July 15, 201313 yr For those unaware, be aware that the federal govt can pursue federal criminal charges against GZ if it decides to. It is not double jeopardy. Federal criminal system is completely separate from state criminal system. I was not aware of that. While I am sure you are correct that two different criminal systems can pursue charges for the same crime, it still has the "feel" of double jeopardy if that makes any sense.
July 15, 201313 yr Is profiling not considered a violation of one's civil rights? I don't think it is. If a beat up old pick up truck driven by a unshaven, scraggly looking white man had been seen in my neighborhood at the time of multiple burglaries in the past and I saw a beat up pick up truck driving slowly down my street at 3 in the morning being driven by an unshaven, scraggly looking white man (my yardlight provided enough light for me to make out what the driver looked like), I'm going to call the police. Under those circumstances, I would have engaged in profiling as I understand the concept. If I don't think the police will get there soon and before the beat up pick up truck gets away, I may even jump in my vehicle, follow the beat up pick up truck and help guide the police to the location of the beat up pick up truck. Since I keep a gun in my vehicle, if the driver of the beat up pick up truck stops and comes back to me and asks me why I am following him and he pulls a gun on me after I told him I'm following him until the police get there, I'm pulling the trigger. If it turns out that the 69 year old driver of the beat up pick up truck was doing nothing other than cruising the neighborhood to see if anyone had put out something worth garbage picking, I wouldn't have considered my actions as acting like a wannabe cop or some crazed person and I wouldn't have consider my decisiion to follow him until the police arrived to have instigated the other person's death. Honestly, I'd have considered myself a good citizen looking out for my neighbors and my neighborhood. The other person's death would have been instigated when he pulled the gun and threatened my life. Just the way I see it.
July 15, 201313 yr Is profiling not considered a violation of one's civil rights? If that were the case then everyone living would be brought up on charges in this country. It may be a civil rights violation depending on what type of profiling was being done. But in this case, I don't see it.
July 15, 201313 yr 46 phone calls to police from August 2004 to the time of the shooting. 6 made in the few weeks before the shooting. Wording he used on the calls "male subject" "YOA (years of age)" "last seen wearing" "unknown subjects." He also asked a minister to write a letter of recommendation when he applied to be an officer. And I have made probably between 8-10( maybe more) calls to 911 or local police for various events and 2-3 visits to the local police station to report suspicious activity/behavior all within the past 2 years. If my neighborhood had an organized "watch", I'm sure I would have made many more calls to either 911 or the police station than what I have. Does this make me a "wanna be" as well? I don't know GZ of course, but to me you need to show a lot more than that. You say "wanna be", I say responsible citizen trying to protect his neighborhood (in relation to his history of making calls to 911/local police).
July 15, 201313 yr The biggest issue I have is when some folks have said TM shouldn't have gone back to GZ. Agreed, it was a bad decision. But those same people seem to dismiss the fact that Zimmerman made the first bad decision by pursuing TM in the first place. They can't have it both ways. Not to pick on you Deuce but just using your post as a example of several I have seen. I keep seeing the word "pursue" and "pursuing" used in this thread and/or when describing GZ. Definition: 1. To follow in an effort to overtake or capture; chase: a fox that was pursued by hounds. This was NOT what GZ was doing. There is a HUGE difference in following someone and "pursuing" someone. If anything, in the end, it appears it was TM that "pursued" GZ and attacked him
July 15, 201313 yr And I have made probably between 8-10( maybe more) calls to 911 or local police for various events and 2-3 visits to the local police station to report suspicious activity/behavior all within the past 2 years. If my neighborhood had an organized "watch", I'm sure I would have made many more calls to either 911 or the police station than what I have. Does this make me a "wanna be" as well? I don't know GZ of course, but to me you need to show a lot more than that. You say "wanna be", I say responsible citizen trying to protect his neighborhood (in relation to his history of making calls to 911/local police). Respond to all of my post. Not just one piece. Edited July 15, 201313 yr by Clyde
July 15, 201313 yr Joe Deeks @JoeDeeks 14 Jul Kim Kardashian tweeted 'no justice' in reference to the George Zimmerman case. Her Dad was OJ Simpson's lawyer.
July 15, 201313 yr Either take my entire response and respond to all of it or don't respond at all. That was the majority of and major portion of your post which I responded to, the 46 phone calls. When asked by 911 operators for information I may give similar responses that you had in "", though I don't recall using abbreviations. Seems to me the major point in your post was the phone calls.
July 15, 201313 yr That was the majority of and major portion of your post which I responded to, the 46 phone calls. When asked by 911 operators for information I may give similar responses that you had in "", though I don't recall using abbreviations. Seems to me the major point in your post was the phone calls. Pretty straight forward: Lots of calls Uses police jargon Asked a minister to write a LOR for a police position When you look at the full picture it's certainly not unreasonable to think he has a huge desire to play police officer.
July 15, 201313 yr Not to pick on you Deuce but just using your post as a example of several I have seen. I keep seeing the word "pursue" and "pursuing" used in this thread and/or when describing GZ. Definition: 1. To follow in an effort to overtake or capture; chase: a fox that was pursued by hounds. This was NOT what GZ was doing. There is a HUGE difference in following someone and "pursuing" someone. If anything, in the end, it appears it was TM that "pursued" GZ and attacked him Semantics, in my opinion. Following and pursuing are interchangeable. I see your point, but I still think they are relatively the same thing. GZ followed him with the intent to confront him.
July 15, 201313 yr Pursuing (to me) is following, just a shade quicker. Following/tailing, pursuing, chasing.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.