Best Boys High School Basketball Coaches

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cooper's coach, Sullivan, is a guy to watch out for in the future. Also Ruthsatz a CCH could be a great one; he seems to have a true passion for the game and his kids and CCH love playing for him, he has a bunch of talent coming through with the incoming frosh, the kids in eighth and seventh grade. Snapp of Newport is a good coach, who demands effort and toughness from his players. He has, in my opinion, done more with less. Also, his name slips my mind, but I really like the what the coach from Mercer County is doing. There are many great coaches around the state, who often dont get the publicity they deserve. Its hard to win big when a team like Ballard is absolutely loaded and other Louisville schools dominate the state tournament year in and out. Also its hard to make it out of the regional tournament, because nowadays kids always know a few of the opposing players and it makes it that much tougher because of personal rivalries.

Tough to narrow it to five, but here's who I've got:

Billy Hicks - Scott County

Chris Renner - Ballard

Dave Henley - Eastern

Jason Booher - Holmes

Wayne Breeden - Tates Creek

Thought that the Gary Forrest (used to coach Oldham County) was a good one too, but I don't know if he's still around.

Another guy who I thought didn't get the credit he should have was Rodney Rowe (Shelby Valley's former coach).

Ask me again in a year or two and Daniel Brown (Henry Clay) may be in the top five. I know he's not necessarily 'young', but I think he's got his best years ahead of him. Same thing goes for Scott Hundley (Woodford County).

I think the criteria for the list changes if you are choosing them for a one-and-done tournament that has to be played today versus your favorite program hiring them.

For example, consider that someone like Hicks or Breeden may not be in coaching as many years from now as Hundley or Brown.