N KY High School Basketball Preview 1974-1975

I had a very nice older customer drop off a bit of N Ky history to me today. It was a copy of the KY Post from November 21, 1974 - the high school and college basketball preview. It is in brittle shape, but contains info on most of the high school teams and UK, Northern Kentucky State College, and TMC.

The advertisements are classic. Some businesses still around (Egelston-Maynard / Brown TV) others went bye-bye many years ago. The list of games broadcast by WHKK was impressive - 25 high school games, the entire NKSC schedule, and 7 TMC games. They even had the Coach Mote Hils show and Coach Jim Weyer show weekly.

Oh how things have changed in the last 40 years.

Wow. I love reading stuff like that. When I was in grade school & high school I read every sports story in the Post and Enquirer. I also like listening to games on the radio.

Right there with you. I actually would get the KY Post and keep my own stats for Conner players.

I was in 6th grade at the time. My memory says my basketball hero Ralph Parton of Conner would have been a junior that year.

Which Conner players got mentioned?

Your memory is right on. Ralph Parton is listed on the roster as a 5'4" Jr. Guard. He has a head shot picture with the caption "L'il big man"

Depleted Cougars start over - is the header. Full pictures of Steve Murphy, Greg Whitfield, and Jeff Morris. Head shot of coach Bill Warfield.

I followed the St Thomas Tomcats and the Thomas More Rebels.

St Thomas had Phil Hasson and Carl Hafele and were coached by Ken Shields.

TMC had Rick Batsche, Tony Arnzen, John Wehage, Mark Krebs, Bob McSorley, Ron Dawn, and Todd Bender and were coached by Jim Weyer

Your memory is right on. Ralph Parton is listed on the roster as a 5'4" Jr. Guard. He has a head shot picture with the caption "L'il big man"

Depleted Cougars start over - is the header. Full pictures of Steve Murphy, Greg Whitfield, and Jeff Morris. Head shot of coach Bill Warfield.

Murphy was a good player.

Pretty cool, I was like GregPage as I read the KY post front and back as a kid. I kept scrapbooks in HS when I played and still have a lot of the basketball/baseball and football boxscores from the mid to late 80's. Good stuff...I will post a few pics tomorrow if I can locate it.

Stink, what team was Ricky Waller playing for that year? Holmes or Boone?

Boone.

Under the picture of him doing a reverse dunk " Rangy Rick Waller, a 6'7" transfer student from Holmes goes upsy-daisy for a reverse dunker in a practice session "

Coach Jim Connor also pictured.

I was in 6th grade at the time. My memory says my basketball hero Ralph Parton of Conner would have been a junior that year.

Which Conner players got mentioned?

Ralph Parton was your hero? Know him rather well as his younger brother Pat and I were friends.

I have lived in Fort Thomas all my life but know very little about HHS basketball in the era. Recognize only a few names from the 1974 roster.

I know coach Tom Russell now as a harness horse trainer.

Bud Dempsey was a junior on the squad.

The name that really sticks out is Kevin Shoupe, 6'1" senior forward. Anybody know Kevin back then, was he a nice player?

Boone.

Under the picture of him doing a reverse dunk " Rangy Rick Waller, a 6'7" transfer student from Holmes goes upsy-daisy for a reverse dunker in a practice session "

Coach Jim Connor also pictured.

Just think if BGP had been around when that transfer happened.

Ralph Parton was your hero? Know him rather well as his younger brother Pat and I were friends.

They may be related but Pat isn't his brother. Ralph had one brother who died at a young age.