Tony Dungy: I wouldn’t have taken Michael Sam

“I wouldn’t have taken him,’’ Dungy told theTampa Tribune. “Not because I don’t believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn’t want to deal with all of it. It’s not going to be totally smooth . . . things will happen.’’

What Dungy is expressing publicly is similar to what some coaches and general managers have said privately, in anonymous quotes in stories about Sam before the draft. But Dungy is the highest-profile person in the NFL world to put his name behind the viewpoint that Sam would cause a distraction and would be more trouble than he’s worth.

Tony Dungy: I wouldn?t have taken Michael Sam | ProFootballTalk

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me either. Namely because I don't think he can play at that level.

The logical response to Tony's comment would have been "yeah but what if he was as good as Clowney AND he was gay. You still passing on him?"

It's easy to say you would not want to mess with the circus for a guy who might not make the team. I want to know what you would do if he was a stud (so to speak).

The logical response to Tony's comment would have been "yeah but what if he was as good as Clowney AND he was gay. You still passing on him?"

It's easy to say you would not want to mess with the circus for a guy who might not make the team. I want to know what you would do if he was a stud (so to speak).

No question, SIGN HIM!!!

“I wouldn’t have taken him,’’ Dungy told theTampa Tribune. “Not because I don’t believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn’t want to deal with all of it. It’s not going to be totally smooth . . . things will happen.’’

What Dungy is expressing publicly is similar to what some coaches and general managers have said privately, in anonymous quotes in stories about Sam before the draft. But Dungy is the highest-profile person in the NFL world to put his name behind the viewpoint that Sam would cause a distraction and would be more trouble than he’s worth.

Tony Dungy: I wouldn?t have taken Michael Sam | ProFootballTalk

If Tony Dungy had been managing the Brooklyn Dodgers, would Jackie Robinson ever have played?

It's a lose/lose for the Rams. If he can't play, and he's a marginal guy, and they cut him the release will be national headlines. Hundreds of guys get cut because of talent level but this one will be like Tebow getting cut.

Paging Josina. Paging Josina. Please report to Rams training camp.

Also, Vick was an exceptional talent. Do not forget it is easier to put up with the circus when a guy can play. Everyone put up with Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, and Chad Johnson circuses when they were elite level receivers. As soon as they became marginal receivers they were cut and no one would sign them. All about TALENT!

If Tony Dungy had been managing the Brooklyn Dodgers, would Jackie Robinson ever have played?

No, Tony is really white.

come on, it's about ability. As to Clyde's scenario, if a guy is talented, you deal with the other stuff. But he's not. Or at least I don't think he is. I'll be shocked if he plays any significant minutes in the league. I think he'll make the 53 man roster at this point simply because of the PR nightmare it would be if he didn't.

Along those lines, it's not out of the question that Clowney becomes a greater circus.