56th District Tournament Predictions

With just a handfull of games seperating the four teams from tournament play in Beattyville - how do you feel the tournament will go as of now?

Game One: Lee County vs. Owsley County: Should be a walk over game for Lee County in all likelyhood. The homecrowd, not to mention the fact that Lee County is a much better team leads to doubt in this one. Tyler Rich and co role into the finals.

Game Two: Estill County vs. Powell: This could be an exciting game as the game in Irvine was a classic in this growing feud. Powell led by a significant margin only to see Estill rush back and force an overtime where they pulled out a win. Powell has much to prove in this one - but I dont think they have enough firepower to match Estill's experienced scorers Dixon, Berryman, and Reese in a big game situation.

Finals: Lee County vs. Estill: I am going to venture a guess that this will be the fourth matchup of five between these two teams, as I feel they are tops in the 14th Region. Lee County has the advantages of the home court and no doubt confidence coming off an easy win of Owsley (this of course doesnt have to be true.) Estill has the advantage of revenge as they will try to prove that they are capable of being the team to knock off Lee County. Estill missed a three at the end of regulation to send the first game into overtime and let a lead get away the last time they were in Beatyville - so they will be pumped up. My final prediction is, sorry hometown Bobcats, Estill County. I know this is going to be on Lee's court, but Estill will be ready to finally pick up that much needed win. If it makes you feel better, I think these two teams will meet again in the finals in Hindman with Lee County getting the revenge.

Final Predictions. Lee over Owsley by 20 or more (78-54). Estill over Powell in a hard fought game (64-55). Estill upsetting Lee in the finals. (71-66)

Now what are your thoughts?

I Like Lee Co. over Powell in the championship, I just have gut feeling powell upsets estill, I have no facts to base this prediction on though.

Well...Powell County will really come wanting this one for obvious reasons. Just as Estill wants a win over Lee - Powell will want one over Estill as they havent beaten them. And of course, it's a lose and go home game as well.

Estill will probably be looking forward to that game with Lee County which could trip them up if Powell County capitalizes.

I still take Estill as they are just too well coached for this to happen.

Well obviously Lee County is the favorite. They are 6-0 in regular season district play (not to mention they beat Estill in a non district game) and they are playing on their home court.

Being the favorite doesnt mean they'll win. If Estill Co. gets past Powell, I really think they stand a chance of knocking off Lee County. Other than that, I dont think Powell could squeek by Estill and then beat Lee at home.

Powell over Estill in an upset.

Lee over Owsley by 10 or 12 points.

Lee over Powell by 5 or 6 points.

I know it's not too smart to compare scores, but our team has played both Estill and Powell twice this year. Estill beat us by 38 and 24. We beat Powell by 8 and lost to them by 12. I just don't see Powell matching up with Estill, particuarly if Berryman, Christopher and company are hitting the long shot like they did against us. And how can the Pirates contain the 6'4 Dixon, who can kill you from outside or post up and do it in the paint. I realize Powell played them close in Irvine earlier in the year, but I just don't see this district game being very close. Estill is improving every game, and I hear they are over their flu bug and some of the injuries that have hampered them all year.

I know it's not too smart to compare scores, but our team has played both Estill and Powell twice this year. Estill beat us by 38 and 24. We beat Powell by 8 and lost to them by 12. I just don't see Powell matching up with Estill, particuarly if Berryman, Christopher and company are hitting the long shot like they did against us. And how can the Pirates contain the 6'4 Dixon, who can kill you from outside or post up and do it in the paint. I realize Powell played them close in Irvine earlier in the year, but I just don't see this district game being very close. Estill is improving every game, and I hear they are over their flu bug and some of the injuries that have hampered them all year.

Very good post, Professor, and I agree 100 percent. From what I've seen of Estill the last few times I seen them play they are playing solid defense and at times have showed that they can really light it up from anywhere on the court. Leader Clinton Dixon had a bad night against Madison Southern but I heard a local fan say that he may have irritated his back in the game. I'm not sure how many Berryman had but he spotted up for a couple threes from WAY out, and Reese and Christopher made a lot of good plays including a long three from Reese.

The last I seen of Powell was actually the Estill game - and I havent been able to catch a game in Stanton as of late - so I cant say fullheartedly that I know Estill is doing better - but over the course of the year Estill has had their number and it will continue at the tournament.

