July 14, 201313 yr He considers himself Hispanic. That's why I am interested in that data.I missed that. When did he say this?
July 14, 201313 yr Couldn't agree more. Profiling? Yes, but not profiling black people, he was profiling anyone that fit the description of those who have been burglarizing the area. . That's exactly what we've all been saying. He was profiling black males.
July 14, 201313 yr I missed that. When did he say this? Here is a quote from his father. George Zimmerman's father on Trayvon Martin: My son is not racist, did not confront Trayvon Martin - Orlando Sentinel On a side note...I have heard Zimmerman is a White-Hispanic American because his mother is from peru and his father is white, but I have never heard Barack Obama called a White-Black American because his mother is white and his father is from Kenya.
July 14, 201313 yr Author Texas A&M did a study on the SYG results using different scenarios. Stand Your Ground Laws and Racial Disparities % of cases where the jury found the SYG rule was applicable ie the shooting was justified: white shooter / white victim 11% justified black shooter/black victim 8% white shooter/black victim 34% justified black shooter/white victim only 3% justified Means nothing to this particular case. It just supports the uneasiness of the black community when it comes to equal justice. That is interesting. Stats of serious crime by racial demographic are also interesting.
July 14, 201313 yr Here is a quote from his father. George Zimmerman's father on Trayvon Martin: My son is not racist, did not confront Trayvon Martin - Orlando Sentinel On a side note...I have heard Zimmerman is a White-Hispanic American because his mother is from peru and his father is white, but I have never heard Barack Obama called a White-Black American because his mother is white and his father is from Kenya. I missed the part that was in answer to my question. When did Zimmerman state that he was Hispanic and not white?
July 14, 201313 yr Author I missed the part that was in answer to my question. When did Zimmerman state that he was Hispanic and not white? When did he state that he was white? I dunno? Does the President have to state that he is black? The President has a black father and a white mother, however his appearance has taken on more traits from his father. No one considers the President to be white. Zimmerman has a white father and a Peruvian mother, his appearance seems to have taken on more traits from his mother. Why does Zimmerman have to declare that he is Hispanic when he clearly is in appearance and by at least half by birth right.
July 14, 201313 yr That's exactly what we've all been saying. He was profiling black males. Then where is the uproar from the black community toward the black youths that have been burglarizing the area? If you want to point fingers at GZ for "profiling" maaybe the fingers should be pointed to those that caused the profilling in the first place, afterall if it weren't for them then I would have a strong feeling Trayvan would still be alive.
July 14, 201313 yr I missed the part that was in answer to my question. When did Zimmerman state that he was Hispanic and not white? The quote from his father, plus the fact that when he registered to vote he checked the Hispanic box. George Zimmerman's father on Trayvon Martin: My son is not racist, did not confront Trayvon Martin - Orlando Sentinel
July 15, 201313 yr The quote from his father, plus the fact that when he registered to vote he checked the Hispanic box. George Zimmerman's father on Trayvon Martin: My son is not racist, did not confront Trayvon Martin - Orlando Sentinel I am not asking about what his father said. You said that Zimmerman considered himself white. When did he say this? Voter's registration? You can only check one box for ethnicity and there is no "multi-racial" option.
July 15, 201313 yr You said that Zimmerman considered himself white. When did he say this? Voter's registration? You can only check one box for ethnicity and there is no "multi-racial" option. No I said he considered himself Hispanic and you said it yourself, there isn't a multi racial option and between white and Hispanic, he chose Hispanic. The media is blowing this up as a White/Black issue. The real issue is that a young man (I don't consider a 17 year old a child) is dead.
July 15, 201313 yr Then where is the uproar from the black community toward the black youths that have been burglarizing the area? If you want to point fingers at GZ for "profiling" maaybe the fingers should be pointed to those that caused the profilling in the first place, afterall if it weren't for them then I would have a strong feeling Trayvan would still be alive. GZ really had no basis to call the police. His reasoning was nebulous. That is what started this whole situation. No basis existed.
