Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Deer Problem

Featured Replies

A deer attacked my dog in my back yard tonight.

 

My dog ran up on the deer and the deer jumped on her a couple times.

 

What can I do to keep the deer out of my yard? I live in the city so it's not like I can shoot them.

 

Thoughts?

We have a big problem with them in the city I live in as well. They are eating everything in sight. My wife used to put out lots of flowers and landscape plants but hasn't the past few years because as soon as she planted them they were eaten. One of my idiot neighbors a few doors down has put out salt blocks to attract them! A few times I have counted 8-10 deer in my yard alone.

A deer attacked my dog in my back yard tonight.

 

My dog ran up on the deer and the deer jumped on her a couple times.

 

What can I do to keep the deer out of my yard? I live in the city so it's not like I can shoot them.

 

Thoughts?

 

I don't know if it is true but I have heard that human hair will keep them away.

I have seen a lot of home remedies to keep deer away from yards, gardens, etc….human hair, deodorant soaps, noise makers, I don't believe that any of them are really effective. Human activity is likely the best. Deer are creatures of habit and will avoid human contact if it consistently intersects with their regular travel patterns.

 

As for people putting out supplements, food, salt for deer in the cities, I think that some local ordinances prohibit this to limit the interaction. I would check with local code enforcement.

 

Plant management: the most effective I have heard is a combination of hot sauce and dish soap in a squirt bottle. The dish soap helps the hot sauce stick to the plant and the hot sauce serves as a deterrent. It's a conditioning process and you will lose some plants, but keep re-applying and see if it helps.

And I'd venture a guess that your dog will reconsider running up on a deer again.

  • Author
Crossbow.

 

Was thinking a few pellets from the pellet gun might send a message.

  • Author
And I'd venture a guess that your dog will reconsider running up on a deer again.

 

You would be correct. Same deer out in the yard this morning. The dog took a wide path around it this time.

You would be correct. Same deer out in the yard this morning. The dog took a wide path around it this time.

 

If it gets bad, I can come help you out. I promise within 50 yards I can eliminate your deer. Your neighbors might find it fishy when it plops with a gaping hole in it in their yard.

Call me if you need help Doc.

Call me if you need help Doc.
I'd gladly tag team it if you're up for a road trip and our friend can't come up with another solution. Just can't video it.

Silent and very effective…..I like the thinking of the stealth officers on this thread :sneaky:

I will have to get my shingle stand out, but I am always up for a road trip.

Know a farmer that had a similar problem a few years ago. Was dealing with things the best he knew how. One day the CO stopped by and the conversation went something like this:

 

CO - You can't keep shooting those deer.

Farmer - Why not?

CO - They dont belong to you.

Farmer - Who do they belong to?

CO - The state

Farmer - Do me a favor then, you tell the state to come get their deer or I am going shoot every one of them.

Know a farmer that had a similar problem a few years ago. Was dealing with things the best he knew how. One day the CO stopped by and the conversation went something like this:

 

CO - You can't keep shooting those deer.

Farmer - Why not?

CO - They dont belong to you.

Farmer - Who do they belong to?

CO - The state

Farmer - Do me a favor then, you tell the state to come get their deer or I am going shoot every one of them.

 

Had a Robin Hood image of the CO thinking he's the sherif of Nottingham and the governor must be the king. :)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.