Veteran Teacher Reveals the Intimidation She’s Faced for Opposing Common Core

theguru

Though she claims she has been intimidated and bullied for opposing Common Core, a Missouri kindergarten teacher reportedly testified Thursday in support of a bill that would prohibit the controversial state standards in the state’s public schools.

Speaking before the Missouri Senate Education Committee, Susan Kimball said she has been “strongly discouraged from saying anything negative about Common Core by my administration and some school board members.”

The 20-year veteran teacher also recalled a “professional development meeting” where she was allegedly told: “Be careful about what you post on Facebook, or talk about in the public regarding Common Core. Don’t say anything negative. It could affect your job.”Though she admitted that it is difficult for her to continue speaking out amid the intimidation, the kids are worth fighting for, she said.

“It’s so hard for me to speak, because you have no idea what I have been through over the past six weeks because of my stand,” Kimball said. “And the reason I took this stand is because it was right for my kids. They’re my main priority.”

Missouri Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder expressed disgust at the “sinister intimidation” described by the teacher. He urged her to stay in touch with his office regarding her treatment.

Kimball thanked him for the support because she “doesn’t know what I’m going to face when I get home.”

Video: Veteran Teacher Reveals the Shocking Intimidation She?s Faced for Opposing Common Core in Tearful Testimony | Video | TheBlaze.com

Sad as it is, all employees in my district were threatened if negative Facebook posts were made about district decisions regarding snow days.

This type of leadership makes for a very negative culture and a HUGE amount of distrust between schools and central office administration.

It isn't like that everywhere.

Why is there this push on Common Core? It seems very flawed and seems unnecessary - except to justify a federal department of education. Is it the federal take over of education?

And now you have thug like tactics used against anyone opposed? Seems like the un-American way.

From comments from the article:

"Objection to common core that could result in the state not going with it also results in the state not receiving federal funding. The intimidation from administrators should be of no surprise. "

So I guess the answer to the Federal take over of eduction above is 'yes'.

While I certainly don't agree with threats like this, as I feel they are overall detrimental to the school system, is this any different in the private sector? If you speak out negatively against the company you work for, couldn't there be repercussions?

If a company hides business practices from it's shareholders they can get in trouble. When it comes to public education all citizens are the shareholders. All taxpaying citizens should be able to hear viewpoints from both sides of the debate to see if they feel that is the best direction for their local school system.

If a company hides business practices from it's shareholders they can get in trouble. When it comes to public education all citizens are the shareholders. All taxpaying citizens should be able to hear viewpoints from both sides of the debate to see if they feel that is the best direction for their local school system.

That is not the way a lot of schools see it.

That is not the way a lot of schools see it.

Agree with you 100%. Those schools would be 100% incorrect. As much as people who work for the government don't want to hear it they do in fact work for the taxpayers. We have every right to every little detail in how they practice business.

Agree with you 100%. Those schools would be 100% incorrect. As much as people who work for the government don't want to hear it they do in fact work for the taxpayers. We have every right to every little detail in how they practice business.

Great point and while we are at it we need to add coaches to the list. I know a lot of coaches think they are ultra power (and Chuck Smith certainly is) but coaches are nothing more than school employees that have an after school class.

Could I get an example of how schools hide business practices?

I sometimes see this from a district level but individual schools generally make a genuine attempt to be transparent in my experiences as an employee.

Could I get an example of how schools hide business practices?

I sometimes see this from a district level but individual schools generally make a genuine attempt to be transparent in my experiences as an employee.

I mean I could state the obvious and say the example in this thread of silencing disent through threats of job loss.

Great point and while we are at it we need to add coaches to the list. I know a lot of coaches think they are ultra power (and Chuck Smith certainly is) but coaches are nothing more than school employees that have an after school class.

Agreed. I've never been a believer that coaches are infallable. I feel like parents have a right to hold them accountable. You will never see me in the dozens of threads on this site where people take parents to task for actually caring about their kids .

Some things that schools can't disclose to the public that occasionally ticks people off:

- confidentiality regarding students (Asst Principal can't tell a parent how he disciplined any other kid but yours)

- confidentiality regarding personnel issues.

Other stuff people seem to get uptight about regarding school policy is always discussed and approved in SBDM meetings which are open to the public.

I'd love to try to address specific examples... I'd also like to hear specifics regarding coaches as well. Are we talking about procedures? Playing time?

Not everyone does it the same but there are enough coaches on here to get some good discussion going.

This example happened in Missouri.

Anything you have personally experienced? I'm not trying to be contrary, but I do feel the need to defend my profession at times. I also feel I have a realistic perspective (maybe not) because I haven't spent my whole career in education and because I have children in school myself. But I sometimes feel that schools get lumped together because of a few bad apples when the reality is that most schools go above and beyond to do things the right way.