July 15, 201313 yr Unless you are black you will never understand. But regardless, in your mind you truly believe Zimmerman isn't guilty of anything? The case may not be as cut and dry as I "made it" but morally it is. At the end of the day if Zimmerman truly felt threatened he could have drove off and waited for the police but instead he wanted to be a vigilante and now an innocent child no longer walks the earth. A question for you: if the roles were absolutely reversed, honestly how would you feel and would the black shooter be arrested? And unless you are George Zimmerman ... you will never understand if he was truly profiling Trayvon Martin or if he truly wanted to kill Trayvon Martin ... on and on and on. See how that works? The part that I love ... is where this is a race issue .... is it still truly a race issue when two minorities are involved? I think the problem that everyone seems to forget here ... is that we are all human beings. I am not a "white" American ... TM wasn't a "black" or "African" American. We are all freaking human beings ... and until we start treating each other as equals .. without the constant qualification of race to appease each others feelings ... it won't stop. If that offends anyone ... I am not sorry. I see people as human beings ... everyone gets a first and second chance ... after that ... you need to work a little harder for it. You are right ... I am not black ... (which in your book means that I will never understand). But ... I am a human being ... who has been treated very well in life ... and at the same time ... I have been treated very poorly. Are you really that arrogant to think that black people are the only people who are treated unfairly because of the color of their skin? Seriously ... the arrogance of that statement is amazing. People do mean, horrible nasty things to each other every single day .. and I agree ... there are morons on all sides who try to hurt people because of their race .... but guess what ... most of the people who kill/rape/steal ... are flawed human beings ... whether by circumstance or an inability to calculate/understand the feelings of others. And until you realize that everyone needs to do a better job of being better people ... there will never be improvement. So ... if you meet me on the street ... just know ... I am going to like you or not like you based on our interaction ... from the looks of your posts ... your comments don't really sound like you would handle things in a similar way. If that is the truth (and you are the only one who can say whether it is ... or it isn't) then ... don't you come off being just as bad as you claim Zimmerman is? I hope, someday, we will have a chance to someday make up our own minds about each other (and yes ... I know I wasn't involved in your posts ... but it spoke pretty loud to me).
July 15, 201313 yr No I said he considered himself Hispanic and you said it yourself, there isn't a multi racial option and between white and Hispanic, he chose Hispanic. The media is blowing this up as a White/Black issue. The real issue is that a young man (I don't consider a 17 year old a child) is dead. I misspoke. How do you know that he considers himself Hispanic? Just from what box he checked on a voting application? I'll assume (and pardon me if I am wrong) that you've never had to worry about what box to check on an application. Next time you fill an application out of any type that you have to give ethnicity, look at the "Caucasian" or "white" option. Usually it says "non-Hispanic" afterwards. I never feel like I am being truthful on any application, unless I can check both "Caucasian" and "Hispanic." Regardless of which one I check (and I alternate, if I am forced to choose only one), I feel like I am letting one side of my family down.
July 15, 201313 yr Expect this case to be the bridge for Harry Reid and President Obama to bring up gun legislation again. Less than a month no doubt.
July 15, 201313 yr I misspoke. How do you know that he considers himself Hispanic? Just from what box he checked on a voting application? I'll assume (and pardon me if I am wrong) that you've never had to worry about what box to check on an application. Next time you fill an application out of any type that you have to give ethnicity, look at the "Caucasian" or "white" option. Usually it says "non-Hispanic" afterwards. I never feel like I am being truthful on any application, unless I can check both "Caucasian" and "Hispanic." Regardless of which one I check (and I alternate, if I am forced to choose only one), I feel like I am letting one side of my family down. I will either choose white or not specified (My Irish is more evident than my Cherokee). I truly feel like the media wants this to be black vs. white. The people that aren't satisfied should be upset with the law not the verdict.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.