Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tony Dungy: I wouldn’t have taken Michael Sam

Featured Replies

Did you actually hear the comment when Sam made it? He was actually, to the contrary, quite likable and was laughing when he said it. He followed it up with he has a lot of respect for Coach Dungy and everyone in America is entitled to their opinion, then said, he was only focused on trying to make the team. I don't think his response could have been better given the fire-storm that Dungy created yesterday. He wasn't the least bit snide in his comments.

 

No. I only saw the tweet about it. I'm glad he came across personable and took it in stride.

  • Replies 97
  • Views 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have zero problem with what Dungy said. People used the same excuse about Tebow.

.......

 

I wish people considered all of the domestic abusers in the NFL too much of a distraction to have around, not just the one guy who openly loves other men.

.......

 

I wish people considered all of the domestic abusers in the NFL too much of a distraction to have around, not just the one guy who openly loves other men.

How many franchises do you believe they would have to eliminate?
How many franchises do you believe they would have to eliminate?

 

People make jokes about Ray Rice and his girlfriend and then hop on a soap-box to try and eliminate the distraction of a gay player. Give me a dude who loves dudes 100x out of a 100 over a guy that knocks women around. We need more guys like Brandon Meriweather who said, "people who beat their girlfriends should be kicked out of the league."

 

I just find people's priorities at what to rail against interesting. That is all.

People make jokes about Ray Rice and his girlfriend and then hop on a soap-box to try and eliminate the distraction of a gay player. Give me a dude who loves dudes 100x out of a 100 over a guy that knocks women around. We need more guys like Brandon Meriweather who said, "people who beat their girlfriends should be kicked out of the league."

 

I just find people's priorities at what to rail against interesting. That is all.

 

I don't disagree with you at all. I was just saying that there would be a lot less players in the NFL if they stopped drafting physical abusers, drug abusers and so on. I don't know why anyone would want to prevent anyone from playing pro sports, or working in any field for that matter due to their sexual orientation no matter if they believe it's a sin or not.

People make jokes about Ray Rice and his girlfriend and then hop on a soap-box to try and eliminate the distraction of a gay player. Give me a dude who loves dudes 100x out of a 100 over a guy that knocks women around. We need more guys like Brandon Meriweather who said, "people who beat their girlfriends should be kicked out of the league."

 

I just find people's priorities at what to rail against interesting. That is all.

 

??? Who's making jokes about that? Not to say it hasn't happened but I haven't heard any. If people are they then should be ashamed of themselves. Men who abuse women are little, weak pathetic men and should be caged like the animals they are.

I don't think the statement says much to clear it up. He's not against the right for gays to play.

 

What we do NOT know is if he would have taken Jadaveon Clowney if Clowney was gay. Would his talent be worth the media distractions?

 

Until he answers that hypothetical we don't know where he stands.

 

Note: For the record, I don't care what Tony's feelings are. If he thinks being gay is sinful that's fine. Has no impact on me.

 

Dungy said on Dan Patrick today that it is about one thing - winning football. He said as a coach his one goal is to win football and if a player can help a team win, that is all he cares about.

 

I continue to be amazed at all the hype around Dungy saying he wouldn't have drafted Sam and nobody is taking to task 27 NFL teams that actually did not draft Sam. Much ado about nothing. Today's media showing all of its worthlessness. It is all about the headline and hits on a website. Whatever it takes to get traffic, go for it.

Dungy said on Dan Patrick today that it is about one thing - winning football. He said as a coach his one goal is to win football and if a player can help a team win, that is all he cares about.

 

I continue to be amazed at all the hype around Dungy saying he wouldn't have drafted Sam and nobody is taking to task 27 NFL teams that actually did not draft Sam. Much ado about nothing. Today's media showing all of its worthlessness. It is all about the headline and hits on a website. Whatever it takes to get traffic, go for it.

 

The ONLY reason that this is a big deal is due to how vocal Dungy is about his faith. People believe that he can't make an unbiased decision, and, in turn, are actually biased against anything that he says whether for the good or the bad.

.......

 

I wish people considered all of the domestic abusers in the NFL too much of a distraction to have around, not just the one guy who openly loves other men.

 

 

Great point.

The ONLY reason that this is a big deal is due to how vocal Dungy is about his faith. People believe that he can't make an unbiased decision, and, in turn, are actually biased against anything that he says whether for the good or the bad.

 

If that's aimed at me, you need to reread my post where I first introduced the religion angle.

I think Dungy should be allowed to have an opinion. The ESPN reporter who played for the Giants said he has the same opinion but no one even noticed

I think Dungy should be allowed to have an opinion. The ESPN reporter who played for the Giants said he has the same opinion but no one even noticed

 

I heard it too. It was Antonio Pierce. This was nothing more than an media attempt to attack a mans openly strong Christian beliefs. There is probably no one in the NFL who would show more love and grace to Michael Sam the person than Tony Dungy. The media makes me sick!

Dungy said on Dan Patrick today that it is about one thing - winning football. He said as a coach his one goal is to win football and if a player can help a team win, that is all he cares about.

 

I continue to be amazed at all the hype around Dungy saying he wouldn't have drafted Sam and nobody is taking to task 27 NFL teams that actually did not draft Sam. Much ado about nothing. Today's media showing all of its worthlessness. It is all about the headline and hits on a website. Whatever it takes to get traffic, go for it.

 

The Rams wouldn't have even drafted him if they didn't have a second 7th round pick.

If that's aimed at me, you need to reread my post where I first introduced the religion angle.

 

I quoted VOR to add to his/her point. Awfully sensitive, buddy.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.