Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fair or Unfair?

Featured Replies

I too believe that our rights are based on the idea that our rights are granted to us by God and protected by the Bill of Rights. That does not mean that Christians want a theocracy. It is much better to have our country based on the moral grounds of Christianity than Sharia Law. Talk about taking education in a backward move. Women would not even be allowed to learn to read and write according to groups like the Taliban.

 

Even as extreme as Westboro is in our country, I have not seen them stone anyone. Or keep them from going to school.

 

Why do you mention Sharia Law? Why is that a concern in this country? Seems like a red herring.

  • Replies 120
  • Views 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do you mention Sharia Law? Why is that a concern in this country? Seems like a red herring.

 

I'm guessing it had to do with a poster saying Christians pose as big a threat as Muslim extremists to this country. Sharia law goes hand and hand with Muslim extremists. .

I think it's very valid to question whether the Conservative Right is trying to push us toward Theocracy. I can't go a day without hearing that we are a country founded on Christianity, followed by a list Christian principles that are not in line with my Christian upbringing and faith. I also feel those in power who ride these tides are just as dangerous to American ideology as Muslim extremists.

 

I'm not going to lie this post disappointed me a little.

Why do you mention Sharia Law? Why is that a concern in this country? Seems like a red herring.

 

In researching Sharia Law in the US, I have found a number of cases that allowed the use of Sharia Law for decisions. An article for Fox News by Maxim Lott Aug. 5, 2010 showed how court rulings in New Jersey and Texas used Sharia Law. The NJ ruling denied a restraining order for a wife based on Sharia and a Texas judge based a divorce decision on Sharia. Bill Mears Jan. 10, 2012 for CNN wrote that a federal judge in Oklahoma blocked the use of a law that barred the use

of Sharia and international law in making court decisions. These were just some of the cases listed.

 

I do not remember which Supreme Court justice said we should use international law to judge cases, which would include Sharia. The slippery slope begins.

How many people did Westboro Baptist Church kill as compared to Muslim Extremest.

Them saying God kills gays and protesting soldiers funerals is a lot different than what the Muslim Extremist do. I bet the parents of the kidnapped girls would rather deal with the Westboro Church than Boko Haram.

I also feel those in power who ride these tides are just as dangerous to American ideology as Muslim extremists.

 

You really believe this? I don't care for either but I would feel less threatened by the Christian side than the Islamic side 100 times over.

I'm pretty sure this is all plowed ground, the positions they are attributing to Christians would be in line with Nuts at Westboro Baptist Church and their like minded ilk...

Also I think he's referring to people like Ken Hamm and the Creation Museum in Northern Kentucky.

Also I think he's referring to people like Ken Hamm and the Creation Museum in Northern Kentucky.

 

Is Ken Hamm demanding that the story of Noah should be placed in science books? I don't know...

I guess I would be included as a Conservative Christian and I'm betting that a large group of my acquaintances would be included in his definition. Yet in 20 years in the school system I only came across someone questioning the teaching of evolution one time. The parent in the orientation asked what the science teacher's curriculum included about creationism but did not argue when the teacher replied that evolution was accepted science and would be taught and that creationism was for religion classes. Appeared that all the parents, many who I suspect were conservative Christians, supported the teacher's position. I think once again it's the smaller population of loudmouths getting the attention.

 

BTW, don't be surprised if that bearded redneck from backwoods Louisiana is more intelligent than the author of this article.

I also feel those in power who ride these tides are just as dangerous to American ideology as Muslim extremists.

 

Rarely am I speechless, but...this is one of those rare moments. I just don't have the words.

To expand the explanation of my thoughts:

 

1) This country was not founded to be a "Christian" State. It was founded by significant numbers of those fleeing religious persecution in their homelands. Along with other reasons, economic conditions in their homelands, opportunities denied them in their homelands, political and governmental intrusion or persecution...protecting its citizens from the circumstances they fled is the foundation of this Country.

2)As to Christian theocrats as dangerous as Muslim extremists-these theocrats are every bit as dangerous and work by preying on the emotional response to extreme principles to grow their ideological base. Look how many reports are out there by Christian Conservative sites that are skillfully crafted to present issues in such a murkey context that most people take what they read and never look deeper. My distrust of such organizations knows no bounds. But they sure do spread the word and instill the fear in people. Take Sharia law for instance. Everyone's so fearful it's going to be American law. Have you read our Constitution lately?! I fear a domestic extreme Christian take over far more than an outside attempt by any religious faction.

3)As usual, examples in this thread to refute my thoughts are extreme and excellent in their illustration of my point 2 above.

Wow. Just wow.

RM you didn't touch on which Christian Principles are not in line with your Christian upbringing and faith. I think you are smarter than to think those like Westboro speak for more than just an infinitesimal percentage of Christians, so if it's not their hogwash what is your issue?

To expand the explanation of my thoughts:

 

1) This country was not founded to be a "Christian" State. It was founded by significant numbers of those fleeing religious persecution in their homelands. Along with other reasons, economic conditions in their homelands, opportunities denied them in their homelands, political and governmental intrusion or persecution...protecting its citizens from the circumstances they fled is the foundation of this Country.

2)As to Christian theocrats as dangerous as Muslim extremists-these theocrats are every bit as dangerous and work by preying on the emotional response to extreme principles to grow their ideological base. Look how many reports are out there by Christian Conservative sites that are skillfully crafted to present issues in such a murkey context that most people take what they read and never look deeper. My distrust of such organizations knows no bounds. But they sure do spread the word and instill the fear in people. Take Sharia law for instance. Everyone's so fearful it's going to be American law. Have you read our Constitution lately?! I fear a domestic extreme Christian take over far more than an outside attempt by any religious faction.

3)As usual, examples in this thread to refute my thoughts are extreme and excellent in their illustration of my point 2 above.

 

I believe we would all agree that there are some groups none of us would have anything to do with.

The average conservative Christian is not in that category.

 

To add to #3, Colonel Allen West posted on his site a story about the genital mutilation of 58 Muslim girls in Sweden. Far more than the extremes you post in #2 about Christian groups yet to be named.

To expand the explanation of my thoughts:

 

1) This country was not founded to be a "Christian" State. It was founded by significant numbers of those fleeing religious persecution in their homelands. Along with other reasons, economic conditions in their homelands, opportunities denied them in their homelands, political and governmental intrusion or persecution...protecting its citizens from the circumstances they fled is the foundation of this Country.

2)As to Christian theocrats as dangerous as Muslim extremists-these theocrats are every bit as dangerous and work by preying on the emotional response to extreme principles to grow their ideological base. Look how many reports are out there by Christian Conservative sites that are skillfully crafted to present issues in such a murkey context that most people take what they read and never look deeper. My distrust of such organizations knows no bounds. But they sure do spread the word and instill the fear in people. Take Sharia law for instance. Everyone's so fearful it's going to be American law. Have you read our Constitution lately?! I fear a domestic extreme Christian take over far more than an outside attempt by any religious faction.

3)As usual, examples in this thread to refute my thoughts are extreme and excellent in their illustration of my point 2 above.

Muslim extremists are, for lack of a better word, extreme. ISIS thugs in Iraq are mass murdering their enemies, severing their heads, and lining the roads with them. Muslim extremists represent a not so small minority of Muslims in this world, tens of millions of whom would cheer the total destruction of this country.

 

There is no moral equivalence between the millions of Muslims in this world who actively support terrorism and conservative American Christians. None.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.