Deer Problem

NamecipS

A deer attacked my dog in my back yard tonight.

My dog ran up on the deer and the deer jumped on her a couple times.

What can I do to keep the deer out of my yard? I live in the city so it's not like I can shoot them.

Thoughts?

We have a big problem with them in the city I live in as well. They are eating everything in sight. My wife used to put out lots of flowers and landscape plants but hasn't the past few years because as soon as she planted them they were eaten. One of my idiot neighbors a few doors down has put out salt blocks to attract them! A few times I have counted 8-10 deer in my yard alone.

A deer attacked my dog in my back yard tonight.

My dog ran up on the deer and the deer jumped on her a couple times.

What can I do to keep the deer out of my yard? I live in the city so it's not like I can shoot them.

Thoughts?

I don't know if it is true but I have heard that human hair will keep them away.

I have seen a lot of home remedies to keep deer away from yards, gardens, etc….human hair, deodorant soaps, noise makers, I don't believe that any of them are really effective. Human activity is likely the best. Deer are creatures of habit and will avoid human contact if it consistently intersects with their regular travel patterns.

As for people putting out supplements, food, salt for deer in the cities, I think that some local ordinances prohibit this to limit the interaction. I would check with local code enforcement.

Plant management: the most effective I have heard is a combination of hot sauce and dish soap in a squirt bottle. The dish soap helps the hot sauce stick to the plant and the hot sauce serves as a deterrent. It's a conditioning process and you will lose some plants, but keep re-applying and see if it helps.

You would be correct. Same deer out in the yard this morning. The dog took a wide path around it this time.

If it gets bad, I can come help you out. I promise within 50 yards I can eliminate your deer. Your neighbors might find it fishy when it plops with a gaping hole in it in their yard.

Know a farmer that had a similar problem a few years ago. Was dealing with things the best he knew how. One day the CO stopped by and the conversation went something like this:

CO - You can't keep shooting those deer.

Farmer - Why not?

CO - They dont belong to you.

Farmer - Who do they belong to?

CO - The state

Farmer - Do me a favor then, you tell the state to come get their deer or I am going shoot every one of them.

Know a farmer that had a similar problem a few years ago. Was dealing with things the best he knew how. One day the CO stopped by and the conversation went something like this:

CO - You can't keep shooting those deer.

Farmer - Why not?

CO - They dont belong to you.

Farmer - Who do they belong to?

CO - The state

Farmer - Do me a favor then, you tell the state to come get their deer or I am going shoot every one of them.

Had a Robin Hood image of the CO thinking he's the sherif of Nottingham and the governor must be the king. :)