July 14, 201313 yr Oh God, is it high school football season yet? That Highlands-Trinity scrimmage could be interesting...
July 14, 201313 yr Thanks. 3 sides to every story, I guess. Which is why people shouldn't be making comparisons to the stories without knowing all of the details.
July 14, 201313 yr I'm sure you got my reason for the reference but this does give me a chance to clear up any who might have the above thought. In no way was I comparing the pure racism shown in the Till or Evers killings to Trayvon's killing. My purpose in mentioning those two was to show potential perspectives of many in the black community. I'm more so talking about those in the media. MSNBC had multiple people reference them last night and this morning. Those were true hate crimes by some racist loons. Zimmerman may have profiled, but I never took from this he was a raging bigot. The part I'm confused about is why they are pressing forward with the hate crime charges? Martin's parents made it clear that all they wanted for their child was charges pressed and for Zimmerman to be tried in court without race being a factor. And that was accomplished. I am just praying for their sake they are not letting some of these people take advantage of them and the situation to exploit their child even more than he already has been. Had Zimmerman had some kind of racial troubles in the past or yelling racial expletives on the 911 call I would say go for it, but do not press forward at their expense simply because the verdict they wanted was not reached.
July 14, 201313 yr How exactly would the back of his head get cut on grass? Went back and found more info on the claim. GZ said that he was having his head bashed on the concrete. He said he was able to then get his body on the grass. Critics of the prosecution said that the body was found 20 to 25 feet away from concrete which , in their mind, said that his hand was no longer being bashed on the concrete , thus, was his life being threatened AT THE POINT he made the decision to shoot Trayvon. I would agree that that line of questioning COULD have an impact on the jury.
July 14, 201313 yr Texas A&M did a study on the SYG results using different scenarios. Stand Your Ground Laws and Racial Disparities % of cases where the jury found the SYG rule was applicable ie the shooting was justified: white shooter / white victim 11% justified black shooter/black victim 8% white shooter/black victim 34% justified black shooter/white victim only 3% justified Means nothing to this particular case. It just supports the uneasiness of the black community when it comes to equal justice.
July 14, 201313 yr That's certainly over looking all other evidence and statements and eye witness accounts, but okay. Perhaps my wording was poor. I am not saying that there weren't multiple instances along the way that someone could have made a different decision that would have lead to a different outcome. This one just seems poignant to me.
July 14, 201313 yr Texas A&M did a study on the SYG results using different scenarios. Stand Your Ground Laws and Racial Disparities % of cases where the jury found the SYG rule was applicable ie the shooting was justified: white shooter / white victim 11% justified black shooter/black victim 8% white shooter/black victim 34% justified black shooter/white victim only 3% justified Means nothing to this particular case. It just supports the uneasiness of the black community when it comes to equal justice. Is there any data for Hispanic Shooter/Black Victim, since that is what the discussion is about.
July 14, 201313 yr Is there any data for Hispanic Shooter/Black Victim, since that is what the discussion is about.Zimmerman's father is white. His mother is Hispanic. That makes him both Hispanic and white.
July 14, 201313 yr And once again white man misses the point. I'm going on my cruise now. See you in a week. Actually I think you may have missed my point. Why wasn't the race card shown in the case you are talking about? Why isn't Al Sharpton calling for civil rights infringements on the lady who was assaulted? Why? I know the answer, it's because she isn't black and he can't toss out the "Woe is me, The black community got the raw end again" Have fun on the cruise, I just got back from my vacation and am ready to go back again lol
July 14, 201313 yr Details of the black woman who got 20 years in prison for shooting warnings shots to scare off her abusive husband. 20 years. This is why the black community doesn't see things the same way as many of us. Fla. mom gets 20 years for firing warning shots - CBS News 2 wrongs don't make a right. She shouldn't have to spend a day in jail, that said, you can't go and use an innocent man as an example just to please a group of people. I'm sure white people have also gotten unworthy sentences.
