Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fair or Unfair?

Featured Replies

And while Islamic radicals do pose a threat to the United States, mostly from afar, many conservative Christians pose a threat to this country domestically. These people, empowered by the tea party in the last few years, are doing everything they can to dumb down this country and turn it into some kind of theocracy. Instead of having debates on how to combat climate change, we’re stuck trying to convince tens of millions of people that God didn’t use a tornado to “punish” sinners. Instead of figuring out how to make the United States a world leader in math and science, we’re debating whether or not the story of Noah’s ark should be in the chapter following the mapping of human DNA in science books. Instead of embracing some of the most educated and intelligent among us, millions of Americans would rather listen to a bearded redneck from backwoods Louisiana tell them how the United States needs to be more “godly.” And somehow “being godly” seems to mostly revolve around a strong disdain for homosexuals. It’s absurd. - See more at: We Must Stop Allowing Far Right Conservative Christians to Dumb Down and Radicalize This Country

  • Replies 120
  • Views 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

Will science and religion ever peacefully coexist?

A view of Christianity by a left-wing extremist. Would you rather have radical Muslims running the country and enforcing Sharia Law? While we have some groups like the Westboro Church, the huge majority of Christians would just like to live their lives and take care of their families based on the Christian principles they believe in. Sometimes those principles do come into conflict with those who wish to push their agenda that disparages their faith. There can be balance by allowing all views, even in public schools, to be taught and discussed. There was a time were the views of Christians were strongly in control of most aspects of everyday life, but that started to moderate. Now what has happened is that we now have moved to the opposite extreme, the above article is an example, we need to move to the middle to allow open and honest discussion.

Yeah that's the opinions of Conservative Christians :rolleyes:...if you believe that a majority or even more than a marginal amount feel that way then there isn't any reason to discuss this.

  • Author

I'm more interested in the scientific angles. The piece is obviously written by someone to the left of even me.:D

 

Or is this ground that we've already plowed?

 

I do worry about our performance in science and math, for example. Are the author's points valid, or should we just consider the source and dismiss them out of hand?

I'm more interested in the scientific angles. The piece is obviously written by someone to the left of even me.:D

 

Or is this ground that we've already plowed?

 

I do worry about our performance in science and math, for example. Are the author's points valid, or should we just consider the source and dismiss them out of hand?

 

I'm pretty sure this is all plowed ground, the positions they are attributing to Christians would be in line with Nuts at Westboro Baptist Church and their like minded ilk...

I think it's very valid to question whether the Conservative Right is trying to push us toward Theocracy. I can't go a day without hearing that we are a country founded on Christianity, followed by a list Christian principles that are not in line with my Christian upbringing and faith. I also feel those in power who ride these tides are just as dangerous to American ideology as Muslim extremists.

Which Christian principles that are not in line with your Christian upbringing and faith?

The church I attend is a conservative group, while we have had discussions of creationism vs a big bang, no one one has ever pushed for evolution to be taken out of the curriculum. As far as a lack science, the problem is more with the need to push the curriculum to get ready for testing. At Sharp Middle School science is only taught in the 7th grade, as it is not part of the testing agenda. I believe a part of the problem with math is how it is being taught today and too much reliance on calculators.

 

This article is more about the author's prejudices. Again, there are some like the Westboro group, but not to the point of destroying education. His charges of those opposed to a belief in global-warming leaves out facts like the earth has not warmed over the past 17 years and the rigging of data by the group in England (East Angelica Un.?) How about we look at those who might be able to name the Kardashians, but not name their Senator, Representative or the VP of the US? I'll put money on most who have closer leanings to the Tea Party that they can name their elected officials and give most answers to questions on our Constitution.

I think it's very valid to question whether the Conservative Right is trying to push us toward Theocracy. I can't go a day without hearing that we are a country founded on Christianity, followed by a list Christian principles that are not in line with my Christian upbringing and faith. I also feel those in power who ride these tides are just as dangerous to American ideology as Muslim extremists.

 

I too believe that our rights are based on the idea that our rights are granted to us by God and protected by the Bill of Rights. That does not mean that Christians want a theocracy. It is much better to have our country based on the moral grounds of Christianity than Sharia Law. Talk about taking education in a backward move. Women would not even be allowed to learn to read and write according to groups like the Taliban.

 

Even as extreme as Westboro is in our country, I have not seen them stone anyone. Or keep them from going to school.

Which Christian principles that are not in line with your Christian upbringing and faith?

 

You best me to it...I'd also like to hear the differences, got me wondering.

If anyone thinks Christianity is a "threat"...and would be worse (in any way) than Muslim Sharia Law...you need to do a little research on the latter.

I think it's very valid to question whether the Conservative Right is trying to push us toward Theocracy. I can't go a day without hearing that we are a country founded on Christianity, followed by a list Christian principles that are not in line with my Christian upbringing and faith. I also feel those in power who ride these tides are just as dangerous to American ideology as Muslim extremists.
It is really sad that there are American citizens who believe such things. I watched a video of the Boko Haram bury a 9-year old Christian girl vertically until only her head was visible. Then, a large group of the Muslim men hurled stones at the little girl's head until she was dead. There are millions of Muslim extremists in this world who celebrate the imposition of sharia law and comparing them to Christian conservatives is extremely offensive.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.