Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

David McFarland new coach at Ryle

Featured Replies

IMO the size of the school is immaterial.

 

From what perspective? My point on size is, a 6A school is a much more desirable job with top level candidates interested. I don't know what the pool of candidates looked like, but for a school like Ryle I would expect a good number of successful, experienced head coaches to have interest. If you step over those candidates for an inexperienced coach, that is risky ... gutsy ... whatever you want to call it.

  • Replies 74
  • Views 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

 

Is your surprise around being able to evaluate him without having met him or is it around actually writing a rec?

 

 

For me, it would be about writing an unsolicited LOR.

 

In a standardized LOR format, one of the first questions asked is how do you know the person, and then how long have you known the individual. To answer that question - don't know them and have never met them - would make the impact very minimal for me as an evaluator.

 

 

 

Back to the thread, Congrats to Coach McFarland.

Congrats to D Mac! Ryle is very fortunate to have him.

Didn't expect this, but congratulations! On somewhat related news........ Oh wait, can't say that today. LOL. :sssh::arghh:

For me, it would be about writing an unsolicited LOR.

 

In a standardized LOR format, one of the first questions asked is how do you know the person, and then how long have you known the individual. To answer that question - don't know them and have never met them - would make the impact very minimal for me as an evaluator.

 

 

 

Back to the thread, Congrats to Coach McFarland.

 

You took the words right out of my mouth. I know I would be hesitant to write a LOR without feeling that I had a good understanding of a person's character, integrity, etc. many people wear a mask in public and appear to be something they are not. I'm not in any way saying that is the case here,and I find it equally as intriguing that the coach would ask someone he never met to writ one.

Steve McFarland will be staying at Dixie.

I like the hire and wish him all the best!!! A couple comments:

 

* The AD better hope he got this right...

* David, trust me here, do not bring your brother into the picture. Nothing against him, just best for you.

 

I agree here. Great hire for Ryle, as David appears to be a good, hungry young coach. However,with the politics of HS basketball, I agree it's best that young McFarland continue coaching at Dixie, and with Shining Stars basketball. Just don't want to make it a political, or family affair in your first big gig. Maybe after he has established himself within the program... Then, it might be an okay idea.

For me, it would be about writing an unsolicited LOR.

 

In a standardized LOR format, one of the first questions asked is how do you know the person, and then how long have you known the individual. To answer that question - don't know them and have never met them - would make the impact very minimal for me as an evaluator.

 

.

 

I'd argue they got an unbiased opinion from me. Why do I have to have met him in person to know how he coaches, how he works with kids, and how he handles himself when I saw it up close? I also know plenty of people who DO know him and I trust those people when they speak highly of him as a person.

 

If my LOR had no impact so be it. No harm done. However, I think highly enough of him to offer said unbiased opinion.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I know I would be hesitant to write a LOR without feeling that I had a good understanding of a person's character, integrity, etc. many people wear a mask in public and appear to be something they are not. I'm not in any way saying that is the case here,and I find it equally as intriguing that the coach would ask someone he never met to writ one.

 

Let's be clear. David McFarland NEVER asked me to write a LOR. Hell, he couldn't pick me out of a lineup.

Let's be clear. David McFarland NEVER asked me to write a LOR. Hell, he couldn't pick me out of a lineup.

 

Equally intriguing.

I like the hire and wish him all the best!!! A couple comments:

 

* The AD better hope he got this right...

* David, trust me here, do not bring your brother into the picture. Nothing against him, just best for you.

 

I'm glad Steven is staying at Dixie. No doubt the best thing for the both of them.

Out of the 40+ applications, there were some great candidates. I believe the teaching position availability and acumen in the classroom were also factored in heavily in addition to outstanding character and coaching ability. I believe the committee did an outstanding job when considering all factors weighted into the decision. I have been a big D-Mac fan since watching how he played the game at Boone and NKU and seeing how he coaches. And, congrats to D-Mac and his wife on Baby #1 coming to a delivery room near you in September. A couple of big life changes but he will handle them well. The kids will love playing for him! God bless David!

He is also great working with younger kids teaching them how to be a better basketball player.

I'm glad Steven is staying at Dixie. No doubt the best thing for the both of them.

 

I believe him staying at Dixie has more to do with him still being in school than anything.

He is also great working with younger kids teaching them how to be a better basketball player.

 

The Dixie kids and kids who played for him with Shining Stars absolutely love him and how he relates to them.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.