Rule Question

Okay add a twist...what if the pitcher makes an attempt and deflects the ball to hit a baserunner?

Runner wouldn't be out simply for being hit. It would depend on if another fielder had a play on the ball. If so then it is interference.

Runner wouldn't be out simply for being hit. It would depend on if another fielder had a play on the ball. If so then it is interference.

Correction. Unless runner intentionally hits the ball he/she is protected once it's deflected.

Correction. Unless runner intentionally hits the ball he/she is protected once it's deflected.

I think there is some sort of exception for the pitcher. We had a play where the ball hit the pitcher deflected off of her knee hit the girls simply running to the next base and the deflected ball hit the base runner. The runner was called out even though the ball had been deflected off the pitcher.

That all being explained it doesn't mean the umpire made the right call.

I think there is some sort of exception for the pitcher. We had a play where the ball hit the pitcher deflected off of her knee hit the girls simply running to the next base and the deflected ball hit the base runner. The runner was called out even though the ball had been deflected off the pitcher.

That all being explained it doesn't mean the umpire made the right call.

the call was correct, the pitcher is not considered a fielder, so if the ball deflects off the pitcher then hits the runner, they are out UNLESS it's already passed another infielder and no one else has a play on the ball.

the call was correct, the pitcher is not considered a fielder, so if the ball deflects off the pitcher then hits the runner, they are out UNLESS it's already passed another infielder and no one else has a play on the ball.

I've heard that, but that has to be a mis-interpretation. If that is the case, then should we teach our pitchers to try and swat the ball in the direction of a runner if its a close play that they think may not be able to make by catching and throwing the ball. Or better yet, should they just catch it and throw it at the runner?? I'm being silly, but what would keep them from either of those leading to an out? There has to be an exception when the pitcher is attempting to make a play on a ball.

I've heard that, but that has to be a mis-interpretation. If that is the case, then should we teach our pitchers to try and swat the ball in the direction of a runner if its a close play that they think may not be able to make by catching and throwing the ball. Or better yet, should they just catch it and throw it at the runner?? I'm being silly, but what would keep them from either of those leading to an out? There has to be an exception when the pitcher is attempting to make a play on a ball.

But if they swat it and it prevents your fielder from making a play, then it can be a deterrent. Most of these plays are split second reactions, so unlikely anyone would be slick enough to pull that out (though I wouldn't mind seeing it).

Keep in mind, there are differences between fielded and deflected (mainly the judgement of possession). Once it's fielded and thrown, all bets are off.

Slick, that is not correct. The pitcher only comes into play when its a ground ball that goes BY the pitcher without making contact. He is NOT a fielder at that point so the runner has to avoid the ball.

The runner is not out when it's the result of a deflected ball by any fielder including the pitcher.

Slick, that is not correct. The pitcher only comes into play when its a ground ball that goes BY the pitcher without making contact. He is NOT a fielder at that point so the runner has to avoid the ball.

The runner is not out when it's the result of a deflected ball by any fielder including the pitcher.

Good call Clyde....I remember this coming up years ago and talking about it, but I had some confusion in my interpretation. I had thought the part of exception 2 below read "The ball was deflected by a fielder, EXCEPT FOR the pitcher", but he is included as a fielder on the deflection. I mixed it up with part 1 in the pitcher not being considered a fielder.

Here is something that spells it our clearly I found.

A runner who is hit by a fair batted ball is ALWAYS OUT except when:

1) The fielder (other than the pitcher) had a chance to field the ball (the ball passed through or within arm's reach of the fielder) and failed AND no other fielder behind the play had a chance to field the ball or;

2) The ball was deflected by a fielder, including the pitcher or;

3) He was on a base and struck by a DECLARED infield fly