I of course want my Bobcats to win it all and think they can, but I don't think an upset is out of the question in any of the first two games. I think writing off Owsley, regardless of whether Neeley returns or not (don't know any thing about the situation, just not ready to write off a really great ball player and an all around good kid) would be a mistake. I think Estill will beat Powell, and if Lee beats Owsley, then the Estill/Lee game will be a great one. Berryman and Christopher compliment Dixon well and make Estill a powerful force to be reckoned with. I'll say this Each and Every game should be exciting. That's about as much as I'm willing to predict. :D:D

I of course want my Bobcats to win it all and think they can, but I don't think an upset is out of the question in any of the first two games. I think writing off Owsley, regardless of whether Neeley returns or not (don't know any thing about the situation, just not ready to write off a really great ball player and an all around good kid) would be a mistake. I think Estill will beat Powell, and if Lee beats Owsley, then the Estill/Lee game will be a great one. Berryman and Christopher compliment Dixon well and make Estill a powerful force to be reckoned with. I'll say this Each and Every game should be exciting. That's about as much as I'm willing to predict. :D:D

Amen! And if and when these two great teams lock up March 3 - I will once again make my way to Beattyville for another great game. Cant wait. :walk: :ylsuper:

Several games for 56th district teams tonight.

Lee will travel to Menifee, Estill will travel to Breathitt, Owsley has Knott at home, and Powell has PCC in Stanton.

Should be four interesting games.

Menifee is 4-17 this season but have played well against good teams. They opened the season with a 1 point loss to Estill before getting beat twice by Montgomery by 10 or less both times, blew out Wolfe County by nearly 40, and lost to the same Bath County team that went into the Barn and beat Montgomery county a week or two later. Menifee could very well make an enjoyable game to watch in Beatyville but I wouldnt venture to say they may knock off the Bobcats.

The Engineers of Estill County make their way to Breathit County. Breathitt currently shows a record of 3-20. However, Breathitt's most recent win, which came back on the 24th of January was a 26 point whopping of the same Menifee county team that fail to the Engineers by one back in November. Breathitt also managed to go into Leslie County and come away with a win - something that only they and North Laurel have managed to. This Leslie county team has managed to beat both Knott County Central and Buckhorn and fell just short of Hazard in a 2 point game @ Hazard. Estill is 4-3 when playing teams on their away court with their only three losses coming to Montgomery County in the Barn, a 2 point heartbreaker at Johnson Central, and they let a lead get away in Lee County before falling by 7 in Beatyville. Estill should take this one and prove that they are one of the best two teams in the 14th.

Owsley will probably have the toughest night among the 56th district teams as they host Knott in Booneville. Owsley, who has only managed two wins at home this season and have not won in their last 5 games. However, the last game the Owls did win was a shocking upset of June Buchanan in the All A Classic. JBS is 18-4 overall this season and has wins over Montgomery County, Perry County Central, and Cordia at home. Their only losses have come to such teams as Henry Clay, Letcher County, and yes - the Owls. On the other side of the coin, Knott County is coming off three big wins sense losing to PCC in Perry County. Knott has sense weathered Breathitt County for a 14 point win in Overtime, beat Letcher County by a handful, and then took PCC to overtime at home before beating them by 4 in a great game. This game could very well be a good one if Owsley comes ready to play. If the Owls pick up the win tonight it could very well give them the confidence to push hard at districts and perhaps give Lee County a game. The problem is - the Owels have had a very hard time picking up wins all season long. I am going to take Knott by a very short margin in this one.

Finally, the Pirates of Powell County invite PCC to Stanton tonight in what is sure to be a very important game. Powell has struggled all year long with closing out big games. They had a big lead on Estill before EC rushed back to force an overtime where the pirates eventually lost by 5. They fell just short of Lee County in Stanton and had the same result with Clay County losing by 5 and 3 respectivelly. PCC is 8-3 against other 14th region teams while Powell is just 1-7 with their only region win coming over Owsley County. The Pirate's regional record outside of the district is 0-2 with those two losses coming from Buckhorn and Jackson City. Perry County has already defeated Buckhorn once and havent played Jackson City but have defeated Lee County who knocked off Jackson City at EKU. PCC should have no trouble with Powell and I take them by around 14 or 15.

These four games could be very interesting and if a couple of them go one way or another - could really add a little flavor to the pending games on March 1 and 3 in Beatyville.