July 14, 201313 yr Okay. Has nothing to do with whether or not he was guilty of murder.I didn't say that it did. Just that it had everything to do with a 17 year old kid being dead.
July 14, 201313 yr I did not see much of the trial, only the nightly update of the day's "highlights." Could someone that watched explain what evidence supported Zimmerman's statement that he was returning to his vehicle when he was attacked by Martin?
July 14, 201313 yr I was in a restaurant the other day, sitting with family. A black man and his wife walked in our area to sit at a table near us. As they walked in I looked at him and our eyes met briefly. From that brief look, I felt in his mind that perhaps the thought he had is whether I was judging him. I wasn't, but he perhaps thought, is that white guy judging me, wondering why I am here? Thoughts like that probably happen for black people every day ... are they being "profiled", not just by police but by many people they come in contact with as they go to the store, go to work, go out to eat. Maybe it was all in my mind, but it bothered me several times during that meal as I considered that perhaps that thought was there for him. I wish black people in America had no cause for thoughts like that, but they do. These times are drastically better than they were in the past, but we still have a ways to go.
July 14, 201313 yr Nobody won in this case. I truly feel bad for the parents and family of Trayvon Martin because they lost their child. No parent should ever have to bury their child. The verdict of not guilty of 2nd degree murder was correct based upon the evidence. Zimmerman was not found innocent in the death of Trayvon, he was found not guilty because he was found by the jury to be defending himself. There is a major difference between the two. Zimmerman should have stayed in his vehicle. He definitely racially profiled Trayvon Martin. I do not understand why people and the media insist on calling Zimmerman a 'white hispanic'? If Zimmerman had a white mom and black dad, would people label him a 'white black' man? Had Trayvon Martin had a white mom and a black dad, would the headline have said, "a 'white hispanic' man shot an unarmed 'white black' teenager?" Semantics of calling Zimmerman a 'white hispanic' is what has driven this into a race issue. Looking at Zimmerman, he is very clearly a hispanic man. Had the media called Zimmerman a hispanic man from the start, would their have been the racial division and outrage? I do not think so. This case became a race issue because it was politically and financially (the media) advantageous to make this about race. I can't speak to why the media might call Zimmerman a white Hispanic, but I can speak to it personally. Multi-racial children often feel torn between cultures. My mother was of Scottish-German ancestory and my father is Hispanic. If I call myself "white" I feel as though I am ignoring my father's ancestory. If I call myself "Hispanic" I feel as though I am ignoring my mother's. I'll just be glad when the day comes that there's no need to racially categorize ourselves and others. (I can dream, right?)
July 14, 201313 yr Author Details of the black woman who got 20 years in prison for shooting warnings shots to scare off her abusive husband. 20 years. This is why the black community doesn't see things the same way as many of us. Fla. mom gets 20 years for firing warning shots - CBS News This article from Jacksonville Newspaper tells the other side of this story... Marissa Alexander's husband says it was her violent nature that led to shooting | jacksonville.com Does not appear to be remotely similar to Zimmerman case.
July 14, 201313 yr I was in a restaurant the other day, sitting with family. A black man and his wife walked in our area to sit at a table near us. As they walked in I looked at him and our eyes met briefly. From that brief look, I felt in his mind that perhaps the thought he had is whether I was judging him. I wasn't, but he perhaps thought, is that white guy judging me, wondering why I am here? Thoughts like that probably happen for black people every day ... are they are being "profiled", not just by police but by many people they come in contact with as they go to the store, go to work, go out to eat. Maybe it was all in my mind, but it bothered me several times during that meal as I considered that perhaps that thought was there for him. I wish black people in America had no cause for thoughts like that, but they do. These times are drastically better than they were in the past, but we still have a ways to go. All I can say is it is foolish to believe that one can't see if someone is brown, black or white. To try to make that go away is silly. Let me put it in a more simplistic statement...I also notice if a dog is white, black or brown, or multi colored. Doesn't mean I am judging the dog, it just means I am taking a look at it's size, color, demeanor, etc. I suppose everybody can have their own thoughts or anger or guilt or what have you from there. Part of the racial issue is when people pretend there is no difference. We are all human beings, but the differences are like spices, it is what gives flavor to the food.
July 14, 201313 yr I did not see much of the trial, only the nightly update of the day's "highlights." Could someone that watched explain what evidence supported Zimmerman's statement that he was returning to his vehicle when he was attacked by Martin? I didn't think Zimmerman took the stand. When was that statement presented in the courtroom to the jury? What evidence did the prosecution present to contradict this statement?
July 14, 201313 yr I can't speak to why the media might call Zimmerman a white Hispanic, but I can speak to it personally. Multi-racial children often feel torn between cultures. My mother was of Scottish-German ancestory and my father is Hispanic. If I call myself "white" I feel as though I am ignoring my father's ancestory. If I call myself "Hispanic" I feel as though I am ignoring my mother's. I'll just be glad when the day comes that there's no need to racially categorize ourselves and others. (I can dream, right?) Personally, them calling him a white-Hispanic embodies everything the media tried and attempted to make the case about. From the get go. Our media was pathetic.
July 14, 201313 yr He didn't say, they always get away and "coon"? No. He said something along the lines of they (burglars and vandals) always get away but the "coon" statement was a media fabrication.
July 14, 201313 yr Author [ATTACH=CONFIG]40412[/ATTACH] No matter how you slice it. How are all the facts being twisted though? Yes they are being twisted...She had been texting her Ex-Husband and current husband found out. She started hitting him and when he mentioned that the child they just had was probably her Ex's she said I got something for you left and returned shooting into the room where her husband and his two sons were. Took a jury 12 minutes to convict her. This is not anywhere the same as the Zimmerman/Martin case. Here is a link from the LOCAL newspaper not the nation media that glosses over the facts of the case... Marissa Alexander's husband says it was her violent nature that led to shooting | jacksonville.com
July 14, 201313 yr Clyde do you honestly believe that the 6 women on the jury that heard everything in the trial, not just what Sean Hannity and Rachel Maddow said, would deliberate for that long, and find GZ not guilty to screw the family of Travon Martin? I mean at some point you have to accept the reality. This case was wrongfully prosecuted as they went for too high a charge with the evidence that was on hand. Where did I insinuate that the jury tried to screw the TM family? I've already said repeatedly that it appears the jury got it right.
July 14, 201313 yr This article from Jacksonville Newspaper tells the other side of this story... Marissa Alexander's husband says it was her violent nature that led to shooting | jacksonville.com Does not appear to be remotely similar to Zimmerman case. Thanks. 3 sides to every story, I guess.
July 14, 201313 yr I didn't say that it did. Just that it had everything to do with a 17 year old kid being dead. That's certainly over looking all other evidence and statements and eye witness accounts, but okay.
July 14, 201313 yr I did not see much of the trial' date=' only the nightly update of the day's "highlights." Could someone that watched explain what evidence supported Zimmerman's statement that he was returning to his vehicle when he was attacked by Martin?[/quote'] I believe a witness said they saw him walking back to his car but I could be wrong. I've only been catching highlights as well.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.