Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tony Dungy: I wouldn’t have taken Michael Sam

Featured Replies

“I wouldn’t have taken him,’’ Dungy told theTampa Tribune. “Not because I don’t believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn’t want to deal with all of it. It’s not going to be totally smooth . . . things will happen.’’

 

What Dungy is expressing publicly is similar to what some coaches and general managers have said privately, in anonymous quotes in stories about Sam before the draft. But Dungy is the highest-profile person in the NFL world to put his name behind the viewpoint that Sam would cause a distraction and would be more trouble than he’s worth.

 

Tony Dungy: I wouldn?t have taken Michael Sam | ProFootballTalk

  • Replies 97
  • Views 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

I wouldn't have taken Sam either.

 

How about you?

Me either. Namely because I don't think he can play at that level.

  • Author
Me either. Namely because I don't think he can play at that level.

 

I question that too and when you add questionable ability with all else I think it makes the case not to take Sam even stronger.

Me either. Namely because I don't think he can play at that level.

 

The logical response to Tony's comment would have been "yeah but what if he was as good as Clowney AND he was gay. You still passing on him?"

 

It's easy to say you would not want to mess with the circus for a guy who might not make the team. I want to know what you would do if he was a stud (so to speak).

  • Author
The logical response to Tony's comment would have been "yeah but what if he was as good as Clowney AND he was gay. You still passing on him?"

 

It's easy to say you would not want to mess with the circus for a guy who might not make the team. I want to know what you would do if he was a stud (so to speak).

 

No question, SIGN HIM!!!

“I wouldn’t have taken him,’’ Dungy told theTampa Tribune. “Not because I don’t believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn’t want to deal with all of it. It’s not going to be totally smooth . . . things will happen.’’

 

What Dungy is expressing publicly is similar to what some coaches and general managers have said privately, in anonymous quotes in stories about Sam before the draft. But Dungy is the highest-profile person in the NFL world to put his name behind the viewpoint that Sam would cause a distraction and would be more trouble than he’s worth.

 

Tony Dungy: I wouldn?t have taken Michael Sam | ProFootballTalk

 

If Tony Dungy had been managing the Brooklyn Dodgers, would Jackie Robinson ever have played?

It's a lose/lose for the Rams. If he can't play, and he's a marginal guy, and they cut him the release will be national headlines. Hundreds of guys get cut because of talent level but this one will be like Tebow getting cut.

 

Paging Josina. Paging Josina. Please report to Rams training camp.

should have added, glad the Rams had the guts to take him. He deserves a shot based on his skill set but let's not make a federal crime out of it if/when he gets released.

I'm really surprised that these comments came from Dungy.

 

From him it seems a little hypocritical just because he was all about getting Vick a 2nd chance. He didn't mind the media circus and dealing with that?

Also, Vick was an exceptional talent. Do not forget it is easier to put up with the circus when a guy can play. Everyone put up with Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, and Chad Johnson circuses when they were elite level receivers. As soon as they became marginal receivers they were cut and no one would sign them. All about TALENT!

If Tony Dungy had been managing the Brooklyn Dodgers, would Jackie Robinson ever have played?

 

Come on. Sams is a marginal player at best. Robinson was one of the top talents of the Negro Leagues.

If Tony Dungy had been managing the Brooklyn Dodgers, would Jackie Robinson ever have played?

 

No, Tony is really white.

 

 

come on, it's about ability. As to Clyde's scenario, if a guy is talented, you deal with the other stuff. But he's not. Or at least I don't think he is. I'll be shocked if he plays any significant minutes in the league. I think he'll make the 53 man roster at this point simply because of the PR nightmare it would be if he didn't.

The logical response to Tony's comment would have been "yeah but what if he was as good as Clowney AND he was gay. You still passing on him?"

 

It's easy to say you would not want to mess with the circus for a guy who might not make the team. I want to know what you would do if he was a stud (so to speak).

Along those lines, it's not out of the question that Clowney becomes a greater circus.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.