July 14, 201313 yr Author 2 wrongs don't make a right. She shouldn't have to spend a day in jail, that said, you can't go and use an innocent man as an example just to please a group of people. I'm sure white people have also gotten unworthy sentences. No she should have spent a lot of time in jail, read the thread for article that I posted in reply to this...Her husbands story is quite a bit different...took jury 12 minutes to convict her.
July 14, 201313 yr Zimmerman's father is white. His mother is Hispanic. That makes him both Hispanic and white. He considers himself Hispanic. That's why I am interested in that data.
July 14, 201313 yr A few thoughts... so, there is a series of burglaries in a neighborhood from young black men; GZ sees a young black man and profiles and calls the police. Profiling? You bet. GZ approaches TM, and takes the law into his own hands to investigate. Bad? You bet, from a number of reasons. They end their encounter. At this point, it should have been the end of a situation where GZ was certainly wrong. Then, TM decides that he's going to escalate things and comes back to confront GZ. That, in my view, is just as wrong as GZ's vigilantism in the first place. I take issue with any statements that TM was "innocent" because his coming back takes away any argument that he is innocent. And, TM was just as racist, with statements about GZ being a "creepy cracker." Which, I suspect, had something to do with TM coming back. The racist feelings were two-sided. The jury concludes (and there is dispute about what happened), but giving GZ the benefit of the doubt (since it is apparently the version the jury believed), that TM took the matter physical, and assaulted GZ, GZ is on the ground getting beaten, GZ is heard in the background of the phone calling for help, GZ fears for his life or fears like he's going to be severely injured, shoots TM, killing him. I am not going to condone the profiling because it cannot be condoned. I am not going to condone GZ's vigilantism, because it can't be condoned. But I'm not going to condone TM's coming back to a situation that was wrong to begin with, because it was over and done with and TM had no more business going back than GZ did with starting it, because that can't be condoned. But GZ didn't go out that day and decide to shoot TM because he was black. It is tragic that there was profiling. It is tragic that the event occurred -- it is tragic that a teenager lost his life. I know that we all make mistakes at 17, 18, or 19, without a real world view of the bigger picture. GZ's life is over -- he will never be able to live without fearing that someone will be out to kill him. It is tragic that the justice department decided that they were going to cause people to go down there and stir the pot and generate protests, making a legal issue into a very political event. I see everyone as victims in all of this. Couldn't agree more. Profiling? Yes, but not profiling black people, he was profiling anyone that fit the description of those who have been burglarizing the area. I would profile too if my neighborhood was being burglarized by young teenagers wearing hoodies, I don't care if they were black, white, yellow or green. People want to get upset and say it was wrong to profile, but guess what? Everyone does. When you are having a meeting with a business partner you haven't met yet and are waiting for them to arrive in a restaraunt for a business meeting, are you profiling peoople who walk in to the establishment trying to pick out the person you are meeting? you bet you are. GZ shouldn't have shot TM, but in the end, what they tried to charge him with the state couldn't prove, move on.
July 14, 201313 yr What gets me when they say this is about race is the fact that the only racial slur that was ever said in this case was a racial slur made by TM, yet it's GZ who is apparently the racist. that is why many people get so very tired of the al Sharpton's and MSNBC's of the world always making crap up and expecting everyone to jump to their side. MSNBC, CNN and many other media outlets as well as the President of the United States had GZ already condemned adn guilty long before any facts of the case came out. They tried him long ago, yet not one of them have ever apologized, and why? Because it would ruin their agenda.
July 14, 201313 yr Texas A&M did a study on the SYG results using different scenarios. Stand Your Ground Laws and Racial Disparities % of cases where the jury found the SYG rule was applicable ie the shooting was justified: white shooter / white victim 11% justified black shooter/black victim 8% white shooter/black victim 34% justified black shooter/white victim only 3% justified Means nothing to this particular case. It just supports the uneasiness of the black community when it comes to equal justice. Those numbers are telling, IMHO.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.