Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Simon Kenton 76 Shelby County 69 (8th)

Featured Replies

Kid looks like a Boy Scout and then just kills you from tip. I'm an enormous fan.

 

I liked what I saw from him down the stretch last season but didn't envision him being the scorer he is now. I heard he's a great kid.

SK played a good game, hate that the stripes made them self too visible in this one. Good effort both ways.

 

33 fouls for Shelby, three of them technical fouls. 27 fouls for SK. Lots of whistles makes for a long game.

From Cincinnati.com

 

Simon Kenton able to hold on, move on

 

 

NEW CASTLE - Trent Steiner admitted that his outlook on Simon Kenton's wild Eighth Region quarterfinal game against Shelby County was "corny."

 

"Pressure can make diamonds or burst pipes," the Pioneers' coach said.

 

It virtually did both for Simon Kenton, which watched a 20-point lead evaporate to one with 46.5 seconds left before Taylor Morrison got free on the left baseline for a layup and the Pioneers sank four free throws in eight tries the rest of the way to end the game with a 6-0 run and hang on for a 76-69 win at Henry County High School.

 

"It was scary," said Morrison, the senior forward who said he tied his career-high with 32 points and set a career-high with seven 3-pointers. "I guess nerves got to us. They were hitting, and we weren't hitting back. We started making stupid passes, which is what they were trying to make us do.

 

"We came in here expecting to win, but we didn't expect to be up by 20. We kind of laid back, so I'm not sure it was good that we were up 20."

 

Simon Kenton reached the regional semifinals for the second straight year after losing in the quarterfinals each of the previous four seasons.

 

"When we were up by eight with 1:29 left, I thought we had it in the freezer," Steiner said. "They're kids. Sometimes, you don't know what they're going to do."

 

Simon Kenton (14-13) overcame shooting just 50 percent on free throws (23 of 46) to earn a berth in Monday's 8 p.m. semifinal. The Pioneers will play the winner of Friday's second game between Oldham County and Henry County.

 

Senior Brenan Kurtz added 14 points and junior Matt Mullins finished with 13 for Simon Kenton.

 

Sophomore Malik Manica scored 23 points to lead Shelby County (16-15), which had won three straight.

 

The two teams combined to shoot 73 free throws in the foul-marred game. Shelby County was 17 of 27 while making just two 3-pointers to Simon Kenton's nine.

 

The Rockets also were whistled for three technical fouls, two on the bench.

 

After James Gordon gave Shelby County a 2-0 lead. Morrison scored five unanswered points to spark a 10-0 run that included two of his three first-half 3-pointers, forcing the Rockets to abandon their zone defense after a timeout.

 

The Pioneers led by nine points twice in the second quarter. Shelby County cut that lead to two points, but Morrison countered with his third 3-pointer to help Simon Kenton stay on top.

 

Simon Kenton opened up a 19-point third-quarter lead by charging out of the locker room with an 18-2 run capped by an unusual two-player, five-point play with 3:25 to go. Grant Vercheak was fouled while Morrison was sinking yet another 3-pointer and connected on both ends of the bonus free throw for a 46-27 lead.

 

Shelby County cut that to nine by the end of the quarter, but the Pioneers seemed to take command by opening the fourth quarter with a 7-0 run for a 54-38 lead.

 

"It was a game of ebbs and flows," Steiner said.

Congrats to the Pioneers!

How did Noah Robinson play ?

SK all the way!
Do you still want Steiner to get the boot? Or is that now on hold until after the regional finals? :)

 

Good luck to Steiner and SK, hope they finally make it to Rupp!

Do you still want Steiner to get the boot? Or is that now on hold until after the regional finals? :)

 

Good luck to Steiner and SK, hope they finally make it to Rupp!

 

I never said that. Your clueless!

I never said that. Your clueless!

 

Hey, leave my "clueless" out of this! ;)

 

YOU'RE forgetful I suppose, or maybe it was your rants about the football coach I was thinking about? Lol!

 

But seriously, I haven't been to a HS game all year, wish I could have seen SK okay a few times though.

Hey, leave my "clueless" out of this! ;)

 

YOU'RE forgetfull I suppose, or maybe it was your rants about the football coach I was thinking about? Lol!

 

But seriously, I haven't been to a HS game all year, wish I could have seen SK okay a few times though.

 

I am friends with Steiner he is a great guy and coach! I hope he stays at SK for a very long time and coaches my son if he plays basketball.

I am friends with Steiner he is a great guy and coach! I hope he stays at SK for a very long time and coaches my son if he plays basketball.

 

Ok I guess I was thinking football.

 

Yes, I really like Steiner and the way he coaches, and as you said a great guy too. I just wish Davis was still there as well.

Ok I guess I was thinking football.

 

Yes, I really like Steiner and the way he coaches, and as you said a great guy too. I just wish Davis was still there as well.

 

Wrong again I hope none of the coaches leave at SK. Things are going in the right direction for every team at SK.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.