thread so I apologize if I've missed this same post.

 

The "he's allowed to have an opinion" stuff is a waste of space. It's like saying "he's allowed to live."

 

My issue: He claims he wouldn't take him because he is a distraction ie the media covering him are a distraction to the team. He didn't, as far as I can tell, say "don't take Tebow - he's a distraction" or "don't sign Vick after prison - media circus to follow." Why? Religious beliefs. I could care less (for my friend MTGL) what his beliefs are. 1000% irrelevant. My issue is simply consistency. Sams is less of a media circus than either Tim T or Vick.

 

Just be consistent OR just stand up for your beliefs no matter what the reaction is.

 

Less of a media distraction ? I would maybe say no more of a media distraction but I wouldn't say less. Also both of the other two were better NFL prospects and talents at the points in their careers the distractions arose. Like I said distractions become less important when you perform. If he goes out and performs there will be a lot of teams who will regret passing on him.

 

But lets be real part of the reason Tebow can't find a job is the perceived distraction the comes a long with tebow. Its all an ROI convo.

Haven't read the entire thread so I apologize if I've missed this same post.

 

The "he's allowed to have an opinion" stuff is a waste of space. It's like saying "he's allowed to live."

 

My issue: He claims he wouldn't take him because he is a distraction ie the media covering him are a distraction to the team. He didn't, as far as I can tell, say "don't take Tebow - he's a distraction" or "don't sign Vick after prison - media circus to follow." Why? Religious beliefs. I could care less (for my friend MTGL) what his beliefs are. 1000% irrelevant. My issue is simply consistency. Sams is less of a media circus than either Tim T or Vick.

 

Just be consistent OR just stand up for your beliefs no matter what the reaction is.

 

Clyde ... I think you are behind the story on Dungy. He has said that it is all about helping a football team win, not the distraction.

 

If Dungy felt Sam would help his team win, he would draft him. Dungy and 27 other teams don't think Sam has the skill/ability to help their team.

If Michael Sam turns out to be a talent like Rice all of a sudden the distraction isn't a big deal.

 

Ray Rice

Greg Hardy

AJ Jefferson

Daryl Washington

Leroy Hill

Chris Rainey

Robert Sands

Bryan Thomas

Chad Johnson

Erik Walden

Julian Edelman

Chris Cook

Marvin White

Brandon Marshall

 

These are the NFL players (on a roster at the time) arrested for assaulting a woman in the last 3 years -- maybe we should worry less about who Michael Sam loves and more about fixing this issue.

 

Kudos to Jason Witten who started a foundation to help with battered women. ( Dallas Cowboys' Jason Witten Wins the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award for his Work to End Domestic Violence - Forbes)

^ Didn't realize that Julian Edelman was a part of that list.

 

Arrested for assault and battery on a woman at a Halloween party a couple of years ago.

Ray Rice

Greg Hardy

AJ Jefferson

Daryl Washington

Leroy Hill

Chris Rainey

Robert Sands

Bryan Thomas

Chad Johnson

Erik Walden

Julian Edelman

Chris Cook

Marvin White

Brandon Marshall

 

These are the NFL players (on a roster at the time) arrested for assaulting a woman in the last 3 years -- maybe we should worry less about who Michael Sam loves and more about fixing this issue.

 

Kudos to Jason Witten who started a foundation to help with battered women. ( Dallas Cowboys' Jason Witten Wins the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award for his Work to End Domestic Violence - Forbes)

 

First how many were convicted that is a little different from arrested. Domestic issues are nasty situation no rationale human would support . But you are trying to muddy the waters . Bottom line is most NFL teams didn't think Sams could help their team or even if they saw a chance they didn't think the ROI was worth the risk.

 

It really is that simple. Dungy is one of the more classy people on this planet still breathing . For his character to be called into question is a joke.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.