Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NL All Star Team

Featured Replies

Wow, call me lazy and you're wrong. That's a smart move. :thumb:

 

I wasn't wrong about the guy playing 16 seasons and hitting -.272, there just happened to be two people with those numbers. Regardless, it got you your answer. Good enough?

  • Replies 102
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

 

I wasn't wrong about the guy playing 16 seasons and hitting -.272, there just happened to be two people with those numbers. Regardless, it got you your answer. Good enough?

 

Never said it wasn't good enough.

 

I was correct in my assumption about him playin for the Reds though, but I'm done. They are both great closers who strike fear in their opponents.

  • Author

 

I wasn't wrong about the guy playing 16 seasons and hitting -.272, there just happened to be two people with those numbers. Regardless, it got you your answer. Good enough?

 

Actually you were.

 

 

http://m.bbref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXoXXoberkke01.shtml

5 Cardinals named to the All Star team:

 

"Yadier Molina, Carlos Beltran, Matt Carpenter, Adam Wainwright and Allen Craig will represent the Cardinals for National League in the 2013 All-Star Game."

You have already been set straight by everyone who has responded to this (yet you agree to disagree), but I will through in a pretty good reference on this one. Hank Aaron said the biggest obstacle to hitting is overcoming fear of being hit by a pitch.

 

I've not been straight set on anything. Your opinion is that he's more intimidating but I've yet to see one price of factual information from players, managers, etc. that say he is more intimidating than Kimbrel.

 

Name is actually pretty relevant.

 

Hank Aaron wasn't a good enough name for the Braves fan?

 

:ohbrother:

I can add this; from my baseball coach in college Steve Hamilton who knew a thing or two about pitching in the majors, and having been privy to some of the conversations of some of the greatest hitters of all time, and he told our staff this: It doesn't matter what your velocity is, if you want to get someone out away, you have to pitch inside. Sometimes you don't have to be on the plate inside. You need to be around the head inside. Then you have a chance to get him on the outside half because he won't dig in. He told stories of how Mantle made it a personal vendetta if someone threw one under the chin to see if he could hit the next one over the moon. He said the most important thing he did as a hitter was not to be intimidated, and the most difficult.

I'm not much of a Chapman fan, hell I think Kimbrel is the better pitcher, but to say Chapman isn't more intimidating is just asinine.

 

What's going to intimidate a hitter more, making an out (which they do at least 250-300 times a season) or having their career potentially cut short by taking a 100+MPH fastball off the dome?

Regarding the final vote, it'll be interesting to see if Gonzalez and Puig steal votes from one another from the Dodger faithful. Could it be a strategic move by Bochy to give Puig a shot, but also make it likely he doesn't make it?

I'm wearing ear plugs waiting for this name to drop...

 

:isurrender:

 

:lol2:

Okay the intimidating thing took on a life of its own. Who cares? Kimbrel is better.

Chapman is easily the more intimidating pitcher. Mujica from the Cardinals is 22 of 23 in saves this year, but that doesn't mean he even sniffs intimidation to opposing players. If you want a current player I recall Matt Holliday saying that he would leave Chapman in the closer spot because of his intimidation. Hopefully Holliday is enough of a source for ya.

 

Jim Maloney used to purposely throw the ball at the back stop and bounce it during warm-ups. Then he'd have his catchers tell the hitters he wasn't sure where the ball was going today so be on alert. Said he easily got in the head of probably the greatest player of all-time, Willie Mays, who would bail on almost every pitch. His .172 BA in 58 AB's vs Maloney should support Maloney's point.

 

Anyway, I know that these are old timers so you'll probably discard it but I thought I'd just share that anyway.

^ I really hope Freeman gets it, because I think he deserves to be an all-star. I'm betting Puig takes it in the end though.

 

Freeman is probably the only Atlanta positional player that had a serious chance after J. Upton fell off, but it was really disappointing that not a single positional player for the Braves was on the team.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.