Mayfield/Williamsburg Updates

swamprat

You can have 6 classes and restructure the playoffs to create a more competitive final game and playoffs. It's the playoff structure and alignment that is more at fault than the 6 classes.

I would agree. I have always felt the East side in Class A is not as strong as the west.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can have 6 classes and restructure the playoffs to create a more competitive final game and playoffs. It's the playoff structure and alignment that is more at fault than the 6 classes.

Start a thread on your thoughts. I would be interested in hearing what you are thinking and discuss it.

Williamsburg played tough in the 2nd qtr... A big difference for this game as well is the fact these Mayfield kids have been here and done that and the State finals are expected. This is the biggest game in Williamsburg history and along with town and County of Whitley. I am sure there were some extra nerves on that sideline.

From what I saw they got "QuickSand." I really didn't see Williamsburg as playing tougher (though kudos to the kids for not quitting), but Mayfield stopped "airing" it out and could have gone for it on 4th and short a few times but decided against it.

Mayfield appeared to me as if they took their foot off the gas in the 2nd Quarter.

W'Burg has had there moments and made a few plays, but, they can't put enough of them together. Sizemore just doesn't have enough time back there to consistently move the chains and the Cardinal DBs are all over the WRs making it tough, but, the big story is the DL dominatind the Jackets OL.

Yeah, well maybe I'm of a different mindset, but personally I'd rather not get there, than lose by 70 and have folks say we didn't deserve to be there in the first place.

There was a lot of sarcasm in my response! I'm with you!

I would agree. I have always felt the East side in Class A is not as strong as the west.

By and large I think you are right...but in that same breathe the only 1A team to beat Mayfield the past few years came from that East Side.

More than anything this has been about a Mayfield Program who on the whole has transcended their competition.

Williamsburg is a better team than what they showed in the 1st qtr, obviously not in Mayfield's class, but would play anyone else in 1A very competitively on most nights. They had a running clock on Pike Central in the first half this year, and Pike Central gave Belfry a very good game. They were just totally overwhelmed at the start of this one.

1st half stats:

Rushing Yards - W'Burg 20 carries x 55 yds ..... Mfld 12 carries x 130 yds

Passing Yards - W'Burg 7 of 20 for 93 yds ..... Mfld 10 of 14 for 182 yds

Total Yards - W'Burg 148 yds ..... Mfld ..... 312 yds

1st Downs - W'Burg 9 ..... Mfld 9

Time of Poss - W'Burg 15:25 ..... Mfld 8:35