Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

David McFarland new coach at Ryle

Featured Replies

Let's be clear. David McFarland NEVER asked me to write a LOR. Hell, he couldn't pick me out of a lineup.

 

So why do you think a letter of recommendation from you would have any bearing whatsoever. An unsolicited letter of recommendation is meaningless in most circules.

  • Replies 74
  • Views 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why do you think a letter of recommendation from you would have any bearing whatsoever. An unsolicited letter of recommendation is meaningless in most circules.

 

I've explained it but I'll explain it again.

 

There was nothing to lose by taking 5 minutes and writing a LOR. If they looked at it and said "who?" and totally disregarded it then I was out 5 minutes, right? However, if they looked at it and said "interesting viewpoints from someone who isn't family or friends ie unbiased" then it had value. So there was no downside to it and only a potential upside. If I could add anything to his chances then it was worth it. Simple as that.

 

 

Maybe it's unusual. Maybe not. Not sure. I don't see the fascination with it though like some do.

 

It certainly won't be the last time I do it.

So why do you think a letter of recommendation from you would have any bearing whatsoever. An unsolicited letter of recommendation is meaningless in most circules.

 

Let me ask you this.

 

When you apply for a job and they want a letter of recommendation or references isn't that just a waste of time? You're going to go to a friend or a colleague that likes you and they're going to say a bunch of nice things, right? So, in reality, what's the value of that? They know what's coming back - nice things said by someone who likes you. That has value?

Let me ask you this.

 

When you apply for a job and they want a letter of recommendation or references isn't that just a waste of time? You're going to go to a friend or a colleague that likes you and they're going to say a bunch of nice things, right? So, in reality, what's the value of that? They know what's coming back - nice things said by someone who likes you. That has value?

 

Curious why would they want a letter of recommendation from you?

Curious why would they want a letter of recommendation from you?

 

Who said they wanted one?

Thread title is: David McFarland new coach at Ryle

 

Congrats to Coach McFarland. Best of luck at Ryle.

Back to the topic....

 

Just heard from a reliable source that former Boone and NKU teammate, Travis Rasso, will be joining David's staff at Ryle, possibly as JV head coach.

Who said they wanted one?

 

Its a nice gesture. Though Clyde is assuming a letter from him has significance. Kind of like i wrote a letter of recommendation for Calipari to Mitch Barnhart. Im sure Cal appreciated it, even if it had no bearing on the hire.

This was Clyde's first comment on the LOR.

 

 

Outstanding. I actually wrote a letter of recommendation for David. I've never met him but being around and seeing him up close made it obvious to me he is ready for the gig.

 

I interpreted this as Clyde thinking highly of David McFarland, so much so, that he wanted to pass that on, as Clyde often does about different people, coaches and players on BGP.

 

Its a nice gesture. Though Clyde is assuming a letter from him has significance.

 

Those are your words, not Clyde's.

 

Back to the thread topic.

My sons play on AAU teams with some Ryle kids. I'm anxious to hear their thoughts on the new coach.

An unsolicited letter of recommendation from Clyde would be a very nice addition to the portfolio of any aspiring coach trying to get a job... especially in NKY. It's not like some Joe Schmo writing a letter that has no perspective or useful purpose to the hiring committee.

 

A very cool gesture that I am sure McFarland appreciates.

I saw that Steven Mac might be looking to get into college coaching... Any thoughts on this? Or, ideas where?

Its a nice gesture. Though Clyde is assuming a letter from him has significance. Kind of like i wrote a letter of recommendation for Calipari to Mitch Barnhart. Im sure Cal appreciated it, even if it had no bearing on the hire.

 

G1, pay attention. I never said it "had significance." I said that if it helped at all then it was worth the time it took.

Back to the topic....

 

Just heard from a reliable source that former Boone and NKU teammate, Travis Rasso, will be joining David's staff at Ryle, possibly as JV head coach.

 

I had this confirmed, Rasso will be the JV coach for Ryle next season.

I had this confirmed, Rasso will be the JV coach for Ryle next season.

 

I can't believe it. Ryle must really want to be the Ryle Rebels. They have one of their own great players, and a great teacher by the way, in Dustin Margrave teaching in the building but would rather have a Rebel be their head and JV coach.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.